2 minutes ago, tesmusic said:

I think his intention is to be discussing current arrangers. He stated "in DCI" and not in DCI history, so I'm taking it as present arrangers. 

I was thinking he meant " Today's DCI " as well . Michael Klesch does write great arrangements, imo too.

• Like 1

It's hard for me to rank them but for me Tier 1 includes Glyde/Meehan, Klesch, and JD Shaw in no particular order. 

Thrower is my personal favorite because IMO he lets the original compositions speak like they were meant to more than most, just adapted to work in this setting.   He doesn't add a bunch of extra stuff or make them sound marching band-y.   His work with ballads especially capture perfectly what they were meant to...at least to me.    

I think he's earned his place among the elite......though he has a completely different voice than ones like Klesch, Shaw, etc.  

• Like 3

Thrower should be in the conversation as well. He knows how to get a modern symphonic jazzy sound out of Bluecoats.  He can take a composition and make it sound like it was meant for this idiom, yet it still respects the original.  It would be great to get some original stuff out of this cat...

Klesch is probably my favorite from the current active batch, as he just knows how to perfectly voice parts to fit a brass choir.  Every note is clear and with purpose.  This is apparently a hard thing to do because not every arranger achieves the level of clarity that Klesch achieves.

I just love how Shaw gives special love to the middle voices in his arrangements.

I think my favorites from those currently active in DCI are Klesch, Thrower, and Shaw.

I don't want to forget to mention how much I enjoy Bocook, Boerma, and Sullivan too.  Really, Bocook and Boerma have a strong DCI portfolio of enjoyable and masterfully crafted shows too. I'd have to put them in tier one as well.

Much love to Downey too, and respect to Meehan too for their expertise in this craft.

We are truly lucky to have these, and other, arrangers. We are luck to have greats from the past as well.

Edited by jjeffeory
correction
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, DrumManTx said:

Thrower is my personal favorite because IMO he lets the original compositions speak like they were meant to more than most, just adapted to work in this setting.   He doesn't add a bunch of extra stuff or make them sound marching band-y.   His work with ballads especially capture perfectly what they were meant to...at least to me.    

I think he's earned his place among the elite......though he has a completely different voice than ones like Klesch, Shaw, etc.  

The only reason I don't put thrower in my top tier favorites is because I'm not the biggest fan of his closer arrangements (2013 is an exception). They just always fall flat to me and leave a bad taste in what is otherwise an awesome book. He's definitely one of my favorites if not my favorite for ballads though.

3 hours ago, BRASSO said:

Yes. I'm not sure if the OP is talking about just todays brass arrangement writers, or those who have come before can be included in his question. If he is broadening his question to beyond just " today's DCI ", then for certain there are lots of brass arrangers that one could put right up there with the wonderful brass arrangements of Michael Klesch..  You listed a few here, there are no doubt a few others that other posters could include on this list as well.

AS usual, Brasso is SPOT. ON. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, 2000Cadet said:

I have been listening to a lot of Crown years over the past few days and it has me thinking; Is Michael Klesch the absolute BEST brass writer in DCI? 

yes by a lot for me

what he does is astonishing

57 minutes ago, 2000Cadet said:

AS usual, Brasso is SPOT. ON. 

' Have to give you a" like " for that.. ( haha..)