Has the time come?

DCA corps sound plenty loud with 128.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, George Dixon said:

Correct the gap may be larger as dollars but as a % of operational budget may be smaller 

back to the economy of scale 

Other than collecting more dues from more mm, what increase in real production would there be which in turn would increase revenue to offset inreased cost?

Edited by Stu

And don't forget the actual show sites that would have to cut the number of corps in their show because their lots for corps parking are currently maxed out? It not a lot, but enough.

Oh, and the food itself. You'd have to get food deliveries more often which in and of themselves are a major scheduling nightmare as is today.

Sorry to be a Debbie Downer, but my husband and I have spent years as volunteers working in tour planning to not look to see the multitude of logistical issues increasing the size of a corp would inevitably bring. 

• Like 1

Just for clarity, there aren't still people out there that think Phantom's hornline is something like 60 members, right?  I've seen people saying anywhere from 56-64.  In reality, I believe it's either 70 or 72.  While there are plenty of corps out there going with 80 member hornlines, it's still very common to see 68-76 member hornlines, even in "full" corps.  Phantom isn't doing anything out of the ordinary or groundbreaking by going with a larger guard.  

• Like 2

When it went from 128 to 150 I didn't notice much of an increase in volume.  What I did notice was that the drill designs seemed cluttered and that the demand level went down.  There have been some great drills written since that change, but they no longer seem as creative or game changing as the drills written for 128 members.

Edited by bluesman
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, fireshane1 said:

With Regiment sacrificing hornline for guard this year, it got me thinking...

if staging and Blast style shows are the move DCI is making, could they up the total amount of members for each corps? What would the cut-off be? 170? 200? How many is too many? Would it hinder drill at some point? 

Watching Regiment take the field with 30 contras would be bad-### though...just a thought. 

$.02. 

No. 

1 hour ago, FTNK said:

Seems like Economies of scale work in favor of corps 

FTNK: I will ask you the same question I asked George concerning economics of scale. Other than collecting more dues from more mm, what increase in real production would in turn bring in more revenue to offset increased cost?

Edited by Stu

3 hours ago, FTNK said:

Hopkins said on FB earlier this year that he wants 250, so there's that

150 x $3,000 = $450,000

250 x $3,000 = $750,000

Why not increase to 334 in order to get a cool $1,000,000?

Edited by Stu

1 hour ago, Stu said:

FTNK: I will ask you the same question I asked George concerning economics of scale. Other than collecting more dues from more mm, what increase in real production would in turn bring in more revenue to offset increased cost?

You're probably right. A huge amount of corps' income is donations, and those wouldn't increase (at least not until a corps marched 200+ for a while). More members = more volunteers and I highly doubt most corps have an enormous surplus of dedicated volunteers. Anyhow I am sure someone could do all the math. Another thing to consider is that you would have either one food truck working overtime (is that even possible?) or two food trucks working at partial capacity (inefficient) unless there are 250+ members

Also housing sites are hard enough. I hope corps don't get bigger.

With more and more on the field you will either have a massive blob doing drill moves, or a six+ ring circus that only those with a 3-second attention span can enjoy. Other than collecting more dues from mm, what is the point of going to 200, 250, 300, ...?

• Like 4