2017 Uniform Thread

I have a penchant for forming weird/unique/quirky initial impressions of things I see/hear...first impression of Phantom's approved concept:  Darth Maul meets Boba Fett.

28 minutes ago, kdaddy said:

The white shoulder pieces have yet to be added to the Regiment uniform.

... No need for the shoulder pieces - the current version looks more modern! 

When viewed head-on, I see your point. But when viewed from the judges' box several floors up in LOS and Alamodome, will the white side patch be seen or appear larger than a stripe? The white over lay shoulder pieces are probably designed for that view, not WGI intimacy.

4 hours ago, gak27 said:

I have a penchant for forming weird/unique/quirky initial impressions of things I see/hear...first impression of Phantom's approved concept:  Darth Maul meets Boba Fett.

Does that mean that any member entering the pit will learn a new definition of pain and suffering as they are slowly digested over a thousand years?

• Like 1

Just now, xandandl said:

When viewed head-on, I see your point. But when viewed from the judges' box several floors up in LOS and Alamodome, will the white side patch be seen or appear larger than a stripe? The white over lay shoulder pieces are probably designed for that view, not WGI intimacy.

This comment just jogged my recollections of the past a bit.  There was a time in the early 80's and prior, where corps uniforms had a good bit of detail in them (piping, buttons, metal ornaments, shiners, trim colors... spats... etc.).  Then the 90's came along and program directors, boards and visual staff seemed to realize (along with designers) that none of those details really "read" from the stands where the fans and judges were at.  So they ditched it all for large swaths of color and no trim, buttons or piping to speak of anywhere.

Now... it seems like the more tiny patches of variance you can put in there... the better.  Although, I still contend that those little things don't and won't read well when viewing the corps as opposed to viewing the individual member.  These details seem like a waste of time and money (to me).  I'm thinking that for all that it got wrong... the 90's seemed to get this one thing right... in drumcorps garb, at least.

Edited by cfirwin3

I like the uniform. I think they may have some sort of shoulder pads that will be worn over the top of the jacket to complete the upper body.

1 hour ago, cfirwin3 said:

This comment just jogged my recollections of the past a bit.  There was a time in the early 80's and prior, where corps uniforms had a good bit of detail in them (piping, buttons, metal ornaments, shiners, trim colors... spats... etc.).  Then the 90's came along and program directors, boards and visual staff seemed to realize (along with designers) that none of those details really "read" from the stands where the fans and judges were at.  So they ditched it all for large swaths of color and no trim, buttons or piping to speak of anywhere.

Now... it seems like the more tiny patches of variance you can put in there... the better.  Although, I still contend that those little things don't and won't read well when viewing the corps as opposed to viewing the individual member.  These details seem like a waste of time and money (to me).  I'm thinking that for all that it got wrong... the 90's seemed to get this one thing right... in drumcorps garb, at least.

Consider, however, that the uniforms are not exclusively for the judges to read from the stands....they're also for the members.

BD's sorta Shakespearean tops last year might've helped them get into the program more...which helps overall performance.

Don't discount the effect of the uni on the performer.

• Like 2

This is a good place for this...the colts :)

18699811_934481031021_227286415399492557

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Liahona said:

This is a good place for this...the colts :)

18699811_934481031021_227286415399492557

Hey now......I posted this pick three weeks and twenty pages ago!!!

:)

• Like 1

Just now, wonker said:

Hey now......I posted this pick three weeks and twenty pages ago!!!

:)

Honestly..I didn't think there were many photos in this thread...lots of talking....few pictures as to where you'd think there would be a ton of them :)

that's because the shako of silence also has blinders on!!

• Like 2