2017 Uniform Thread

6 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

Boston's uniforms, for me atleast, are not very palatable because they pretty much throw away every trace of what corps I'm looking at.

I will again mention '76 Bridgemen....

13 minutes ago, 84BDsop said:

If you feel, via what you're wearing, a connection to the show concept, you're more likely to be more invested in projecting that to the audience and judges...more so than normal, I'd guess.  BD '16 might be a good example...the vaguely Shakespearean uni touches won't be seen from the stands, but they'll be felt by the members.

This is an EXCELLENT observation, 84BDsop!

Confidence comes with feeling you look your best.  Like successful dieting!  Also true, today's intricate uniform designs DO work better close-up. As a (now) primarily home viewer, I have no doubt we are seeing a necessary progression in total production design.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, 84BDsop said:

And...?

im talking about my personal preferences here, I don't see how '76 Bridgemen is relevant.

29 minutes ago, 84BDsop said:

... who were intentionally throwing away most of their identity because it wasn't working for them.  From what I've read, there wasn't a middle ground on them in '76.  People either hated it or loved it.  Of course, when Diamond Jim Brady is wailing on Land of Make Believe, you start not caring about the unis so much!

Just now, Cappybara said:

And...?

im talking about my personal preferences here, I don't see how '76 Bridgemen is relevant.

You said " Boston's uniforms, for me atleast, are not very palatable because they pretty much throw away every trace of what corps I'm looking at. "

76 Bridgemens change from cadets to the banana coats is VERY relevant...it was even more of a change than BAC has done.

It is nothing new...neither is the complaining about it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LabMaster said:

I believe the intent of the Boston costume is to be visually aligned and congruent with the musical design.  A show portraying Salem/Puritan witch trials/Hunts would not be as visually compatible with Cadet military style unis.  Plus the body movement corps are now expected to include would be limited with cadet style unis.  I love Boston cadet unis but what they are attempting, full program coordination, makes sense.  Relying on the guard alone o be the only visual element of a program that speaks to the theme of a program is not maxing out a cohesive design.  IMO

I'm still thinking they might look good on the field. Refreshing, even. But that purple top and rust/burgundy leggings are supposed to symbolize the puritan look of Salem? That seems like a stretch. As someone else pointed out, the guard costumes connect well with A Midsummer Night's Dream. I don't see it aligning with a witch trials theme.

300px-Oberon,_Titania_and_Puck_with_Fairies_Dancing._William_Blake._c.1786.jpg

1 minute ago, Cappybara said:

And...?

Bridgemen lost fans and supporters who didn't go for Hoffman's new image.  They picked up a lot of new ones though, so the change was validated.  Time will tell if BAC experiences the same thing or not.

Just now, 84BDsop said:

You said " Boston's uniforms, for me atleast, are not very palatable because they pretty much throw away every trace of what corps I'm looking at. "

76 Bridgemens change from cadets to the banana coats is VERY relevant...it was even more of a change than BAC has done.

It is nothing new...neither is the complaining about it.

Okay and again I fail to see how that's relevant. Just because a corps has done it in the past does not mean it changes my opinion or my personal preferences.

30 minutes ago, 84BDsop said:

I was at the stadium when the Bridgemen first appeared in those uniforms.  I was on the sidelines as a marching member of the Crossmen.  We had already performed and were hanging out for retreat.  I don't know what the crowd reaction was or the reaction of the alumni, but our reaction was awe.  All the corps on the sidelines was craning their necks to see.  The uniforms were, frankly, so cool, they were irresistible.  They did maintain the color of the Bridgemen.

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

I don't think you understand my point. I'm not opposed to changes in uniform. And I know changes in uniform have been a thing for a while. While I don't enjoy the aesthetics of Crossmen's uniform, I'm still okay with them because they still look like the Crossmen. Whether it be the colors they use or certain characteristics (the Aussie for the crossmen), there's still traces of what corps you're looking at. 

I thought BD's 2016 uniforms were great. They had, like you mentioned, the Shakespearean elements but they still looked like the Blue Devils. There was no confusion there.

Boston's uniforms, for me atleast, are not very palatable because they pretty much throw away every trace of what corps I'm looking at.

To reply to your last mini paragraph, I feel in time, you'll be able to recognize them again. Same with all corps doing major uniform changes. We don't recognize them now because it's so different, but like they said in the video the design is a formula for years to come. Like crowns change in 2013, now we know who they are when we see them. It's an awkward stage of progression, but I feel the corps do want to maintain some sort of identity. Now is where they make the change, the look we'll all get used to in the years to come. It's just the NEW Boston Crusaders look, or Cadets or Scouts. Hope I make sense?  

• Like 1