What was the last show that started loud?

(I guess a lot of this has to do with the mainstreaming of the pre-show/announcement -while-playing segment, which almost seems like a requirement nowadays.)

It's time to get rid of all the unnecessary announcing. "Is your corps ready"? Have they ever said "no, we need more time"? Also, "DCI is proud to present The X" should be eliminated too after the corps is already performing.

• Like 3

It's time to get rid of all the unnecessary announcing. "Is your corps ready"? Have they ever said "no, we need more time"?

Actually, yes

Not in DCI that I remember, but I shook my head "no" when Fran Haring asked the question at 04 DCA prelims....the pit was having trouble with one of the instrument stands.

Sometimes the equipment set up isn't complete.

There's a REASON the question is asked....and it's NOT audience convenience.

It's time to get rid of all the unnecessary announcing. "Is your corps ready"? Have they ever said "no, we need more time"? Also, "DCI is proud to present The X" should be eliminated too after the corps is already performing.

I agree with 50% of your post...Is your corps ready..yes...proud to present...no

DCA example, but Sunrisers opener was loud from the get-go in 1985 (Adventures on Earth-Theme from ET).

Both in 1988:

Either, Madison Scouts opener (Concerto for Jazz guitar and Orchestra).

Or,

Star of Indiana's opener (Porgy and Bess) around 1:07 min. in.

Both caused some major "structure damage" that year (the Scouts won DCI too) and both were hailed as being the loudest corps ever for a long time.

Edited by Land_Surfer

Both in 1988:

Either, Madison Scouts opener (Concerto for Jazz guitar and Orchestra).

Perfect example. Even better when the drum major count off was in German!

Or,

Star of Indiana's opener Porgy and Bess) at about the 1:07 mark.

Both caused some major "structure damage" and both were hailed as being the loudest ever for a long time.

Such an underrated show. Crown is the spiritual successor to this type of design, I'd LOVE to hear them play that show note for note. Musically it's more than complex enough to be judged well today.

• Like 1

Phantom 2006, that Faust intro, got in your face immediately.

Probably the most recent one in this thread that I would say actually counts. It really is the pre-show trend that doesn't allow something like this today.