Best Drill

Am I the only one that loved what Gaines did for the Cavaliers live, but when I've watched the videos over the years, it's impressive writing but looks rather dirty from a design standpoint?

Annnd the effort to start a fight continues. I never criticized the practice of selectively parking assets on the field for technical purposes. To harken back to the original post, my point is that Cadets have typically gone out of their way to take a "fire drill" approach to drill design. Crown hasn't, though they have made big strides in the movement department in recent years. It's a big difference in style, and I was wondering how it would shake out. I guess you're a bitter Crown homer and figured you'd troll me...not taking the bait. It's really unfortunate, as I have a lot of respect for the Crown organization, and have met many classy people that are associated with it. Have also had friends and acquaintances that worked with the Crown, too. For the record, I'd have been fine with them (or BD) winning this year. I felt that the two had the best shows and performances. Would be nice if you and the other trolls had a bit more respect the other direction, but I get the psychology of the situation...people have been hating on BD since the last couple of years I marched. Jealousy is nothing new. Carry on.

you trolled. you replied to the wrong poster. then you accuse me of "trolling". and then go on to say "some of my best friends worked there". call me the hater and then throw in the jealousy schmeer. lol.

no thanks.

you have a very nice drum corps.

Edited by corpsband

Wow lots of mudslinging

Eh, I thought the thread was pretty civil until someone accused another poster of giving a "backhanded comment" instead of applying the principle of charity.

Some favorites for overall drill that come to mind... Cadets '98 & '11, Cavies '02 & '03, Star '91.

Lately, really been diggin' Weber's work.

Edited by dcsnare93
  • Like 1

Eh, I thought the thread was pretty civil until someone accused another poster of giving a "backhanded comment" instead of applying the principle of charity.

the really interesting thing is that I got called out for it (even though I wasnt the poster who made the comment!).

the field coverage for the entire middle of Cadets 2011 was masterful. the way angels and demons go from the extreme ends of the field to the center, back to the ends, and back to center again with the intertwining blocks just before the ballad is maybe the best 5 minutes of drill from beginning to end i've ever seen.

and the last 30 seconds of drill for the show is equally great.

you trolled. you replied to the wrong poster. then you accuse me of "trolling". and then go on to say "some of my best friends worked there". call me the hater and then throw in the jealousy schmeer. lol.

"no thanks.

you have a very nice drum corps.

Nah, gonna call you on your own BS.

- First of all, I didn't reply to the wrong poster. His comment was trollish, and I'll normally blow off stuff like that. However, you had to jump in and double down. The original poster made a snotty comment but didn't write "hilarious to hear any BD fan talk about standing still at key moments. clear the floor -- gonna be rolling around on it!!"...but you're not trolling.

- You also wrote: "(ok - now ill jump on BD) unlike some corps who cleverly interleave tacit mover and standing still players to give the appearance of moving while playing hard stuff on the go. now that i've properly criticized BD feel free to flame away."...but you're not trolling (please explain how the bolded comment isn't overt trolling, please).

- You also wrote: "But i hate all the subtle ways they constantly play it safe"...but you're not trolling.

- I also never said ""some of my best friends worked there". I have friends and acquaintances that work/have worked there. You might try reading more closely.

I'm not sure what your deal is, corpsband. I made a simple comment about the difference in style of the new drill writer with the style they've done. As usual, someone gets immediately butthurt when anyone with a B and a D in their family tree says anything that can remotely be construed as criticism. Then they take it as another awful Blue Devil supporter asserting superiority because they've won a lot. Of course, it was nothing of the sort, but you're all too eager to jump on that and clearly reveal your enmity for BD (or hate or jealousy, pick a word that won't offend you if you can find one). It's just juvenile the way you've dealt with this thread. Thank you for letting me remember why anyone desiring a civil discussion might think twice before EVER posting in this site.

So about that drill...

It's really hard to pick a best ever to me. I know it's true in all aspects of the activity but for me personally there has been so much evolution on the visual side of things it's hard to discern something as the best ever. So many periods, and within each period there are a numerous amount of styles and approaches. George Zingali, Steve Brubaker, etc. all go without mentioning because of course they're legends in my minds eye. I know I find my own interest piqued around the 1993 - 2008 time period. I really find the visual programming of Star of Indiana 1993 to be incredibly interesting and exciting as much as the rest of the show is and is famous for. I love the late 1990s work of Jamey Thompson at the Glassmen and of course Myron Rosander at Santa Clara Vanguard (1998 for the former and latter being personal stickouts), Michael Gaines stuff is of course legendary from the early to mid 2000s Cavaliers, it's hard to find anything that rivals them from that era coming from an effect standpoint (though I do find tesmusic's point something that has crossed my mind before). And then of course Pete Weber's work which was mentioned previously is some of my favorite and in terms of my own personal taste some pretty dang effective stuff. Jeff Sacktig is a legend in his own right, spanning across all those eras. My favorite stuff of his is definitely late 1990s at The Cadets as well as 2005, 2007, 2009, and 2011 (hehe odd years).

Of course that is all personal opinion. And whatever I say next probably is too.

Today there are a myriad of approaches. Blue Devils obviously have a very distinct style in terms of staging and choreographed/transitional method intermixed with more traditional drill. Carolina Crown and The Cadets both are more run and gun, Carolina Crown mixing in some of the staging/choreographed stuff more than The Cadets. And then Bluecoats did a complete shift from more traditional stuff around 2013 when Vanderkloff came in, to 2016s which was VERY staging oriented, albeit pretty brilliantly. (Again personal opinion but that show was just absolutely seamless in terms of when and where people needed to be and how they got there. I also thought the guard staging was sublime).

If we're talking just drill and how effective it can be on its own without excessive choreography and body stuff, my vote goes to Michael Gaines early 2000s stuff. If we're talking a mix, I'd give it to what Blue Devils have been doing 2014 to now. More heavy on non traditional? I'd cast mine for Bluecoats 2016. Cadets 2011 was also a masterwork as has been stated. Just the uniforms didn't do that, Sacktig knowing how to make the uniforms achieve maximum effect did and he should be absolutely commended on that.

So my answer? lol I dunno. Too many greats.

So about that drill..

So my answer? lol I dunno. Too many greats.

Weber's drill is fascinating to watch. I often rewind just to study "how did he do that". But.. how often is his drill a "big effect" ?

But in terms of generating effect, I don't think anyone compares with Gaines. Effect from drill, effect from brass staging, effect from guard staging ( I don't think anyone has done this better). Maybe Sacktig comes close -- certainly A&D was a masterpiece. But IMHO Gaines stands at the top.

• Like 3