Carolina Crown 2017

Just now, George Dixon said:

I must be blind then 

Maybe!! 

• Like 2

Hmm.  Going to be interesting to see how this turns out.  Crown never has my attention at the beginning of the season, but undoubtedly secures it by Indy.  Don't think this year will be any different, but "it is" out there at first glance.

39 minutes ago, cube said:

i remember hearing the same things yall are saying every year...

See I don't. Crown has been the darling of DCI for 10-15 years now, and rightly so. They've put out some of the most widely loved shows of this century. They're known for writing memorable, audience-loved shows that are paired with insane drill & music demands executed at textbook perfect levels. To be honest, and I've been around this activity and these forums (lurking, at the least) for awhile, I do not recall an initial community reaction to a Crown show that was anything other than overall enthusiastic & positive. I'm sure there have always been naysayers, but to my recollection, Crown shows are met yearly with general enthusiasm and excitement. This show seems to have elicited a stark difference in community response.

• Like 8

56 minutes ago, cube said:

i remember hearing the same things yall are saying every year...

I certainly felt this way in 2015, but by the end of the season I really came to enjoy that show. So I'm certainly taking the "wait and see" approach, but part of me thinks they may have overplayed their hand with this show design.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, chaddyt said:

Hmm.  Going to be interesting to see how this turns out.  Crown never has my attention at the beginning of the season, but undoubtedly secures it by Indy.  Don't think this year will be any different, but "it is" out there at first glance.

I'd expect this year to be very different. They are incredible this year. Just incredible. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, UKSuperman said:

I'm not too worried. They clearly have something up their sleeves with this show and

1 hour ago, George Dixon said:

I must be blind then 

I agree with George. There is no comparison between last years preview and this year. Anyone who thinks so is completely jaded. Sorry. Watched them both back to back. They look like two completely different corps. I'm not saying they can't pull this off. But come on...seriously. My buddy who goes to finals with me but doesn't really follow dci year round was shocked when I showed him last nights preview. Said moments have that Crown flair but he would of never guessed it was them.

• Like 1

lol you would've never guessed it was them? Come on, I know the arrangements are a bit disappointing right now but they undoubtedly sound like Carolina Crown. That signature, beautiful brass sound is still there. The (often unnecessary) crazy runs, double tonguing, and balanced major chord exclamation marks are still there. 

On on another note, I just went back to the Crown 2015 thread back when the family day video was posted to see what the reactions ACTUALLY were like after that preview show. What I saw was that probably 75% of the reactions were positive and 25% were either meh or negative (I was one of those people). I don't think this many negative reactions to a preview show from Crown is common.  

Edited by Cappybara
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

lol you would've never guessed it was them? Come on, I know the arrangements are a bit disappointing right now but they undoubtedly sound like Carolina Crown. That signature, beautiful brass sound is still there. The (often unnecessary) crazy runs, double tonguing, and balanced major chord exclamation marks are still there. 

On on another note, I just went back to the Crown 2015 thread back when the family day video was posted to see what the reactions ACTUALLY were like after that preview show. What I saw was that probably 75% of the reactions were positive and 25% were either meh or negative (I was one of those people). I don't think this many negative reactions to a preview show from Crown is common.  

Of course my friend was being slightly facetious and not literal. But needless to say very disappointed with the show design. Their sound is undeniable Crown. And I agree. Not sure I've seen so many mixed reactions on social media to a Crown show. 

All I saw was the opener and I had to pause video and click over to DCP so I could scream "Crown!"  They sound SIGNATURE Crown.  Love the contrapuntal Bach in the opening - with the pushed tempo. 

Looking forward to the development of the extended vocal. 

Some stunning double-tonguing brass moments that we all expect from Crown. 

The avante-guard ballet positions accent very nicely.

Crown has never done a show that I didn't LOVE.

Edited by luv4corps