The Cadets and GH history of sexual abuse (news article)

37 minutes ago, garfield said:

DCI has no mechanism in these documents or in practical application to take the punitive, demanding role you've assigned to them.    

What ?  I just provided an example of such demands that DCI imposed on a Corps, and suspended them from DCI Competition until those demands on the part of DCI were met. The punitive damage was in essence the suspension by DCI of the Corps.until they made internal organizational infrastructure changes that satisfied the demands of DCI, and not until.  Any notion that DCI is a mere bystander in all this, and is impotent in imposing sanctions of some sort on a member Corps is both wrong, and not supported by what DCI has done in the past in situations regarding Corps internal mismanagement. If DCI does not like how a Corps is run, they have the authority to take punitive actions in emergency, unusual circumstances if the chose to. We know this as they have exercised this authority before... one example ( of others ) that I just cited were  the Troopers  DCI imposed suspension in the 2006-2007 timeframe. Few are calling for this with the Cadets, but DCI has lots of actionable things open to themselves if this is not handled properly by YEA/ Cadets.

Edited by BRASSO

6 minutes ago, Incognito365 said:

Casting someone down by the neck is completely different than all but hunching on the field. It's pushing someone down versus sex. Like I said, if they had a problem with that I'm sure they would've spoken up. These are 90% adults were talking about. It's not a bunch of high schoolers who go with the flow and have little to no understanding of what's acceptable. Then again, here we are discussing something when we don't know the full story. Maybe the two in Crown 2016 were dating? Maybe they were both gay and comfortable enough with their sexuality to do it. There's many possibilities one needs to consider before casting a stone, and the op of this Crown topic didn't.

This was not a high schooler. My point is that staff must be far more aware of what we demand and how we teach it. Does that routine need to be done that way? Do I have to touch the member to adjust that? Should we design that into the show? That self awareness needs to become standard -- and that means asking the members, among other things. They won't volunteer it normally, at any age. Few adults will in a workplace abuse situation, let alone young people who want to please us. It's on us.

36 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

Penalties for failure to do these things are unfortunately not provided here.

We can assume that DCI  does not have the legal authority to specifically demand and enforce the replacement of any Corps Board of Directors.  However, it seems to me that DCI has the legal authority to protect both the brand and reputation of its DCI afiliations if it is determined that any of its member Corps has violated policies and procedures regarding its membership in DCI. if true, DCI is not simply a bystander in all this, imo.  They have oversight authority and a fiduciary DUTY it would seem to me to impose some sort of sanctions of some kind should ( for just one example ) the current YEA Board refuse to resign, step down.

DCI has unilaterally exercised its oversight authority in the past to revoke a Corps from further participation in DCI Competition until that Corps got its internal infrastructure up to acceptable standards as determined by DCI itself. The Troopers in 2006 were informed by DCI that they were suspended from further participation in DCI World Class Competition until such time as a mandatory change in their infrastructure  of their organization took place. They also needed to clear debt. Presumably, the Troopers made personnel changes inside their organization that allowed them to become in compliance with DCI's demand. The Troopers made the neccessary organizational changes, then reapplied for full evaluation of their internals. DCI went and look at their internal organization changes, and a year later, the Troopers saw the return to their full membership status for World Class Division. This was primarily of a financial nature this suspension too. Its hard to imagine that DCI would not have similar oversight authority to impose sanctions on a Corps on a much more serious set as circumstances that effect all of DCI from what was just revealed in the national media.

Perhaps DCI can be sparred from having to make some rather difficult decisions here re. The Cadets, if the YEA Board there simply does what is called for here, imo. They should now follow the lead of the person that put them in that position of trust and oversight responsibility for YEA in the first place and resign. One would think they would do so if they really had the best interests of YEA at heart now anyway. As said by many others, its seems unlikely that the healing process, and the rebuilding process with the Cadets, USBAA, Schools, Housing sites, etc can proceed with a current YEA  Board that seems so dysfunctional in too many ways to list.

(Almost) everything else you say here is based on one, simple premise, and I agree with it all: DCI can require certain thresholds be met in order to participate in the tour.

But, If GH took the Cadets to Broadway, continued running the rest of their programs, and flipped his middle finger at DCI, then DCI would have no more power to force him to change anything in his organization.

Yes, DCI has teeth when it comes to the tour.  And the members can ask the DCI to take any action they, and their counsel, decide.

Edited by garfield

2 hours ago, BRASSO said:

As an outsider, its inconceivable that the Cadets can really begin the healing process, and a satisfactory transitional period ,without the total replacement of that current YEA Board, imo. A " good house cleaning", just as you said seems to be not only in order, but perhaps a requirement now there.

Agreed but things like that take time. Sean’s only been in the seat since Thursday night. There’s a to do list I’m sure, and there may be other internal priorities that come first 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, footform said:

This was not a high schooler. My point is that staff must be far more aware of what we demand and how we teach it. Does that routine need to be done that way? Do I have to touch the member to adjust that? Should we design that into the show? That self awareness needs to become standard -- and that means asking the members, among other things. They won't volunteer it normally, at any age. Few adults will in a workplace abuse situation, let alone young people who want to please us. It's on us.

Like I said, there are several points of view that need to be considered before casting a stone and the op didn't. I'm tired of repeating myself. I can't do it anymore. Lol. I'll leave it with this. Maybe, as the staff member, you ought to ask the question "are you comfortable with that?".

Edited by Incognito365

8 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

What ?  I just provided an example of such demands that DCI imposed on a Corps, and suspended them from DCI Competition until those demands on the part of DCI were met. The punitive damage was in essence the suspension by DCI of the Corps I utilized as just one example of such ...until they made internal organizational infrastructure changes that satisfied the demands of DCI, and not until.  Any notion that DCI is a mere bystander in all this, and is impotent in imposing sanctions on a member Corps is both wrong, and not supported by what DCI has done in the past in situations regarding Corps internal mismanagement.

We're not communicating again...

Let's drop it to not derail the thread.  The power that DCI has and chooses to use, if any, will be known by all soon enough.

• Like 6

Just now, footform said:

I had a lengthy response but deleted it so all I will say is WOW

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

Agreed but things like that take time. Sean’s only been in the seat since Thursday night. There’s a to do list I’m sure, and there may be other internal priorities that come first 

Yup. With the camp this weekend as well - I'm sure there are many "to-do" the next few days. Hopefully a meeting with the BOD advising/suggesting/recommending they resign is among the "to-do" he has in mind. Launching other internal reviews, lining up an external/independent audit/review and a check in with each staff member is key as well. An "inventory of sorts" is key

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

I had a lengthy response but deleted it so all I will say is WOW

WOW is a good response. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, garfield said:

We're not communicating again...

Let's drop it to not derail the thread.  The power that DCI has and chooses to use, if any, will be known by all soon enough.

They don't have nearly as much power as one might think. Speaking generally.