Carolina Crown 2017

11 minutes ago, Tobias said:

Crown is moving into new territory and great for them. Each corps must evolve otherwise you stagnate and start slipping in ranks. RIGHT NOW, the show is not as strong as the some of its parts (captions are solid) BUT, if they can perform like this in ST, they have plenty of opportunity later to add clarity to the show. I have no idea what it's about but that Brass plays and moves well and the guard didn't miss a beat losing its caption head and half its members to another corps. In the past 2007-2015, I loved Crown after one viewing. This show will hopefully grow on me as they clarify. 

the show sort of "devolves" into Star 93... I get the feeling Crown wants to be a bit more modern and artistic and a bit less BOA going forward, this show may serve as a "bridge" toward that. I disagree about the guard which appears to be behind last year's at this juncture. The corps appears younger and less confident as performers. Still a top six type product for sure. Layering will add a ton this summer but they may not be the "crowd favorite" they typically are. Crowds will still love that big look and huge brass sound but the show arc might be problematic with non-regional type stadiums. This could be the corps competing with Boston by Indy for the sixth spot IMO - which would make for an interesting dynamic. However - all this can change quickly with more practice, layering and a few easy fixes. Let's see what they have planned. It's an incredibly talented membership and staff so I'd take a "wait and see" approach on Crown 2017

37 minutes ago, Relics said:

Geesh. Jim Coates specifically asked not to post your videos until after the preview show. Show some respect. 

and yet you just quoted it as well in your reply?

4 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

the show sort of "devolves" into Star 93... I get the feeling Crown wants to be a bit more modern and artistic and a bit less BOA going forward, this show may serve as a "bridge" toward that. I disagree about the guard which appears to be behind last year's at this juncture. The corps appears younger and less confident as performers. Still a top six type product for sure. Layering will add a ton this summer but they may not be the "crowd favorite" they typically are. Crowds will still love that big look and huge brass sound but the show arc might be problematic with non-regional type stadiums. This could be the corps competing with Boston by Indy for the sixth spot IMO - which would make for an interesting dynamic. However - all this can change quickly with more practice, layering and a few easy fixes. Let's see what they have planned. It's an incredibly talented membership and staff so I'd take a "wait and see" approach on Crown 2017

Well the "show arc" is difficult to follow. As far as guard, it's certainly not 2016, but there is maturity there so I think they'll clean up nicely. Again, I don't like to go crazy in ST. Different groups process at different paces and I tend to get blown away by CrownBrass but if you dig deeper into the show, that's where my concerns are. Again, a mature group that will be able to digest changes as the season progresses.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

Let's not leave Phantom out of this race for 6th ;)

5 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

Let's not leave Phantom out of this race for 6th ;)

yeah - haven't seen anything from them, BK and others yet. 6th could get quite crowded. So could the top 3 as we have at least 6/7 corps all aiming for a medal

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

I think he was referring to the guard as not letting the talent slip because of staff changes when he said skipping a beat. The only thing I see them behind in is completion of the show the writing is going to be drifferent obviously but nevertheless they still are keeping the task of CrownGuard!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Flguardman said:

I think he was referring to the guard as not letting the talent slip because of staff changes when he said skipping a beat. The only thing I see them behind in is completion of the show the writing is going to be drifferent obviously but nevertheless they still are keeping the task of CrownGuard!

go back and watch the guard in the preview show from last year - they are quite far behind

however I agree they will be a very great guard. So "the glass is half full" IMO

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

IMO, I think the crowds and the judges will struggle with this show until we get to San Antonio. This is a much different path for Crown, and I think its showing a bit in their progress during ST. Is that a bad thing - absolutely not. Being around the corps at rehearsals I can attest there is still the same level of talent in all three sections - but they've taught more layers of the show in ST than they have before in the past. In that respect, I think its difficult to compare previous seasons to this season. That said, I agree its going to be an uphill battle for the next couple of weeks until they get into cleaning mode (as previously mentioned they're still in teaching mode). I think its way too early to talk placement, but I wouldn't be surprised if they were 5-6 points behind the Bluecoats Thursday. And at that point, we'll begin to hear people talk about how Crown is going downhill and won't recover. I will be shocked if this isn't a top 3 show at the end of the season. Way too much talent in this group and with the design team not to be. 

Edited by Newseditor44