The Cadets and GH history of sexual abuse (news article)

30 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

Definitely want to be king.  :laughing:

Their robes alone are spiffy. Terri.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Incognito365 said:

One good thing did come out of this whole ordeal...we don't have to worry about the Woodwind Takeover now. 

We don't know that.  Just because one woodwind pusher is gone doesn't mean there aren't other saxual predators lurking in the shadows.  

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, BRASSO said:

George Hopkins even hired ( with the former YEA Board rubber stamping the hire ) as recently as 2 years ago an individual found guilty by a Jury of his Peers of secretly videotaping a female minor in a school shower with his hidden camera. Such individuals should be given " a second chance " in a NON youth activity, if thats what an adult oriented Company or organization wants to do so. But should such an individual be allowed to be hired by an all summer long touring youth group ?. No. I don't think so.  Not on my watch, if I'm a DCI HQ Executive Director, anyway. One strike and you're  out,... forever... when it comes to working with minors in youth organizations. I know, I can be pretty unforgiving on this with maybe some here. But  "he's  paid his dues " is the frequent refrain sometimes heard . No, I don't think so, in my view. As the " dues " travels with that minor victim forever and is incalcuable as " dues " to be paid.. Maybe its because I've raised 2 daughters, and that explains my extraordinary cautiousness in wanting to protect them at all costs when they were minors and when they were put in trust of other, non related adults, when I was not present, ie... like summer youth tours, or whatnot. The GH hire was eventually let go. But what got that to happen ? It was " public opinion " that came to the fore, when DCI and YEA failed to do what needed to be done in the 1st place, ie not hire a guy that previously had been found guilty in a jury trial of deviant sexual behaviors around minors on school grounds. There is no Statute of Limitations with Crimes visited upon minors by adults when it comes thinking about rehiring them. We should tell them to take a hike. Our Youth are are most precious National Resource, imo. They should be protected better than Fort Knox is, imo.

And right here on this very website, several posters strongly defended GH's right to hire this "gentleman". Sad. 

• Like 3

From Trisha Nadolny (@TriciaNadolny):

Yesterday I asked to interview DCI director Dan Acheson about the rule and policy changes the board adopted this week, in response to my story on George Hopkins. Today I was told no. He won't take my call and will only take questions in writing.

Edited by MusicManNJ
Fixed bad link

For those having trouble with MMNJ's link (I am grateful  to him to alerting us to it).

Not a good look for Acheson, who needs to stay ahead of the story.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

For those having trouble with MMNJ's link (I am grateful  to him to alerting us to it).

Not a good look for Acheson, who needs to stay ahead of the story.

Thanks! I tried to embed the tweet but it kept showing the code and not the spiffy image you were able to get. And I agree... this is a TERRIBLE look. Bad job on the communications side. 

16 minutes ago, MusicManNJ said:

Thanks! I tried to embed the tweet but it kept showing the code and not the spiffy image you were able to get. And I agree... this is a TERRIBLE look. Bad job on the communications side. 

I send them direct message to myself on Twitter and then copy.  

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, MusicManNJ said:

There may be valid reasons why Dan Acheson does not speak to reporters, but there are also valid reasons why he should, and it’s likely not speaking is at the advice of legal counsel. However, DCI has good public relations folks that I believe do a good job at promoting the activity, and professional public relations people would know how to word things and handle reporters. Most people would view not addressing reporters as either covering up or just as bad, not caring.