Cadets 2018

26 minutes ago, ftwdrummer said:

1 hour ago, ndrudy2013 said:

I agree, I'll take a Gino's brass line over what they have now and would love to see him go back to the Cadets. Cadets had some pretty strong brass lines when he was there.

I still remember when he came to Cadets in 2000. His passion was intimidating the first camp. But you quickly saw how his excellence rubbed off on the rest of the corps. That was one of the few reasons I regretted not going back in 2001/2002. 

27 minutes ago, ftwdrummer said:

Side-note: still think those uniforms work better with white pants. And maybe a neon cummerbund of some sort.

Something like, say, the guard uniforms here:

One of my absolute FAVORITE Cadets shows. I always wished I auditioned that year just so I could have marched the end of that opener.

Side note: Look at that freaking GUARD! I miss April's guard lines. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, George Dixon said:

I believe Hopkins felt that the unaltered uniforms cost them a championship in 2007 and 2013 so 2014 they did the cumberbunds and 2015 the color change 

All of us know what cost us the championships in those years. There’s no way we were beating Crown in 13, and the cringeworthy narration in 07 was just an embarrassment. Honestly, from 06 on, we didn’t understand what was needed to win. Our individual performance captions were excellent, but visual and GE...YIKES!

• Like 2

ok Crownies are making a big deal about their pitsters grovelling on the ground under their keyboards. And Cavies think they are men hauling xylophones onto the field. But what pit matches Cadets?

Catch what our marimbastas wear during Sensemaya....a halo of goat hooves.

Dh2xatmUEAMwd9b.jpg

7 hours ago, Cappybara said:

I for one really really enjoy 2012. One of my all time favorites, cheese and all

Absolutely. I loved the Christmas show. 

34 minutes ago, xandandl said:

ok Crownies are making a big deal about their pitsters grovelling on the ground under their keyboards. And Cavies think they are men hauling xylophones onto the field. But what pit matches Cadets?

Catch what our marimbastas wear during Sensemaya....a halo of goat hooves.

Dh2xatmUEAMwd9b.jpg

I saw this in the lot and thought it was such a cool little detail that you definitely wouldn't notice from the stands

51 minutes ago, wallace said:

All of us know what cost us the championships in those years. There’s no way we were beating Crown in 13, and the cringeworthy narration in 07 was just an embarrassment. Honestly, from 06 on, we didn’t understand what was needed to win. Our individual performance captions were excellent, but visual and GE...YIKES!

In 13 the fact that he drove off our guard staff after 12 cost the corps dearly, and we know how they’ve done at SCV 

• Like 6

Loved the Christmas Show as well. I also remember Bridgemen's last competitive show Christmas in July but not much Christmas Music that I recollect. The Cadets really got to us that year, great show.

7 hours ago, FTNK said:

"I'll take the 'Mad Tea Party' and ballad of our show over any drum corps show ever" GH, finals week 2006

Of course none of that really matters when we learned 12 years later that he had sexually assaulted our assistant director that year and one of our hornline members who aged out and worked at YEA the next.

Anyway it's great that they have a show they can dig into and enjoy performing this year.

I really love them this year because I know they’re enjoying their time in the Cadets with less stress. They’re being lifted up with positive people around them.  And you can feel it, even watching on tv.  I can’t imagine how I will feel Sunday night. 

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

I really love them this year because I know they’re enjoying their time in the Cadets with less stress. They’re being lifted up with positive people around them.  And you can feel it, even watching on tv.  I can’t imagine how I will feel Sunday night. 

To hear Miss Sarah the horn sgt. speak, to hear Miss Claire, Mr. Steve, and Miss Loren -all the drum majors, speak is to hear the other 150 as well. Each one with a sense of mission, a sense of maturing if not maturity, people witth purpose and taking on themselves a responsibility to get the corps to its 85th and beyond. These are not kool-aid drinkers...Gatorade maybe*...but not kool aid.  They could have marched anywhere else. They chose to remain and prosper.  As one mm said to me: "How do you make a marriage work forever until death do you part?  How do you keep your job and not lose your pension when your boss is having a bad day ?  How do you stay loyal when a friend is sick or the way isn't easy?  These are life skills to be learned here this year."  I was knocked over and overwhelmed.  Many older adults haven't learned this yet. I know I am still learning.

PS. FWIW the mellophone line drinks $35 of Gatorade per grocery run...sometimes even with specific flavors requested, ha, ha.  Celebrities who forget the gatorade have been known to have their photos posted on nefarious web sites whose names will not appear here. Their photos also appear at the post office now.

Edited by xandandl
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1