Update from the Philadelphia Inquirer

58 minutes ago, mingusmonk said:

itKBn8M.png

Although it is possible that Joel was lying. To save face. To prevent news from getting out before xmen communicated. Or something.

Agree... I think this is more the saving face since this was know but not publicized yet since he wanted to address it with the corps directly.

1 hour ago, HockeyDad said:

I'm sorry to dwell on this, but ...  the guy who allowed a predator to be his assistant corps director; the guy who apparently didn't find it necessary to information the MMs or parents of this fact; the guy who didn't act until the Philadelphia Inquirer apparently shamed him into it; is also the chairman of DCI's Board of Directors?  The man we are supposed to trust to lead drum corps out of this?  How amazingly tone deaf and flat out stupid. Why isn't Morrison gone?  Today. 

Actually, he did act before the story. This was something that was developing since April. He gave someone a second chance and did not try to hide it. Mr Moody did not have any issue with the Crossmen that was reported. Now, you or I may not have done the same thing but Morrison was doing what he thought was a good thing. So, that is why he is not gone. Again the cadets issue and corpsmen issue are not equivalent in any way shape or form.

18 minutes ago, MusicManNJ said:

Actually, he did act before the story. This was something that was developing since April. He gave someone a second chance and did not try to hide it. Mr Moody did not have any issue with the Crossmen that was reported. Now, you or I may not have done the same thing but Morrison was doing what he thought was a good thing. So, that is why he is not gone. Again the cadets issue and corpsmen issue are not equivalent in any way shape or form.

What?  He did not try to hide it?  Uh, yeah, that's exactly what he did. Mr. Moody did not have any issue with Crossmen that was reported?  Uh, yeah, he did. Stafffers (that's plural) complained to the corps director and were not listened to. And, who actually knows when the corps director took action. All we know is what he said. And what the reporter said. Right now I'm leaving heavily towards believing the reporter. 

Edited by HockeyDad

18 minutes ago, MusicManNJ said:

Now, you or I may not have done the same thing but Morrison was doing what he thought was a good thing. 

So Fred Morrison, in all his arrogance, gets to be the sole arbiter of whether a man be permitted "a second chance" to supervise under-age females in a close-living situation such as touring, during a period when that person's teaching license is still revoked due to his actions, without giving the parents of those under-age females - who are spending thousands of dollars to place their children in the care of that staff, mind you - the right to make an informed decision?!?

Edited by Eleran
  • Like 4

20 minutes ago, MusicManNJ said:

Were all potential Crossmen members and parents informed from the time of their auditions that one of the staff members had sexted a student when he was a high school band director, and as a consequence had lost his teaching license?

• Thanks 1

Given the fact that DCI HQ reportedly put pressure to bear  at YEA last month  to have Sean King step aside  for allegedly not acting several years back on info given to him about sexual misconduct ( sex texting ) in the YEA office allegedly by George Hopkins, it does seem rather peculiar to some fans today that Fred Morrison has not been similarly asked to step aside at the very least as the current Chairmen of the Board of Directors of DCI. Mr. Morrison saw fit to hire a person for his Crossmen's staff that had at one time lost his teaching license for 5 years for sex texting a female H.S. Student..

Perhaps there is a valid reason for Morrison's retention in that DCI  position as DCI's  BOD ChairPerson at the moment.

But I must say.... that reasoning for his retention escapes me at the moment.

Oh well, we're just mostly DCI Drum Corps fans here on DCP,  watching this DCI Drum Corps story play out and trying to make sense of what is being reported in the national media of late.

I guess what many people want to know is :... is  DCI really serious about providing a safer environment for its youth in the future ? Or is it mere words and lip service at the moment ? I suppose only time will tell.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

Given the fact that DCI HQ reportedly put pressure to bear  at YEA last month  to have Sean King step aside  for allegedly not acting several years back on info given to him about sexual misconduct ( sex texting ) in the YEA office allegedly by George Hopkins, it does seem rather peculiar to some fans today that Fred Morrison has not been asked to step aside at the very least as the current Chairmen of the Board of Directors of DCI. Mr. Morrison saw fit to hire a person for his Crossmen's staff that had at one time lost his teaching license for 5 years for sex texting a female H.S. Student..

Perhaps there is a valid reason for Morrison's retention in that DCI  position as DCI's  BOD ChairPerson at the moment.

But I must say.... that reasoning for his retention escapes me at the moment.

Oh well, we're just mostly DCI Drum Corps fans here on DCP,  watching this DCI Drum Corps story play out and trying to make sense of what is being reported in the national media of late.

The optics here are just horrible. Are they so cloistered at Indy they don't get it?  Right now it's looking like they too are part of the problem. Maybe Dan A. needs to go too. This is ridiculous. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

The optics here are just horrible. Are they so cloistered at Indy they don't get it?  Right now it's looking like they too are part of the problem. Maybe Dan A. needs to go too. This is ridiculous. 

I agree...Regardless of whether this creep was let go two weeks ago..this behavior was going on since 2012 as by victims statement and he allowed it to persist...I'm not sure why anything short of his resignation from the DCI board at the very least is in order here...

• Like 1

Is Dan Acheson's reluctance to speak with reporters due in part to guidance he's been receiving from DCI's chair?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Is Dan Acheson's reluctance to speak with reporters due in part to guidance he's been receiving from DCI's chair?

If so he has hitched his wagon to the wrong star and is in danger of going down with Morrison 

• Like 1