The REAL San Antonio Rough Riders Thread

A reminder that there are disadvantages to seeing a show live.

posted from the DrumScorps app

• Like 7

31 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Think of complaints in other activities about the Russian judge or, um, Russian interference.

Outliers everywhere...tend to place the spotlight on themselves and their professions; a good thing.

1 hour ago, Cappybara said:

It's really frustrating to me to see people who want mobility and then cry foul as soon as they get it. 

I applaud the guard judge for calling it as he saw it instead of slotting. 

Same. Guard scores SHOULD be fickle. Every score should at this point in the season, but especially guard. 

Also I love—genuinely—that everyone's a guard expert now. :xmas:

• Like 3

Meanwhile, sad to learn of this not that far away from the A/C domed stadium in San Antonio as this show took place yesterday.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/local/article/8-found-dead-in-trailer-11308288.php

11 minutes ago, CorpwithanS said:

Besides the physical conversations after  the show for a pre-set time so each corps has equal access to each judge as in days gone bye, today critique also means the permission corps are given by a certain date to contact a judge by text, phone call, or email about the judge's scoring, comments, and understanding of the performance. This is why there is no big deal if weather conditions abrupt the after show critiques. They continue in the car ride, bus ride or concessions. A big difference is that once corps are allowed to use technology, their viewpoints are no longer just articulated questions but the submission of music scores, drill charts, vimeos, and anything that can be scanned. And limiting the time of the technological conversations just doesn't happen. It is why some judges are so skittish and/or tired.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BRASSO said:

I think it should be 4-5 years however. But the Corps have the policies they have all ok'ed, so they have to live with it.

One year off for a corps staff member is not enough.  We all have biases which can be hard to shake.  The idea that a staff member who was fired by a particular corps might be judging them a couple of years later might  make some people a little uncertain as to whether he judged them fairly.

Edited by Jim Schehr

2 minutes ago, bluesman said:

One year off for a corps staff member is not enough.  We all have biases which can be hard to shake.  The idea that a staff member who was fired by a particular corps might be judging them a couple of years later might  make some people a little uncertain as to whether he judged them fairly.

So there is no misunderstanding, ( and in fairness to Michael Lentz  Guard Judge ) he was not " fired " from his role as the Visuals Programmer at Boston for creating the Visuals for their " Animal Farm ", show in  2014. He and Boston mutually decided to go in a different direction after his one year stint at Boston at the end of 2014 from my understanding. That said, you and I agree, there should be a longer time out for a any judge that decides to leave judging ranks, go to a staff, then decide to come back to judging Corps in competition again. A 12 month hiatus before being allowed to return to the judging ranks seems much too brief a requirement.

• Like 1