2017 Uniform Thread

Now that I think of it, it seems that the Crown 2010-2012 uniform style has been very "in" lately. Besides this year's BAC, just look at corps like the Cavaliers, Blue Stars, Seattle Cascades, even BD. I understand why this style is popular, but it's everywhere!

Edited by Cadevilina Crown
  • Like 1

Random thoughts:

When watching Bluecoats '17 and some years of Madison, I wonder why all corps aren't in white. It pops. Even the bright yellow of the Bluecoats '17 guard paled in comparison.

(I always shake my head when I see people say, "If your opinion is different than mine, leave". ha)

Good grief, designers; look at the long view! OC in uniforms that look like tree trunks up close, but fishing waders from the stands? Just...no. Colts in bikini tops? Phantom as Spirit? Troopers with crotch frames?

I'm not sure why Cesario is channeling The Village People in his uniform designs. Disco is dead! And so are gradient colors. Also, I'm not sure why DCI accepts the appearance of impropriety by having the guy in charge of the activity's design direction also making money from the activity's design direction.

I don't care what gender is on the field. I DO miss the projection of power rather than the look of children. I think three things contribute to a childish appearance:
1. Shakos and hats that are too large, resting down around the ears and looking like a child play acting with an adult's hat.

2.Uniforms that have little reference to real-world clothing. IMO that's why Academy's uniforms have been such a hit: morning coats that look like a morning coat worn by adults rather than a Halloween costume version worn by children.

3. In our culture, "masculine" is seen as "powerful", and women in men's clothing is much more acceptable than men in women's clothing. Right or wrong, there's no way around those facts. 

• Like 6

Well get ready then for Academy 2017.  They literally are dressed as the "Mad Hatter"....talk about costumes!

Poster "candl" makes several thought-provoking points. I'll provides these thoughts . . . .

Constant changing of performance attire is a necessary element of thematic shows that have grown so common. This development began slowly, primarily using only soloists and the Guard. Contemporary audiences expect fresh ideas. 

Our activity is more theatrical than it's ever been. Gone are the days when corps were expected to simply march straight and expertly play music. Now, it's unlimited creativity, maximizing all options at one's disposal to present something unique and spectacular. Maybe even, outrageous. Nothing having any chance to become stale.

Today, it's " Can't wait to see what our performers come up with next ! "

Hope you've noticed, it isn't just drum corps going down this path. It's everywhere.

• Like 1

Like everything in drum corps (and life?), it comes down to quality of execution. Bluecoats' costumes looked good and worked wonderfully with their show, so now we're going to have every corps in show-themed costumes (many of which are ill-conceived and look like ####)

5 minutes ago, FTNK said:

Like everything in drum corps (and life?), it comes down to quality of execution. Bluecoats' costumes looked good and worked wonderfully with their show, so now we're going to have every corps in show-themed costumes (many of which are ill-conceived and look like ####)

Quality of execution....BS!

17903472_1928200010728678_67041595963034

• Like 4

Ironically... a costume is PRECISELY something that looks like a real-world garment with a real-world function, but it isn't that thing with that function.  A really good costume looks more authentic than a really cheap one, but they are both costumes.  A uniform (NOT 'on the other hand', but as a separate issue) isn't a THING before it is an OCCURRENCE... such as the occurrence where a bunch of people have on the same costume (see the previous comment) or some other garment that is suited only to their function (like Bluecoats 2017) thereby BEING uniform (in the same form) WITH a uniform.

This dichotomy between "costume" and "uniform" is really, really, really... really absurd.  Nudging close to stupid... at times.

Even more ironically... given what a costume is (and the nature by which it 'plays pretend' or impersonates), the traditional uniform of drum and bugle corps (the dress, military-like garment that so accurately represents period and geographically contextual military or vocational garb) is ACTUALLY the most accurate demonstration of what a costume is.  In actuality, The Cadets or the Boston Crusaders are NOT West Point Cadets, The Bluecoats are NOT Victorian era constables, the Cavaliers and Madison Scouts are not actually (in practice, if not in official name only) The Boy Scouts of America, and the Bridgemen weren't actually... well... whatever it was that they were looking like... etc.  The background of these organizations is irrelevant.  The true identity of the group is a drumcorps and a drumcorps only.

This is all so much nothing more than a preferential quibble in which different parties assume the ability to make up definitions that suit their position.

Drumcorps uniforms have never not been costumes... and they have been least like costumes when they have been created to specifically address the function of the activity.

• Like 4