Cadets 2018

The 2018 show itself is placing where it should.  Portions of it are very solid and compelling.  Portions are not.  Everything between the end of Sensemaya and the start of the ballad is a swing and miss for me.  The multi-minute drum feature, while performed well, derails the flow and feel of the program.  It highlights a couple things the corps doesn’t do very well:  Front ensemble design/electronics sound design.  

My highlights for this Cadets program:

1.  THEY MOVE-It’s nice to see a corps challenged with marching and playing.  Nothing in the activity is harder to do well.

2.  The ballad, musically, is very well done.  While I find the guard contribution lacking, it’s still very moving.

3.  Use of space-So many groups crowding the front sideline or stuck hovering on or near props this year.  The Cadets touch each corner of the field.  As a result there is good variety to the visual density/texture.  It’s refreshing.  Many groups are attempting reduced field, indoor productions outside-and indeed are being well rewarded for it.  The Cadets use the whole stage and also explore the environmental demands this presents.  I hope more groups do this going forward.

The best part of 2018 for the Cadets, is the corps itself:  Their tenacity to hang tough when events in April exploded.  A new director, new board, guard caption head gone...the doubt that must have been in so many young minds is hard to imagine.  While this show isn’t “great”, this group of kids and instructional staff certainly ARE.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, ThePlanets said:

Playing devil's advocate...but who do the Cadets pass next year? 

I am saying this because this is the first year in recent memory that ALL of the top 6 shows are great. Looking back just to 15/16 the Cavaliers and Boston weren't as competitive and you had BK knocking on the door of the back half of finals. There has always been a gap between the top groups and BK...and the Cadets this year are already past BK but a distance from the top groups.

I know we are all used to the Cadets being in the mix for a championship and I would love a 7 horse race... I just think they have a lot of work ahead of them to make it that way

If it was the early days of DCI and you asked Des Plains Vanguard, 27th Lancers, DeLaSalle Oaklands, Kilties, and perhaps Cavaliers, 7th is not the place to be, referring to the "7th Place curse" though in all fairness, Oaklands came back as a merged corps in 1975 and made finals in 75 and 76 and Cavies placed 7th in 76 and 77 before falling out of finals which I would say broke the curse since they placed 7th in 76, and returned in 77, but don't tell that to some 27th folks who claim they broke the curse since they placed 7th in 78 and placed 5th in 79. Personally, I think 7th place for Cadets is a solid and reasonable prediction. I know some Blue Star and Blue Knights folks are hoping for a shot at 7th, but I think that may be more wishful thing than anything else. 

Cadets could have challenges in the upcoming season, but they will probably be administrative in nature. A good deal of work cleaning up the administrative mess of the former director will take more than a few months to straighten out, and new issues may emerge, however any group that could get Cadets on the field in so short a time will be able to face whatever comes. What will not be a challenge is recruiting new talent, maintaining staff and recruiting talented new staff if any holes need to be filled.

Since Bluecoats and Crown will not be fighting for 6th as some predicted in May, BAC is not all hype, Blue Devils will not be falling, Cavies are strong, and SCV is having a great season, recruiting top talent will be a challenge, but unlike last year, if Cadets find themselves in 7th it is not because of poor management and bad show design ideas, and a 7th this year is a step forward, not backwards, so I see Cadets in good shape for next year. However, as George Dixon said, let's get through this season first.

• Like 1

Penn State's Beaver Stadium honors undefeated, conference champion and national champion teams by posting the year on the club level box.

None of the other teams receive that honor, with one exception.

The season following the Jerry Sandusky scandal, the NCAA offered an opportunity for every Penn State football player to transfer to another school without losing a year of eligibility. The senior class rallied around their football team, saying 'one man didn't build Penn State and one man's not going to tear it down.' Very few players transferred. After losing the first two games, Penn State went 8 and 2 down the stretch. Before the final game against Wisconsin, the year 2012 was unveiled among the championship teams.

Parallels with the 2018 Cadets are striking.

In my mind, 2018 Cadets should be remembered with the same honor as the pre DCI Champion Corps, and with 1983, 84, 85, 87, 90, 93, 98, 2000, 05, and 11. Their accomplishments and importance to the Cadets drum corps ranks with any year, and maybe even greater.

• Like 7

11 minutes ago, mfrontz said:

Penn State's Beaver Stadium honors undefeated, conference champion and national champion teams by posting the year on the club level box.

None of the other teams receive that honor, with one exception.

The season following the Jerry Sandusky scandal, the NCAA offered an opportunity for every Penn State football player to transfer to another school without losing a year of eligibility. The senior class rallied around their football team, saying 'one man didn't build Penn State and one man's not going to tear it down.' Very few players transferred. After losing the first two games, Penn State went 8 and 2 down the stretch. Before the final game against Wisconsin, the year 2012 was unveiled among the championship teams.

Parallels with the 2018 Cadets are striking.

In my mind, 2018 Cadets should be remembered with the same honor as the pre DCI Champion Corps, and with 1983, 84, 85, 87, 90, 93, 98, 2000, 05, and 11. Their accomplishments and importance to the Cadets drum corps ranks with any year, and maybe even greater.

add in 80...they almost folded

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, George Dixon said:

Thanks for posting this George. Looks to be very interesting!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FTNK said:

Honestly wondering if/how they can be competitive if they continue to play and march at the same time

At first, your comment made me frustrated.  Then it made me laugh!

At this point, I want to see them move and play at the same time.  If there is another corps this year with harder drill, I’d like someone to point it out.  I really appreciate Cadets trying to challenge themselves.

• Like 6