The REAL San Antonio Rough Riders Thread

Just now, henry7184 said:

Really, did you miss their opening minute?

The opening minute, for those of you who might have discovered drum corps less than five years ago, is a tribute to the Blue Devils' winning shows from the 1970s and the 1980s.  For example, that snare cadence is from "Legend of the One Eyed Sailor."  The trumpet calls are from "Dindi," and "La Suerte de Los Tontos," Blue Devils staples in the day.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, shofmon88 said:

What GE? I'm not getting anything that says metaphorposis except for the uniform changes. Can you explain what GE Blue Devils is presenting? I can't see it, so lay it out. 

I think BD has perhaps the BEST GE. I think the judges have been getting it right. They are metamorphing from old school BD to modern BD, which I think is apparent in the show. More to the point, the show's effects are built around the music, not around any theme.  To me it's simply fantastic design!

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, mjoakes said:

Has anyone mentioned whether BD had electronic issues? The bass was relentless all show. Like one of those cars that drive by my house with bass thumping all over the neighborhood. Is that the sound they want?

I might have mentioned it in the wrong thread.  I agree, the synth bass is way overpowering.

5 minutes ago, dcsnare93 said:

For once, I agree with you :)

I watch this show for the ballad, and it just felt like it was teetering out of control, just this close to being a complete disaster. They seemed to get it back aligned near the end, but the second half of the show felt like they were just elieved to get it over with.

3 minutes ago, CoastGuard said:

Because they demonstrate more variety in skills through time...not just drill, not just body, not just speed, not just choreography. People get so caught up in more drill, more drill.  Variety is the reason they are winning.  And the color guard has skills no other guard has.  Start value, it's just like gymnastics.  

Body movements in clusters are not difficult. 6 year olds learn this stuff in dance class in a matter of hours.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, CoastGuard said:

Because they demonstrate more variety in skills through time...not just drill, not just body, not just speed, not just choreography. People get so caught up in more drill, more drill.  Variety is the reason they are winning.  And the color guard has skills no other guard has.  Start value, it's just like gymnastics.  

I'm not in the least a BD fan, and I agree wholeheartedly with everything you said. It's like people think the judges just hand these undeserved accolades and awards to BD. That's false - they are 100% deserved. I hope SCV wins finals, but if BD wins you'll get no argument from me. I'll be disappointed, but #### they are just so good at every single thing they do. No weaknesses.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, mcjordansc said:

Because Blue Devils have a superior product on the field. They may not win every show they are in this year, but they will win in August.

May not win every show they are in.....but they have so far