The Cadets and GH history of sexual abuse (news article)

2 minutes ago, garfield said:

Your contention that the BoD was somehow obligated to accede to the claimants' demands in order to even know what claims they were making is not based in legal precedent or reality.  If "I know something REALLY bad about your ED but I'm not going to tell you until you suspend him from his duties" is a really tough place for any BoD to start, not just Cadets'.

Truth. Seems like there should have been some kind of communication between the aggrieved parties lawyers and the BoD's legal counsel at that point to try and do fact finding and talk things through. Apparent failure at some point.

1 minute ago, Ediker said:

The board members know that all viable solutions involve their resignation.

I have less faith in the board than you do. But then I thought GH wouldn't resign and would have to be fired, so who knows.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

only thing i will take you on about:

he did not change drum corps all by himself. others had to agree...and in some cases made the proposals he is blamed for to this day.

Facts....a damning thing

this is 100% true..people blame him for things they didn't like YET there are all the other corps who whole heartedly wanted many things also

15 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

what scares me about this:

the rumor was ablaze at the Januals. It was the worst kept secret. yet they say they didn't know. details? No. Call and say "um hey we heard...." yes, should have happened.

Strange that they would ignore that elephant in the room...but that’s just me, I guess. 

10 minutes ago, garfield said:

Your claims that 3, or even 4 or 10, months since the BoD found out is incriminating are misplaced.  If you disagree, cite your source for "normal" timeframes for response - OR ACTION.

As soon as they were aware of allegations of sexual misconduct, didn't they have an obligation to keep him away from the members? Have there been no rehearsals by Cadets or YEA's winter organzation(s) since January?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Are you sure? We know about DCI (and DCA too) having punished corps in the past. Not saying that's the answer, just saying historically, it's been done.

OK, it's obvious I was not clear (maybe my reply to him will help clarify) - it was not Brasso's contention that DCI can suspend them, it's all the other stuff like protocols that I was objecting to.

• Thanks 1

Wow... I should not be taking this much time out of my day to read all this stuff, but somehow it draws one in.  Like rubbernecking an accident on the side of the road. LOL.

I am going to suggest taking Garfield's advice about predicting the future. None of us can... and it's good advice to not try. Better for the blood pressure. :innocent:  Heck... If I could see into the future, I'd be out buying Mega Millions and Power Ball tickets right now. Maybe betting on this weekend's Kentucky Derby prep races, too. 

My personal opinion... the YEA board has to be replaced with new people. 

But whether that happens... or whether Cadets survive, Cadets2 survive, USBands survives, DCI does or does not suspend Cadets operations, more allegations come forward, no more allegations come to light, staffers and marching members leave or join the YEA organization, or somehow the founding members from the 1934 Holy Name corps come back to life and take charge... none of us know. And quite honestly, few of us are even in a position (having inside knowledge, etc.)  to speculate about such things.

OK... now back to our regularly-scheduled 10,000-page "topic having to do with the Cadets" thread.  :8_laughing:

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, N.E. Brigand said:

As soon as they were aware of allegations of sexual misconduct, didn't they have an obligation to keep him away from the members? Have there been no rehearsals by Cadets or YEA's winter organzation(s) since January?

YES, if allegations were made then until fully investigated he should have taken a leave from the day to day operations.jmo

• Like 3