What Chester Makes Makes Chester - TOC Show August 3rd

2 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

Or just expect more humanity out of, well, humans. 

I expect less each year - so far that's been working out

2 minutes ago, MikeRapp said:

Precisely. They have the weakest horn line of the top eight, and yet they are challenging for fourth? Sure.

exactly.

• Like 1

Just now, saxfreq1128 said:

Words can of course have multiple meanings...

And I don't think the kids using this word to describe my cousin with downs syndrome were confusing him with a car, lol

Sure they can, any thing can be made offensive. That's the problem. But by definition, it means what it means and is only as powerful as you make it.

1 minute ago, jjeffeory said:

people still use those words even today. They're jerks. I even hear pre teens use those words. it's not over yet.

posted from the DrumScorps app

I never got the gripe with the word ret*rded. It literally means slow. Very common in the automotive and tech industry. 

it doesn't work for people though. I'm aware of it because I worked with people with developmental disabilities through college, and saw first hand how it has a negative effect on those people when they called that.

regarding the drumcorps related post here, I'm inclined to agree with much of what you're saying. it is however not going to change, but I still get frustrated by what is rewarded from year to year, then not rewarded other years, going back to some criteria that serves to discourage specific styles and shows.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MikeRapp said:

We

l i would definitely put Knights and Cadets ahead of them, and quite obviously (though perhaps not) Crown, Coats, BD and SCV.

I really admire Knights' use of dynamics and control, but I think when considering the technical books, Cavies have them beat. I can definitely concede that the Cadets may have a better hornline though. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, George Dixon said:

I should probably follow your approach, sadly :(

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Cappybara said:

It's working really well for them. And it fits the show's mood quite well! 

they have a good guard - that's driving everything in DCI. You can put the corps in order of the guards most seasons. So that would likely put BD>SCV>Cavaliers>Coats as the top 4. Crown will stay ahead of Boston/Cadets only due to their great brass and strong percussion. Their GE scores will drop during finals week due to the guard IMO.  Seen it happen many times.

Could be, which is way overboard, but this is what happens when guard be people rule the roost.

22 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

Quite interesting how the uh... more traditional crowd so readily uses the phrase "ADHD" like it's nothing. 

Reminds me of when people used to use the word "ret*rded" (huh didn't know DCP censored that) or "gay" as adjectives pretty often

But I digress. 

I agree it is quite a bit of sensory stimulation, but that's what makes it so much fun and impressive

My Way is going over so many heads. The take away for me is that it's supposed to be jarring and a bit satirical. Love it!

2 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

Or just expect more humanity out of, well, humans. 

2 minutes ago, MikeRapp said:

Precisely. They have the weakest horn line of the top eight, and yet they are challenging for fourth? Sure.

exactly.

Haven't they been consistently been placing 5th in brass, though? I'm confused.

12 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

well everyone is so easily offended - so there is that! lol

Wait, I thought Trump ended all of that.