The Cadets and GH history of sexual abuse (news article)

Like Jeff and a few others posting here I've heard the rumors of this - especially since January. Bits and pieces. Half of me hoping they were just that - rumors. Clearly they were not.

Hopkins should be fired. Immediately. 

That's my take. 

He can no longer serve effectively as the director of a youth organization - and the Cadets/YEA will need to move on without him

I also feel (as an outsider) that the board of directors actions should receive an external review by DCI - or a group of Cadets alumni/staff/volunteers - a committee of sorts. Sounds like the board may need fired and replaced as well. That needs investigated.

Hopefully the current and past members of the Cadets, the staff, the volunteers and donors, all know that We love and support them and their hard work and achievements. This doesn't impact that love. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

25 minutes ago, chaddyt said:

Sorry to harp on this, but the silence from Allentown is deafening to me.

Three.  ****ing.  Months.

Regardless of how valid they perceive these allegations to be, the BoD had three months to ready a response.  I simply cannot fathom that the legal advice was "Let's just wait and see what the reaction is" in this day and age.  You need not have stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night to know that simply trying to wait this out was NOT the right strategy.

They're not defending the report.  They're not refuting the report.

No suspension.  No "put on paid leave".

Nothing.

Pure incompetence.

Could member recruitment be a factor?  Are all the members contracted by January?

2 minutes ago, TwoValves said:

Yes in its entirety.   The allegations with 5 of them were employees working in the office - not members of the corps.  3 made claims from when they were marching members in the early 1980's, and the 9th isn't identified.  

I'm not excusing any of the behavior.  Just being clear that it was more of a workplace sexual harassment issue, and not a case of young children being left alone with a predator in situations like showers or exam rooms.  That comparison is not accurate.  

It’s a situation where a man in power exerts his power over those below him. 

I’d say there are certainly parallels. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, TwoValves said:

Yes in its entirety.   The allegations with 5 of them were employees working in the office - not members of the corps.  3 made claims from when they were marching members in the early 1980's, and the 9th isn't identified.  

I'm not excusing any of the behavior.  Just being clear that it was more of a workplace sexual harassment issue, and not a case of young children being left alone with a predator in situations like showers or exam rooms.  That comparison is not accurate.  

if it's even one 16 year old,  it's pretty revolting to see people react with "it was more of a workplace sexual harassment issue." 

whether you understand it or not, it's a mitigating statement your're making. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, barigirl78 said:

Could member recruitment be a factor?  Are all the members contracted by January?

If member recruitment is their concern, getting out in front of this would’ve been the way to go.

55 minutes ago, barigirl78 said:

Are you referring to the Philadelphia Inquirer?

Yes

Just now, chaddyt said:

If member recruitment is their concern, getting out in front of this would’ve been the way to go.

If member recruitment is their concern VS this - they shouldn't be on the BOD

their primary job is to ensure the safety and well-being of members, staff and volunteers - everything else is secondary

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Lance said:

if it's even one 16 year old,  it's pretty revolting to see people react with "it was more of a workplace sexual harassment issue." 

whether you understand it or not, it's a mitigating statement your're making. 

Yeah, just because 5 > 3 doesn't make it "more of a workplace sexual harassment issue."

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, 84BDsop said:

I'm just waiting to see how long it takes this thread to surpass the usual Cadets thread that grows at lightspeed every year.

This is G7 level.... but bigger

• Like 2