Bluecoats 2017 thread - Go Blooooooo!

Mando's Levitating Stick trick

pcaHA1L.jpg

• Like 7

10 hours ago, MikeRapp said:

What are the odds of a new ending? If the follow the leader drill is seen as not advantageous to scoring (may not be the case), would they consider a new ending?

I love the current ending but I know they are going to up their game on it somehow.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, BoaDci said:

Graham's comments in the description:

"This hit faces backfield because we wanted to try something different. Something new. Yes we could face front field but that's what makes us the Bluecoats. Willing to try the new, the different, the "never been done before". The hornline you hear through the speakers is live and is incredible because it's never been done before in a way like this. I love these people and I love what we do here. Thank you for your time and hope you enjoy!"

• Like 6

On 7/16/2017 at 10:04 AM, 3PoC said:

Congratulations to the Bloo percussion for winning 1st overall last night! I still think things will shuffle around a bit more with overall scores but wherever they place in the end, I think this show is a most worthy follow-up to last years tour de force championship season. Personally, I like this year better in most ways (Zappa!), and BD less (as an old timer, I get most of the references, they just don't do much for me at this point), but they execute like pros and earned a win last night. The only technical critique of Bloo that I'll mention here is the hocket sections at the beginning and end of the opener (I know the staff is on this) - incredible timing demand there that I've only heard totally locked in on 1 or 2 videos of practice runs (not so great last night). Those passages remind me of the Tuba feature from '15 that took almost the whole season to get consistently locked in, but when it did was super tasty. It's so prominent this year that it has to be nailed or else it could negatively effect initial impressions of the music program. It is so cool when they nail it though. Go Bloo!

I'm the opposite, I prefer BD this year, and Bluecoats last year. Musically, however, I like this year's Bloo better, but the visual last year was just so cool. It ain't half bad this year either, and I would expect them to be there challenging on finals night - they are just too good not to be there.

• Like 5

58 minutes ago, mingusmonk said:

Graham's comments in the description:

"This hit faces backfield because we wanted to try something different. Something new. Yes we could face front field but that's what makes us the Bluecoats. Willing to try the new, the different, the "never been done before". The hornline you hear through the speakers is live and is incredible because it's never been done before in a way like this. I love these people and I love what we do here. Thank you for your time and hope you enjoy!"

I'm not sold....I might be if the mic'd pit didn't play non-sense over the winds when they turn back field. There's a balance issue once the turn happens. The video posted has NO pit. ..so all you hear is the winds, which for this particular ballad is what SHOULD be heard, not a bunch of runs by the front ensemble that is not needed and not true to the original piece.

Edited by PrfctTimeOfDay
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, PrfctTimeOfDay said:

I'm not sold....I might be if the mic'd pit didn't play non-sense over the winds when they turn back field. There's a balance issue once the turn happens. The video posted has NO pit. ..so all you hear is the winds, which for this particular ballad is what SHOULD be heard, not a bunch of runs by the front ensemble that is not needed and not true to the original piece.

The color changes as the turn is made. This is transotional and makes perfect sense. What no judge has yet grasped is that the synth is NOT PLAYING on the last chord!! That sub octave low Eb is created by the writing and Bloo's intonation. Yes, it is amplified (duh) but it is not processed in any way. 

The bottom line is that this event is designed for amplification, period. The hornline is amazing no matter what. Plenty of non-amped stuff to hear it, lol. 

• Like 8