Bluecoats 2017 thread - Go Blooooooo!

37 minutes ago, DrumManTx said:

That is so awesome.  Holy crap.  

I swear I had a dream within the past 2 weeks that this would actually happen...

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, DrumManTx said:

That is so awesome.  Holy crap.  

This is one of the things that is incredibly cool about drum corps.  Quite a few times through the years, composers have taken the time to drop in and see their music performed in DCI fashion and it gave the kids an amazingly positive experience.  I still remember Chuck Mangione doing the color for Finals and being blown away that people were playing music at such a high level while moving so much.  Maynard too.  Rob McConnell was amazed that the '82 Devils were playing his music even faster than he did!

18 minutes ago, Tenoris4Jazz said:

This is one of the things that is incredibly cool about drum corps.  Quite a few times through the years, composers have taken the time to drop in and see their music performed in DCI fashion and it gave the kids an amazingly positive experience.  I still remember Chuck Mangione doing the color for Finals and being blown away that people were playing music at such a high level while moving so much.  Maynard too.  Rob McConnell was amazed that the '82 Devils were playing his music even faster than he did!

Now if Phantom could pull this off, THAT would be truly special.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Forevergreen said:

And I thought Bloo getting themselves and their equipment on and off the field last year was a task.  

Had the same feeling watching ensemble. Going to be a logistics PhD

On 6/12/2017 at 10:38 AM, Jurassic Lancer said:

As promised I will give you my woefully inadequate answer. John Vanderkolff is the visual designer and does chart the drill. The MM get dot books and learn the drill as written, but I think the plotted drill is more of an outline that John and Jim Moore use as a jumping off point to add layer upon layer. Many times John and Jim will work on projects in their staging sessions, experimenting with what will work or not work and then insert the more effective projects onto the outline to give it body. There are many times I will see the initial drill that hasn't been massaged and say to myself, there is going to be more body added here ... and here, etc., at a later time, and I am almost always right. But what fascinates me is that after the body has been added, and I think they will move on, the next day or even during an ensemble rehearsal, they will change it. Sometimes the change is a minor tweak, other times it is a huge change. And what is really amazing is that these huge changes are often made on the fly and only take a minute or so to implement, which speaks volumes about the learning / adapting ability of the corps. I am sure there is a ton more I can say, but I think you get at least a small flavor of what is going on.

Great explanation. I've not seen in in action, but I know that Vanderkoff likes to treat the field like a stage in musical theater. If you were to watch the visuals in Blast! you will get an idea of how he interprets movements on the field (stage right, left, front, back) and how he highlights various sections of the corps. Things like stage entrance, stage prep, stage performance, and stage exit are concepts and techniques that they use to highlight sections and/or ideas.  How they actually describe this to the members I have no idea. But over the last 3 years it's been very clear just how differently the Bluecoats interpret the football field. 

• Like 5

By the way, is there any doubt about the power and influence of the Bluecoats 2016 show now that we see so many corps coming out with costumes and bolder concepts for this upcoming season? The last 3 years have proven to be ground breaking for the activity.  The Bluecoats are a BIG part of that.  Certainly BD and Crown deserve some credit too, but I really feel like the "eyes" of the activity are on the Bluecoats.  Should be a fun summer!

• Like 4

#BlooForceOne 

UPDATE: 1 SEAT LEFT!  Msg me if interested. Alumni preferred.

** BLOO's last Spring Training Ensemble + Aerial Tour of Granville and Denison University! **

We'll be taking a Cessna 210 (6 seat, 200mph) aircraft on June 20th from the Cleveland area down to Granville, OH to watch the Bluecoats last Spring Training Ensemble.

We will leave in the morning and return later that night (after ensemble).

Includes beverages + snacks, aerial tour (weather permitting) of Granville + Denison, and 30 minute flight from Cleveland into Newark, OH airport.

GO BLOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

For videos of past flights: 

Edited by superOOk
  • Like 1