Confused about Judging?

If the 2016 Cadets were a 5th place Drumline, they just might've been the best 5th place Drumline in DCI history, imo.

Couldn't agree more. I was literally shocked at their placement

Not arguing the final percussion placements, but the numbers seemed to be all over the place during finals week.

Not arguing the final percussion placements, but the numbers seemed to be all over the place during finals week.

In my opinion many of the percussion judges are the ones that don't always tow the line...and I really like that about them...they put down a number they truly believe in based upon the performance in front of them...not what is expected of them...

Edited by Liahona
  • Like 3

In my opinion many of the percussion judges are the ones that don't always tow the line...and I really like that about them...they put down a number they truly believe in based upon the performance in front of them...not what is expected of them...

Yep. I'm sure many Cadets homers find the Cadets' brass and percussion scores hard to believe considering how great they have been in those captions historically. But I'm personally inclined to trust the numbers the judges gave. They were on the field and saw and heard more than anyone else did.

It's tempting to say the judges dropped the Cadets in performance due to them apparently not liking the design, but I don't really buy it. There are some performance sections of corps that have overcome bad design. For example, the Sanford winning percussion section of Phantom Regiment 2010 that came in 6th overall at finals

• Like 2

What confuses me is how Blue Devils B rocketed (excuse the pun) into 15th in Indy, thanks to a sudden upward jump of about three points compared to the rest of the field. I saw no corresponding jump in performance or design between Tuesday and Thursday.

Overall, it looks to me like the recap hiding exercise actually helped.

What confuses me is how Blue Devils B rocketed (excuse the pun) into 15th in Indy, thanks to a sudden upward jump of about three points compared to the rest of the field. I saw no corresponding jump in performance or design between Tuesday and Thursday.

Overall, it looks to me like the recap hiding exercise actually helped.

that was strange, they opened a 1 point gap over SCVC to 5 points in 3 days, figure it's more a ranking thing and they needed room between them for other corps but most the year, they were only a point apart

On threads like these, has anyone ever discussed OVER-CREDITING a corps, rather than perceived Under-Crediting? I do know when there's a numerical outlier within a caption, it's usually perceived that the higher score was "correct.'

On threads like these, has anyone ever discussed OVER-CREDITING a corps, rather than perceived Under-Crediting? I do know when there's a numerical outlier within a caption, it's usually perceived that the higher score was "correct.'

One number that looks like OVER-CREDITING might be Finals Night Blue Devils Color Guard. Grant that they may have been the best that night, but 0.3 better?

Ultimately the correct corps won and placements for the most part were ok.

As a CADETS homer My biggest take away was Cadets- 6th in brass, percussion and music I thought was a bit ambitious by the judges. Wondering who thought their particular corps was under scored in a particular caption.

I must agree. At Buffalo, NY the Cadets, despite many other problems with the show, were tied for first in overall music (1st in percussion and 2nd in brass). This was against all the TOC corps. I wasn't at Finals on Saturday, but I was at Semi Finals and to me the Cadets were clearly a top 3 percussion and brass line. They were a 5th or 6th place total unit for sure, so in that realm I thought placements came out fine. But their brass, percussion, and total music ensemble were dumped at Finals. I don't know, maybe their finals performance was bad.