Cadets 2017

Andy Warntz and wife Deb hosted a tremendous and now annual Holy Bass reunion at Allentown with over 60 past bass drummers (plus many others) present for the BBQ and induction of the age-outs of 2016. Jerede's "donation" led to an unequaled car "raffle" which with the annual tee shirt sale funds some nice tour fees for Cadets bass players. Cavaliers may have their Secret Society but Cadets have a special fraternity with the likes of Holy Bass.  Well done lads and thanks for the welcome.

Edited by xandandl
  • Like 4

Just now, xandandl said:

Andy Warntz and wife Deb hosted a tremendous and now annual Holy Bass reunion at Allentown with over 60 past bass drummers (plus many others) present for the BBQ and induction of the age-outs of 2016. Jerede's donation led to a phenomenal car raffle which with the annual tee shirt sale funds some nice tour fees for Cadets bass players. Cavaliers may have their Secret Society but Cadets have a special fraternity with the likes of Holy Bass.  Well done lads and thanks for the welcome.

Don't forget this also serves as a CPit reunion as well. Every year. Andy does a GREAT job and is a tremendous Cadet Alum!

• Like 2

Just now, MusicManNJ said:

Don't forget this also serves as a CPit reunion as well. Every year. Andy does a GREAT job and is a tremendous Cadet Alum!

Wasn't quite sure whether CPit was an annual co-joint as Trooper Kelly and Donna Schiavone had a separate gig going downfield for those with elite invites. Miss S booted some out I was told by a most reliable source. Needs more work on the "Forgiven" part of the show title . But water under the bridge for now...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

15 IMO was on track til the uniform change. that show was all about speed, and the black hid that. Their drop can be seen tracking the scores from the night the uniforms debuted. 

but really when you keep adding. adding, adding, changing, changing, changing....you run out of time to clean. Sure 15 years ago it Cadets, BD and Cavies then mostly everyone else...well everyone else has gotten a lot better! Crown and Bloo, SCV usually in the mix but this year moreso...Cavies amking a comeback now, plus Boston charging up, and 8-10 no slouches either. 

They dropped before the uniforms and that sped it up. If you talk to members that year they were frustrated with the non ending then the new ending then changing the new ending then being left with "not enough time to clean" fully

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, xandandl said:

I have seen the show a half dozen times now from the box and from percussion fan level as well as in between. The kids are definitely working the hardest although it seems that some lack focus for that long. It was never politically correct to ask in previous seasons who had ADD or were in specialized one on one classes. Today it is a necessity given the multi-layering of demand required of the performer and for the safety of other performers. Who can stay focused and on spot for the longest especially as shows have now been increased in timing as well (from first sight by the audience and judge to last sight by audience and judge, not just when Tony DiCarlo flips his wings)??? 

The sad measure of reality is the recaps of the COMBINED Allentown score sheets which John Donovan posted here on DCP.

It's not the GE which is sagging (no that is rating 5th or so.). It is the music scores and subcaptions which are the downfall. NINTH and sevenths in totals, and the culprits are both content/rep. and performance/achievement issues. [Guard scores are most subjective of all so I don't worry about that judging, not until we get two judges for Guard at Regionals and Championships.] But the music scores (both brass and percussion) reveal the lacking of proper training in the winter, the development of teaching over the season, and the type of preparation in the lot. Some might erroneously put it all at the feet of young Michael Terry who's going to hit thirty at his next birthday. He had little (no pun intended) effect on percussion scores. But where are the phenomenal techs hired to replace those who went to Boston?  Drew and Tom Aungst have been around the track a few times; did we get the best replacements?  Why wasn't this preparation better?  

Chip Crotts now handling SCV brass could just as easily have been landed at Cadets if the corps was still a priority at YEA not just what we do during the months that aren't band season. John Bilby has done wonders with pulling the marching program up in his few weeks here; Bobby Jones wrote a fine drill that is quite doable to the music. But the extended training and growth of the music lines haven't met the task while the corps takes extra break days at the beach in Daytona. It is an oddly written tour schedule without extended times for practice. Sure once upon a time the Cadets did as many as 41 shows in one season but never with a rookie filled line. I don't fault the kids. It's always the adults who are the problem. End of Rant.

You got it. This post GETS it. 

Sad reality is as a viewer from the outside in I'm not in a position to really do much. Just wish it was different but my expectations are very low. 

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, MikeRapp said:

I dare say there isn't a corps out there who could medal with the three cadets show concepts.

Good points in your entire post. Are you saying the three show concepts of this year?  I think the show concept this year was great.

Many painters, for example, will say they know when their painting is done when they recognize that continued work will only make it worse. It appears that sensibility was not present during Cadets' design adjustments this summer. They got a lot of things right, design-wise, at different points during this season. There just seemed to be an impatience with allowing the muscle memory, and execution levels to set (and rise).  The design was repeatedly blamed, and changed, instead of being allowed to mature.

The door is still open for "the process" to work and the finals night assessment to vindicate it, so I'll try to stop talking about the season as if it is over. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, xandandl said:

I have seen the show a half dozen times now from the box and from percussion fan level as well as in between. The kids are definitely working the hardest although it seems that some lack focus for that long. It was never politically correct to ask in previous seasons who had ADD or were in specialized one on one classes. Today it is a necessity given the multi-layering of demand required of the performer and for the safety of other performers. Who can stay focused and on spot for the longest especially as shows have now been increased in timing as well (from first sight by the audience and judge to last sight by audience and judge, not just when Tony DiCarlo flips his wings)??? 

The sad measure of reality is the recaps of the COMBINED Allentown score sheets which John Donovan posted here on DCP.

It's not the GE which is sagging (no that is rating 5th or so.). It is the music scores and subcaptions which are the downfall. NINTH and sevenths in totals, and the culprits are both content/rep. and performance/achievement issues. [Guard scores are most subjective of all so I don't worry about that judging, not until we get two judges for Guard at Regionals and Championships.] But the music scores (both brass and percussion) reveal the lacking of proper training in the winter, the development of teaching over the season, and the type of preparation in the lot. Some might erroneously put it all at the feet of young Michael Terry who's going to hit thirty at his next birthday. He had little (no pun intended) effect on percussion scores. But where are the phenomenal techs hired to replace those who went to Boston?  Drew and Tom Aungst have been around the track a few times; did we get the best replacements?  Why wasn't this preparation better?  

Chip Crotts now handling SCV brass could just as easily have been landed at Cadets if the corps was still a priority at YEA not just what we do during the months that aren't band season. John Bilby has done wonders with pulling the marching program up in his few weeks here; Bobby Jones wrote a fine drill that is quite doable to the music. But the extended training and growth of the music lines haven't met the task while the corps takes extra break days at the beach in Daytona. It is an oddly written tour schedule without extended times for practice. Sure once upon a time the Cadets did as many as 41 shows in one season but never with a rookie filled line. I don't fault the kids. It's always the adults who are the problem. End of Rant.

I'm not gonna blame Tom. The battery is smoking hot. And he can only write to work with what the brass gives him. and 7th in percussion is still ###### impressive because the quality in DCi this year surpasses any other year ever top to bottom

• Like 2

1 hour ago, George Dixon said:

They dropped before the uniforms and that sped it up. If you talk to members that year they were frustrated with the non ending then the new ending then changing the new ending then being left with "not enough time to clean" fully

Happens a lot!

1 hour ago, xandandl said:

Wasn't quite sure whether CPit was an annual co-joint as Trooper Kelly and Donna Schiavone had a separate gig going downfield for those with elite invites. Miss S booted some out I was told by a most reliable source. Needs more work on the "Forgiven" part of the show title . But water under the bridge for now...

It has been (and Kelly and Donna have attended in the past). Not sure why they were off on their own since I did not attend Saturday as I normally do. They are all great Cadets alum!

On ‎8‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 8:47 AM, Slingerland said:

But if it's going to be sung, at least have her pronounce the word "new" correctly (in formal/classical setting, "new" has the same "u" as "music" - it's not pronounced "noo").

As in "she turned me into a newt."?

Mike