Drum Corps at the Rose Bowl - July 1, 2017

If the Mandarins were to make the top 12. It will be the first time that RCC show will host 5 top 12 corps at one show. I checked Riverside DCI scores going back to 1980, has never happened. There have been seasons where if BD or SCV are not at the Riverside show, only 2 top 12 corps are there. Interesting.

• Like 1

Just now, geluf said:

My point is that this is not a situation they've been in before if the entire show is literally going to change.

If it isn't, and this is going to be closer to a standard "tweak and change some things" thing, then sure, all of this is moot.

The entire show isn't going to change, I don't think. They've made the cake. They're figuring out the frosting. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, shofmon88 said:

BK brass and percussion scores are ridiculous. 0.3 points from BD in brass? I never thought I'd ever see that. But I completely agree. They have a massive sound this year. 

Their visual, however, is killing them. They've scored poorly in visual for years now. If their visual program was up to the level of their music, they would be in danger of pushing into the top 3. 

They just don't get how to stage visually. At all. It's either a huge complex drill movement, or a dozen or more of the same thing spaced out equally across the field. But to be fair, how do you stage concepts that defy any coherent explanation?

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, MikeRapp said:

They just don't get how to stage visually. At all. It's either a huge complex drill movement, or a dozen or more of the same thing spaced out equally across the field. But to be fair, how do you stage concepts that defy any coherent explanation?

Well said, but to your last point, I can think of dozens of shows off the top of my head that don't really have any explanation but have great visual packages.  Thinking specifically of the times when corps would have generic titles having to do with the music selections.  All about staging, as you said, and right now there's no visual interest or any key points to draw your attention throughout the show.  And if the guard is going to be outside the action, so to speak, they need to do a better job of staging them to frame the corps proper, which just goes back to my comment about their costuming being too similar to the corps' to allow them that opportunity.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Musicman1084 said:

Well said, but to your last point, I can think of dozens of shows off the top of my head that don't really have any explanation but have great visual packages.  Thinking specifically of the times when corps would have generic titles having to do with the music selections.  All about staging, as you said, and right now there's no visual interest or any key points to draw your attention throughout the show.  And if the guard is going to be outside the action, so to speak, they need to do a better job of staging them to frame the corps proper, which just goes back to my comment about their costuming being too similar to the corps' to allow them that opportunity.

I cannot stand their uniforms and haven't liked them for years. They are like pajamas to me. They are as nondescript as their visual in general. Musically the Knights are one of the best corps in the world. Why can't they figure out the visual and concept part?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Chief Guns said:

Keep doing what you are doing Devils. Add in the visual when you are ready. 

I secretly hope they don't beef up the ballad too much more, visually. I know people want more from it, but I absolutely love that they sort of stroll through the whole piece—it fits the music. Makes me feel like I'm lounging on the grass at a summer jazz festival. I love it. 

The transition with the stairs in the beginning is a nuisance, however. 

• Like 2

Just now, MikeRapp said:

I cannot stand their uniforms and haven't liked them for years. They are like pajamas to me. They are as nondescript as their visual in general. Musically the Knights are one of the best corps in the world. Why can't they figure out the visual and concept part?

Give this corps 2014s show and they'd give that show the placement it deserved.  

• Like 2