Boston Crusaders 2018

1 hour ago, KVG_DC said:

They’ve always had the potential for that sort of sustain in the way they play them.  They’ve done a lot with dynamics control during sustained chords and changes in ballads recently.   I was just listening to Animal Farm again the other day and they got such a great sound in the ballad doing sustained chords with dynamic swellls into the changes.  

One thing to keep in mind is that although the brass writer is the same now as for Animal Farm, Ryan George, the entire brass staff came on board last year and transformed the Boston brass sound you hear today.  Even this year over last, they have made huge strides forward with their sound and the overall quality of their sound.  This is Gino's brass sound.  Boston  will surprise many folks this year with their horn line. IMO.

• Like 9

5 hours ago, Liahona said:

I can't wait to hear the whole show next Friday on BFDTV (Broadcasting for Drum corps) on YouTube  of their Concert in the Park event from Thursday evening...I wish I could be their live...

That’s right!  I remember watching last year.  Thanks for the reminder! 

3 hours ago, LabMaster said:

One thing to keep in mind is that although the brass writer is the same now as for Animal Farm, Ryan George, the entire brass staff came on board last year and transformed the Boston brass sound you hear today.  Even this year over last, they have made huge strides forward with their sound and the overall quality of their sound.  This is Gino's brass sound.  Boston  will surprise many folks this year with their horn line. IMO.

Oh of course. Animal Farm was one of those arrangements and shows that, for all the great it was by those who brought it to life, made me realize there was a lot more potential to unlock there. I’m thrilled to see it being tapped into. 

I’d love to hear last year’s (and probably this year’s) Brad’s play through that show. 

On 6/6/2018 at 12:09 PM, drummergirl said:

Glad to hear this because food last year on tour was terrible and those controlling the money wouldn’t allow ops team to spend money to make sure members ate quality food in appropriate quantities for the level of activity. 

I was sorry to see this statement, but as the parent of an age-out MM in his third corps (don't hate people - he's now a music educator & learning from more people was part of his plan), my son didn't see it this way last year. While he still lost weight over the course of the tour, he felt that the food he received at Boston was of much better quality than his previous two corps. I only saw two meals in person, and neither of them were the "special" meals (like the famous Winckel BBQ), and while not fancy, there was protein & fruits & vegetables available - not just pasta & PBJ. He lost weight because he was working hard & it's hard to eat much when it's hot & you have to go work some more - I learned that first hand in my own outdoor summer jobs. As Americans, we put a lot of emphasis on food, but if you're in drum corps for the food, you just don't get it.

• Like 7

Nothing Boston does or accomplishes this year should come as a surprise to anyone.. It is a product of getting the right people together to attract better talent and bring the most out in that talent.

I don't think any of it is a surprise.

The surprise occurred in August of 2016!

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, cadet93 said:

Nothing Boston does or accomplishes this year should come as a surprise to anyone.. It is a product of getting the right people together to attract better talent and bring the most out in that talent.

I don't think any of it is a surprise.

The surprise occurred in August of 2016!

At the Crusaders Spring Fling fundraising gala in 2015 the management of the corps announced that the name BAC going forward would have a new meaning.  Bad ### Crusaders was now Building a Champion.

They had the plan, the support, the leadership and the will to turn this bold statement into reality.
They are doing what they told they would do.

• Like 6

• Like 3

this is what happens when there's actually funding in drum corps. you can have winter camps in florida (where over 50% of the membership resides, according to holland on facebook), spring training at a college campus in vermont with the members having access to the dorms and the college's dining hall. you can have your pick of the litter when it comes to staff and when great design is let loose to act freely and has great instructional staffs, talent frickin comes. so what we see this year will be a result of that. money talks, but in this industry, money effin' yells.