Full Recaps Make a Return for the 2017 Sesaon

Well Michael Boo you got to sleep in late for 2016...Get ready and prepare for sleep deprivation this summer in 2017  :smile:

• Like 4

1 hour ago, xandandl said:

Performance order, while not major change, is interesting. Slotting conspiracy folk still will not be convinced.http://www.dci.org/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=965782&SPID=166025&DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=211439295&DB_OEM_ID=33500

Can someone please explain this to me better?...YES I read the article but I seem to be having trouble with reading comprehension...lol

7 minutes ago, Liahona said:

Can someone please explain this to me better?...YES I read the article but I seem to be having trouble with reading comprehension...lol

seems at least basically the same as this year... use the previous scores and then draw in random groups of 3.  I think the only clarifications were which shows would be used, and how the other corps would be integrated into the G7 Winston Salem draw.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, soccerguy315 said:

seems at least basically the same as this year... use the previous scores and then draw in random groups of 3.  I think the only clarifications were which shows would be used, and how the other corps would be integrated into the G7 Winston Salem draw.

So concerning July 29 or 30...The Atlanta show is out?...I'm also confused as to why everyone is just not at Powder Springs , GA on the 29th?...and why did they add 7 more corps to the TOC show for Winston-Salem, NC on the 30th?

26 minutes ago, Liahona said:

So concerning July 29 or 30...The Atlanta show is out?...I'm also confused as to why everyone is just not at Powder Springs , GA on the 29th?...and why did they add 7 more corps to the TOC show for Winston-Salem, NC on the 30th?

The availability of extra practice/warm-up fields, parking for 23 corps with buses-18 wheelers-trailers, etc. would be overwhelming at the high school campus but not at the university campus the next day. Besides Crown (Sunday's host) has a great history of running well organized, sold out shows even with the most demanding directors of those other corps.  Powder Springs does have some limited history but is really the best among limited alternatives to the Domes not being available in Atlanta.

With the majority of corps not all in one spot until San Antonio, no national linear conclusions are real (just approximated) until then. Minneapolis occurs too early and lacks the Eastern corps who are not all together but headed off in separate directions.  This all seems a good, creative solution until a new normal is achieved.t

Slotters will balk that lower scoring corps will still suffer from early appearance boxing subjected to judging fatigue with little movement from tier to tier.  The counter claim is that the judges (and the audience) will still recognize a wowing phenomenal performance and reward such competitive effort.  In the T.OC years previously, BD often performed early in those TOC shows and still scored wonderfully (though not always perfectly.)  The theory is that other corps will still have that same opportunity to give an awesome performance..

Edited by xandandl
  • Like 2

37 minutes ago, Liahona said:

16 minutes ago, xandandl said:

The availability of extra practice/warm-up fields, parking for 23 corps with buses-18 wheelers-trailers, etc. would be overwhelming at the high school campus but not at the university campus the next day. Besides Crown (Sunday's host) has a great history of running well organized, sold out shows even with the most demanding directors of those other corps.  Powder Springs does have some limited history but is really the best among limited alternatives to the Domes not being available in Atlanta.

With the majority of corps not all in one spot until San Antonio, no national linear conclusions are real (just approximated) until then. Minneapolis occurs too early and lacks the Eastern corps who are not all together but headed off in separate directions.  This all seems a good, creative solution until a new normal is achieved.t

Slotters will balk that lower scoring corps will still suffer from early appearance boxing subjected to judging fatigue with little movement from tier to tier.  The counter claim is that the judges (and the audience) will still recognize a wowing phenomenal performance and reward such competitive effort.  In the T.OC years previously, BD often performed early in those TOC shows and still scored wonderfully (though not always perfectly.)  The theory is that other corps will still have that same opportunity to give an awesome performance..

Atlanta was originally scheduled as a full 22+ corps regional. The decision was made to move it to Powder Springs because of possible stadium availability issues (like Indy in 2008). Because of the issues listed by xandandl in his first sentence, some corps needed to be eliminated from the lineup.

I don't know how the corps were chosen. But if you notice, the ones added to the Winston-Salem TOC show were the ones eliminated from the full Atlanta Regional now Powder Springs show. That leads me to believe that they were added to the W/S show so that they wouldn't lose a performance fee/pay day.

Hope this helps clarify things for you.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Liahona said:

subtract the TOC corps from ATL

split the remaining ATL lineup so that you get the first group  in GA and the second group in NC.

add TOC corps to both line-ups.

voila.

big bonus for Crown -- they get the 2nd half of the regional as a "home" show.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lance said:

recap analysis threads are my favorite.

Especially when read over a stack of waffles.   Sorry -- it's been one of those days.