Cadets 2017

10 minutes ago, dcikon2 said:

Did the Cadets have a rough night?  I noticed their score dropped .9 over Allentown.  I also noticed a couple of the sub-captions are hurting the corps right now.  These scores don't appear to be changing much.

Sitting live in both Chester and Allentown, there were a number of moments in Allentown that felt flatter than in Chester. That said, many parts were also far better in Allentown, especially the closer. I'd say the score and spread to Boston were fair on Saturday.

5 hours ago, Ediker said:

Keep pushing!

This thread is about to break 950 pages!

I'll fan the flame.  1979 was the last year The Cadets (then Garfield Cadets) did not win a single show.  Not one.  Finished 2nd or below every single night.  I'm not saying winning is everything, but it's a barometer of which tier you occupy in the activity.  Win a couple, and at least you're in the conversation with upper level corps.  Win a lot, and you're a candidate for a medal or a championship.  Win zero and you have to examine what's happening.  Even the Christmas show, the Cancer show, the Alice Acid Trip show, and other questionable shows won a few here and there.  The teaching was superior even if the product had flaws.  

What weight do you think it has that the Cadets will go an entire season without knowing what it means to be the best at something, even for one night?

Disclaimers: Sure, you can be the best at shining your bucks and buckles (do they still have buckles?), but that's not the topic of the post.  Also, technically it's still a possibility for them to win the Massillon, OH show or DCI Prelims, Semis, or Finals ... but the odds are not in their favor.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, corps8294 said:

Wow! When was the last time the Blue Stars beat the Cadets (Garfield Cadets) in any caption? Probably have to go back to the '70s for that! :thumbup:

That would be a great post for the Blue Stars thread!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Shewhois said:

The tour premiere they beat Cadets in drums.

Also, an (edit: GE) judge that gave them an 18.8 last night gave them an 18 tonight. Rough night apparently, it happens. Move on, get better.

The judge must have been told to manage his numbers better by the Chief Judge because his 19.5 for BD Fri night was lower tonight. Seems like the top 5 all were lower tonight by that one judge. Maybe M. Kelley should not be judging if he can't manage his numbers better!

• Like 2

Definitely weird changes from last night with some of the same judges....hmmm they can't win for losing this year.  One step forward, two back.

I wish I could say I think the brass are being underscored, but honestly, they aren't.  Percussion I can't speak to.

• Like 1

Haha George Dixon, I am trying to look for ways that the Cadets come back from these past 2 years, and I am just not seeing it right now.

Maybe we are too "in it" to have a good perspective, but its not good.  Seems a lot like what happened to 27th Lancers in the 80s, which I cannot remember personally, I just know from history and stories.

Didn't the staff all go to Cadets, and then their placement kept dropping, and they folded?

I don't see Cadets folding, but less than 2 years ago they essentially won the Ott and Sanford and this year they could get 8th place or lower in both.  Pretty astounding.

Edited by cadet93
  • Like 1

Just now, cadet93 said:

Seems a lot like what happened to 27th Lancers in the 80s, which I cannot remember personally, I just know from history and stories.  Didn't the staff all go to Cadets, and then their placement kept dropping, and they folded? 

http://www.corpsreps.com/corpsreps.cfm?view=corpsdet&corps=4&corpstype=Junior

You're probably right about some of their staff leaving for the Cadets.  Like the Cavies feel they took a hit after Mike Gaines left, 27th took a hit when G. Zingali left.  When the smoke clears after next Saturday night, some will feel the Cadets took a hit this year after some key staff left after the 16 season, even though they picked up some staff with success in previous years.

• Like 1

Either Cadets had a bad run tonight or the judges got a really bad read on the show. What I hope it isn't is a case of the corps continuing to add stuff to the show. Part of me just gets the sense that the judges are going to dock them for being so dirty this late in the summer.  I still like this show so much more than last year and feel the corps is overall way better than 2016, and better positioned to have a very successful 2018.  But if I were to nitpick, it seems to me that over the last 2 or 3 years the Cadets have lost their ability to really put the spit and polish on a show. In recent years it seems they are more concerned with adding things to their shows than they are with cleaning. I think there is a point in the season where it is too late to be worrying about whether or not you have the perfect show. Carolina Crown does not have a perfect show, but they did the smart thing early in the season. They cleaned, cleaned, cleaned. They, like all corps, made some changes to the closer, but they have not mucked with the show like the Cadets have. Crown seems to understand that cleanliness improves all captions. With the Cadets it feels like they are throwing the kitchen sink at every aspect of their show -- even though i know they are not. But they do seem to muck around too much.  The Cadets need to learn to clean again. Hopefully they will finish strong in Indy.  Come next summer they need to find a better way to design their show in a manner that they can come out much cleaner than the last 2 years. 

Edited by jwillis35
  • Like 3