Carolina Crown 2017

As expected, they sound amazing. I have yet to hear live vocals in a drum corps show that I like and I feel the same with what I hear (although I think the Troopers came close with their Wild Horses show) I never doubt Crown to layer a show that is so tasty by the end of the season.  

7 minutes ago, brassdude6171 said:

Ya know, it feels like a WGI show to me, in that, for me, the majority of WGI shows (at least percussion) are designed along the lines of "let's do a ton of really cool stuff and try and make a show that fits it." I think this "It Is" show is just "It Is... Cool." Not much else to it. They just do a ton of cool stuff.

I'm sorry. There was absolutely nothing that screams cool in that show design.

Performed well, yes. Talent, yes.

Edited by GREENBLUE
  • Like 1

I'm not too worried. They clearly have something up their sleeves with this show and with the design team they assembled I really don't see the corps going anywhere anytime soon. We've yet to see the show completed, the preshow, or uniforms. Give it time. 

I for one am getting a 2013 mixed with 2009 vibe going on which, personally, I love! Can't wait to see this live next month!

2 minutes ago, UKSuperman said:

I'm not too worried. They clearly have something up their sleeves with this show and with the design team they assembled I really don't see the corps going anywhere anytime soon. We've yet to see the show completed, the preshow, or uniforms. Give it time. 

I for one am getting a 2013 mixed with 2009 vibe going on which, personally, I love! Can't wait to see this live next month!

Definitely agree, when I saw it 2 weeks ago it really did give a vibe of the grass is greener with a modern twist to it, and we all know how that show started and what they did with it all season to end in their first medal in world class.

Vocals after the ballad are... interesting. Curious to see which direction that goes.

Also getting strong BD '08/'13 vibes with all the white tubes across the field, although they seem to have a bit more life with the way Crown is using them.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, corps8294 said:

They are very talented and should place well; but, man o' man, is that a dull show. I feel like I was at an Up With People shindig. 

Hey -- when you are in the middle of a 7 month Navy Med Cruise and literally everyone around you only speaks Greek, an Up With People performance is pretty welcome. 

• Like 1

Seeing the comments so here are a couple things to consider - they still have about 30-60 seconds left to teach. The closer isn't complete, and I don't know if there is a preshow. That said, they haven't begun to layer or clean at this point (remember when we said they were a few days behind?). I'm guessing they're about a week behind (I don't know that for fact, but seems logical based on past seasons). I agree with most of the comments - there are some great moments here, but nothing logical to tie it all together... yet. Be paitent, it's coming, but those layers won't be here for a bit. I've said this to more than a few people, audiences are not going to like this show early in the year, then grow to like it towards the end. Give it time, it's June. 

Edited by Newseditor44

39 minutes ago, t.a.r.b. said:

Vocals after the ballad are... interesting. Curious to see which direction that goes.

Also getting strong BD '08/'13 vibes with all the white tubes across the field, although they seem to have a bit more life with the way Crown is using them.

There will be some interesting visuals added later this season that will make you see the field much differently than you see it now. We'll just leave it at that. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Jake W. said:

In all fairness, I've long thought the Giannini is an uninteresting piece and I've never been able to understand why it's such a staple of upper level concert band literature. 

Hey it's pretty much my favorite concert band piece ever. Opinions, man. I don't get why you'd hate it!

Edited by cube
  • Like 1