Floating on the river in EVANSVILLE!

1 hour ago, henry7184 said:

Naturally. It is just fun guessing. My guess is BD, Bluecoats and SCV will be the medalists, then we will see 4-6 being Crown, Cadets and Cavies. Boston and BK for 7-8, and Blue Stars, Madison, Crossmen and Regiment in a fight for 9-12. But, Mandarins could run someone's Friday night in August. 

1 hour ago, jjeffeory said:

That's my guess so far too.

I'd be happy for a corps or two to break out of our expectations and do even better.

Holy Batman!  Do we have our first post about slotting even though it's still June and your post was not done intentionally to discuss slotting?

Edited by Ghost

1 hour ago, cadet_mellos said:

The best thing for the sport would be to recognize 2-5 or 2-6 are close enough to one another where super-skilled judging can identify who has the strongest night.  And it varies many nights so there is a reordering instead of slotted-in-advance of the performance and sameness of ranking disconnected from what happens on the field.  I am not convinced the judging is unbiased and objective enough.

Judging isn't just about the strongest performances anymore (though it can make a difference, see Crown 2015 at finals).

Back in the tick system, night to night performances really mattered, but with GE being such a big factor now, show design is more important 

9 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

Judging isn't just about the strongest performances anymore (though it can make a difference, see Crown 2015 at finals).

Back in the tick system, night to night performances really mattered, but with GE being such a big factor now, show design is more important 

yes Sherlock :)

Just now, Liahona said:

yes Sherlock :)

The poster I was responding to was having doubts on the objectivity/personal biases of the judges and I was explaining why the "slotting" is what it is. 

Please read before being an ### (sorry, Cappy is grumpy tonight)

1 minute ago, Cappybara said:

The poster I was responding to was having doubts on the objectivity/personal biases of the judges and I was explaining why the "slotting" is what it is. 

Please read before being an ### (sorry, Cappy is grumpy tonight)

typical

23 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

Isn't there a performance aspect to GE?

2 minutes ago, skevinp said:

Isn't there a performance aspect to GE?

I'm assuming this is a rhetorical question because you're a very knowledgeable person, but the answer is obviously yes. 

But in the current system, I think we can agree that performance during an individual night is not as important as it was in the tick era. 

I may be wrong on this, but I don't think GE was 40% of the score in the tick era either. Kinda hard to see much movement when so much of the sheets depend on show design

Edited by Cappybara

35 minutes ago, Ghost said:

Holy Batman!  Do we have our first post about slotting even though it's still June and your post was not done intentionally to discuss slotting?

Maybe?

10 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

I'm assuming this is a rhetorical question because you're a very knowledgeable person, but the answer is obviously yes. 

But in the current system, I think we can agree that performance during an individual night is not as important as it was in the tick era. 

I may be wrong on this, but I don't think GE was 40% of the score in the tick era either. Kinda hard to see much movement when so much of the sheets depend on show design

I think there is some truth to this, but some people talk about GE like it is 100% design.  If that were true, Blue Devils C could play the same show as Blue Devils A and pop the same GE score.

There may be some factors other than greater emphasis on GE that contribute to less placement movement up and down today, like the fact there aren't nearly as many corps.  And better communications make cutting edge practices and logistics equally available to all.

• Like 1

Finally back in Btown after the Evansville show. Really nice performances. Madison much better than I had been expecting, and while some are going to dislike it no matter what, I think they have a cool show that is challenging and complex and with much more potential than Judas in 2016.

The issue for Madison isn't so much how well they are doing - but how well everyone else is doing, too. Boston was good. Plus Stars are good, if a dull for my tastes. The Cavaliers are in top tier form.

And after the two hour drive, this: It's way early yet. Speculating is fun, but give the members and directors and leadership a break for a few more weeks before getting too passionate about an opinion on the shows or placements. 

Okay, getting ready for Muncie...

• Like 4