The Cadets and GH history of sexual abuse (news article)

7 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

There was little social media back in the 90’s when the Capitolaires case occurred.  However, there was an abundance of social media in 2013 when the person in question returned to drum corps.  This was a case of a couple of people bringing it to the attention of the powers that be and being ignored and/or threatened.  

I would like to have faith that people would scream bloody murder...I’ll have to wait and see.  

And is that unnamed person still in the activity?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

I keep reading this. Never read any actual detail though. You got any specifics?  Don't even need to include names. But this "everybody knows" while including zero information is not really moving the needle. 

I will PM you a little later

If I forget please feel free to PM me

Edited by GUARDLING

George Hopkins even hired ( with the former YEA Board rubber stamping the hire ) as recently as 2 years ago an individual found guilty by a Jury of his Peers of secretly videotaping a female minor in a school shower with his hidden camera. Such individuals should be given " a second chance " in a NON youth activity, if thats what an adult oriented Company or organization wants to do so. But should such an individual be allowed to be hired by an all summer long touring youth group ?. No. I don't think so.  Not on my watch, if I'm a DCI HQ Executive Director, anyway. One strike and you're  out,... forever... when it comes to working with minors in youth organizations. I know, I can be pretty unforgiving on this with maybe some here. But  "he's  paid his dues " is the frequent refrain sometimes heard . No, I don't think so, in my view. As the " dues " travels with that minor victim forever and is incalcuable as " dues " to be paid.. Maybe its because I've raised 2 daughters, and that explains my extraordinary cautiousness in wanting to protect them at all costs when they were minors and when they were put in trust of other, non related adults, when I was not present, ie... like summer youth tours, or whatnot. The GH hire was eventually let go. But what got that to happen ? It was " public opinion " that came to the fore, when DCI and YEA failed to do what needed to be done in the 1st place, ie not hire a guy that previously had been found guilty in a jury trial of deviant sexual behaviors around minors on school grounds. There is no Statute of Limitations with Crimes visited upon minors by adults when it comes thinking about rehiring them. We should tell them to take a hike. Our Youth are are most precious National Resource, imo. They should be protected better than Fort Knox is, imo.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, GUARDLING said:

I will PM you a little later

Roger that!

• Thanks 1

On 5/1/2018 at 2:19 PM, Daave said:

Given the overall circumstances and conditions of the DCI letter, the name of one individual carry's that sort of certainty?  

As part of the overall changes they are making the new director should be another strong indicator of the significant steps the new board is taking to move the organization forward in a successful way.

15 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

George Hopkins even hired ( with the former YEA Board rubber stamping the hire ) as recently as 2 years ago an individual found guilty by a Jury of his Peers of secretly videotaping a female minor in a school shower with his hidden camera. Such individuals should be given " a second chance " in a NON youth activity, if thats what an adult oriented Company or organization wants to do so. But should such an individual be allowed to be hired by an all summer long touring youth group ?. No. I don't think so.  Not on my watch, if I'm a DCI HQ Executive Director, anyway. One strike and you're  out,... forever... when it comes to working with minors in youth organizations. I know, I can be pretty unforgiving on this with maybe some here. But  "he's  paid his dues " is the frequent refrain sometimes heard . No, I don't think so, in my view. As the " dues " travels with that victim forever and is incalcuable as " dues " by others.. Maybe its because I've raised 2 daughters, and that explains my extraordinary cautiousness in wanting to protect them at all costs when they were minors  and when put in trust of adults when I was not present, ie... like summer youth tours, or whatnot. That GH hire was eventually let go. But what got that to happen ? It was " public opinion " that came to the fore, when DCI and YEA failed to do what needed to be done in the 1st place, ie not hire a guy that previously had been found guilty in a jury trial of deviant sexual behaviors around minors on school grounds.

If I were the king of drum corps, I would have said, fine you can keep them on staff but we’re not going to schedule you in any shows.  They did and do have that power. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

If I were the king of drum corps, I would have said, fine you can keep them on staff but we’re not going to schedule you in any shows.  They did and do have that power. 

Hmmm  interesting...why not Queen?....lol..kidding :inlove:

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Haha 2