mingusmonk

The Cadets and GH history of sexual abuse (news article)

3 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

Same could be said about all the long term member corps. What else ya got?

A bit of concern after you posted that the corps has debt, and no emergency fund.  Your attempts to reassure are backfiring.  But that does not dampen my hopes for a successful 2018 and future for the corps (plural).

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

Those other corps aren't currently the subject of this type of scandalous high-profile investigation. Nor did their boards of directors just resign en masse, which would ordinarily demand a complete financial audit as well. As unfortunate as it may be, the Cadets and YEA are in no position to be given the benefit of the doubt when it comes to exactly what's "under the hood." Not now. And I don't know what you're standard is for making declarations that "all is well" with their current financial situation, or their ability to get both corps through the summer in good shape (not to mention having the resources to make sure the band circuit is set to go in September), but any organization doing the investigating will probably have a higher standard. As they should.

I hope they do pass whatever examination of their books winds up happening. I truly do.

47 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

Sewing lol 

Oh thank God.  Calling them sows could have spawned a whole new series of articles.  

40 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

A bit of concern after you posted that the corps has debt, and no emergency fund.  Your attempts to reassure are backfiring.  But that does not dampen my hopes for a successful 2018 and future for the corps (plural).

Due to current circumstances, they may have the best de facto emergency fund ever.  Of course if there are lawsuits it could still be outpaced by actual emergencies.

Edited by skevinp

1 hour ago, cybersnyder said:

https://projects.propublica.org/nonprofits/organizations/222052456/201723189349305587/IRS990

I'm not a lawyer, but it looks like their net assets are around 400k with 500k of that being equipment.

Holy crap, GH took a $176k salary from YEA! in 2016?????  At least that's what the 990 says. 

1 minute ago, MikeM said:

Holy crap, GH took a $176k salary from YEA! in 2016?????  At least that's what the 990 says. 

The initial Inquirer article about the allegations listed a similar figure.

That's on the high side for a non-profit of YEA's overall budget size, in my opinion, but not out of bounds.

1 minute ago, N.E. Brigand said:

That's on the high side for a non-profit of YEA's overall budget size, in my opinion, but not out of bounds.

Hmm. Checking that 990, I see YEA's budget is smaller than I thought. Just $5.5 million? So that does make $176,000 seem pretty high, at least relative to some arts organizations around here, even after factoring in the cost-of-living difference between cities.

1 hour ago, George Dixon said:

and i've long said it should at least be bi-annual review

52 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

well in recent days, many estranged alumni have opened their wallets in ways the corps hasn't seen in decades

8 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

may also include judging income. plus the company car i hope they got back