Less brass? (to fill another caption)

4 hours ago, Stu said:

. . . . . . the Visual drive the ‘entire’ GE design; even if that means sacrificing comprehensible musical phrasing and melodic structure in the name of supporting, and being subordinate to, the almighty Visual. . . . . .

. . . . . . .I am now finding way more musical edification out in the lot where some of the warm-ups and non-show music have way more comprehensible composition structure than the actual contest music.

The above portions of Stu"s earlier comment accurately express a growing concern of mine. A paid audience wants to be a PARTICIPANT in the proceedings, too. They want something to judge against what they already believe to be accurate and expertly done. MELODY is huge! 

This year, I see more corps trying to push far too many notes through the brass arrangements.  Either way, 2017 sounds like a backward step from the known. From order into chaos at worst. Too much so, and the paid audience becomes mostly just family and friends. Not ideal.

Edited by Fred Windish

At the Hamilton, OH show there was a lot of amp support for the horn lines, I was sitting right in front of the speakers.  I was amazed at the amount of sound the amps were pushing- not just low frequency "goo", whole horn line.  I loved the shows, but was left wondering what it would have sounded like unplugged.  Like looking at an amazing photo but knowing it is Photoshopped... Funny thing is the horns- Crown and Coats in particular- are amazingly good.  They don't need "support" IMO.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, garfield said:

Well, considering their CG is all female, it makes perfect sense that they'd have more bras, too, not less.

:whistle:

Great minds and all that stuff...esp when it comes to thinking about...

(see 5 posts up)   :innocent:

3 hours ago, Guitar1974 said:

At the Hamilton, OH show there was a lot of amp support for the horn lines, I was sitting right in front of the speakers.  I was amazed at the amount of sound the amps were pushing- not just low frequency "goo", whole horn line.  I loved the shows, but was left wondering what it would have sounded like unplugged.  Like looking at an amazing photo but knowing it is Photoshopped... Funny thing is the horns- Crown and Coats in particular- are amazingly good.  They don't need "support" IMO.

That's my biggest problem with the activity right now. These corps have incredible talent, just use the electronics for sound effects/narration, not for doubling the brass.

• Like 1

Ok -- now that I have read "all" the replies here, I then ponder anew the 'back field mics' used in Regiment's show.  I kind of get the concept, but again, feel if they NEED mics to amplify the brass - then why not just have MORE brass?   Consider this.... many corps are using mics to augment and EVEN amplify brass (or whichever section aside from guard) in many facets of a given show.  As a brass performer of over 20 yrs, is that because  A) the section(s) aren't producing the volume needed - or- B) said volume can be controlled via soundboard at any given time ?  

Brass performance (for those that study/teach it) is an intricate form of breathing, articulation as well as ambuschur - tone, pitch and clarity is an acquired skill practiced and honed -- does anyone else feel that any mic's used unintentionally rob the performer of technical skills  that could be polished over a season, are masked and or/covered up by a simple turn of a volume dial?  Also, if using other media/audio along WITH mics while the brass is playing -- doesn't that/couldn't that really affect a judges perspective of TRUE brass performance as a group?  (IE:  mello's, sopranos, baritone etc)  

I KNOW judges will be right in front of a line or section throughout a performance and hear TRUE notes, but is it becoming more of a means of enhancement rather than a melding of 'filler sounds' here & there.....

The beginning of Regiment's show is too slow to progress for these very thoughts....  I sat and watched, intrigued, but kept feeling the need to yell "Where are the horns?".  While the show has great demand, and needs to be cleaned with anything including Windex, it has REAL potential!   "I" personally feel using SO MUCH amplification, sound effects, mic's etc - IMHO (**stressed) that the brass gets overshadowed at times.  I guess it's just me reflecting on getting my face peeled off by Regiment brass in years past to yearning to hear MORE of them this year.   Will Pitts?   KUDOS!    I told Dan Richardson via PM a few yrs ago under Don Hill's arranging that Will would be an AWESOME fit to this corps -- and here we are!  Great book.... let's just hear MORE of it instead of amps and mics.... but TRUE brass, not enhanced via soundboard!

• Like 1

And -- this can be said of ALL corps... amplification, sound bytes, voice overs and pre-recorded effects are seemingly garnering effect instead of some sections... just my over zealous opinion 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, PRPhan4ever said:

And -- this can be said of ALL corps... amplification, sound bytes, voice overs and pre-recorded effects are seemingly garnering effect instead of some sections... just my over zealous opinion 

Apparently if you Win GE, that's all it takes.

1 minute ago, Ghost said:

As corps push the amplification envelope each year, has judging the brass performers become challenging for the judges?

As long as the brass judge remains on the field...I say no...the day we move them to the box...game over...unfortunately GE music has succumbed to the amplification envelop as you have suggested...

• Like 1