Update from the Philadelphia Inquirer

49 minutes ago, Eleran said:

According to the article, 37 year old Moody made a 22 year old female staff member "uneasy by giving her lingering hugs, placing his hand on her shoulder or back or sitting too close to her.  Moody also made comments about what she was wearing, she said, and offered compliments on her looks."  As a marching member, you may not be familiar yet with what is acceptable in the business world between colleagues of a company, but "lingering hugs" from a 37 year old staff member to a 22 year old staff member is not considered appropriate, especially where the 37 year-old make was likely her direct supervisor (if he was Assistant Corps Director at the time).   If anyone was actually "watching him", as you say, that would have been a red-flag.   

The article also said that 35 year old Moody propositioned an age-out to go to his house in Texas, where they had sex, and then she got a job on staff with the corps. That women indicated that Moody told her at that time about the earlier issues from 2010, so clearly she was NOT informed about his history either formally or informally during her time marching with the corps.

It's very easy to like people when you only see their good points, but if you aren't a female marcher, you would probably be better off not offering your take on the situation as representative of the viewpoint held by all corps vets, even the females.

I'm not a female or a marcher, but there is stuff here that makes me ask questions.  First, the idea of a 37 year-old acting that way around a 22 year-old is not illegal, but in the workplace between superior and staff member a situation like that goes over every recognized boundary of sexual harassment.  So my first question is, did the staff member let it be known that the advances were unwelcome, or did she try to just deal with it.  Both are not good, but if the harasser is ignoring a direct request to cease and does it anyway, it probably amplifies the consequences in any action against him.

In the second paragraph, it doesn't say what the circumstances were.  Was there a relationship that had formed between the two, or did the age-out feel that she needed to trade sex for the job?  In the first case it's a really bad idea and hopefully against the rules of the corps.  I suspect the remedy is termination of employment.  In the latter case it probably violates some laws and the 35 year-old could be in for some more serious trouble than getting fired.

I suspect more will come out here, but it seems pretty bad no matter how you look at it.  I just hope that if one of my kids ever ends up in a harassment situation that could escalate into something even worse, that she lets me know in time to run the creep out of her life.

25 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

and the NCAA has said little.

Spartans Will. 

4 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

I’d like to know, too.  If I were a betting woman, I’d wager that they had no idea. 

the kid posting in the thread pretty much made it clear he wasn't yet tried to defend him. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Daktubalan said:

Of course they should be told. But how long do hold something over someone’s head after you know they’ve changed personally? Working alongside them for 6 years? Your friend? (personal answer?)

I try to think about it in my shoes sometimes. It’s like holding things over my mother lol. But I forward as almost forgiveness which is part of my values and so many others and knowing that someone has changed for the better. (Opinion)

Forgiveness is one thing, INFORMING the people who are trusting you with their kids is another. And what the HADES does friendship have to do with this?

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Icer said:

I'm not a female or a marcher, but there is stuff here that makes me ask questions.  First, the idea of a 37 year-old acting that way around a 22 year-old is not illegal, but in the workplace between superior and staff member a situation like that goes over every recognized boundary of sexual harassment.  So my first question is, did the staff member let it be known that the advances were unwelcome, or did she try to just deal with it.  Both are not good, but if the harasser is ignoring a direct request to cease and does it anyway, it probably amplifies the consequences in any action against him.

In the second paragraph, it doesn't say what the circumstances were.  Was there a relationship that had formed between the two, or did the age-out feel that she needed to trade sex for the job?  In the first case it's a really bad idea and hopefully against the rules of the corps.  I suspect the remedy is termination of employment.  In the latter case it probably violates some laws and the 35 year-old could be in for some more serious trouble than getting fired.

I suspect more will come out here, but it seems pretty bad no matter how you look at it.  I just hope that if one of my kids ever ends up in a harassment situation that could escalate into something even worse, that she lets me know in time to run the creep out of her life.

When I was a young woman, probably about 21, my boss couldn’t keep his crusty paws off me. He’d come up behind me and start massaging my shoulders.  I’m sure he was looking down my shirt, too.  He was probably about 60 and reeked of cigarettes.  I can still remember that. My apologies to you smokers.  I did nothing.  I sat there frozen and just waited for him to stop.  It was the 70’s, I needed my job, and I hadn’t gained the confidence that I now have. Or the financial security.  

I feel empathy for young women who just put up with it.  I was that woman 40 plus years ago. 

I’m just sharing a little insight into the female psyche.  Ot at least my psyche.  

Edited by Terri Schehr
  • Thanks 3

38 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

When I was a young woman, probably about 21, my boss couldn’t keep his crusty paws off me. He’d come up behind me and start massaging my shoulders.  I’m sure he was looking down my shirt, too.  He was probably about 60 and reeked of cigarettes.  I can still remember that. My apologies to you smokers.  I did nothing.  I sat there frozen and just waited for him to stop.  It was the 70’s, I needed my job, and I hadn’t gained the confidence that I now have. Or the financial security.  

I feel empathy for young women who just put up with it.  I was that woman 40 plus years ago. 

I’m just sharing a little insight into the female psyche.  Ot at least my psyche.  

No one should have to "Just put up with it".  The fact that prevailing attitudes in the 70's made it difficult for you to do otherwise certainly perpetuated the behavior.  In 2018, hopefully more women (and men in certain situations as well) feel empowered to emphatically say "No!" when a situation crosses the line.

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

The DCI response has been like it was when the licensing stuff blew up.......hide until attorneys sign off on everything. Plus DCI, as had been stated many times, is not like the NCAA with total ( and at times over reaching) control and Power....per the bylaws, the main office is set up to support the tour and merchandise, not be the be all and end all of power and rules and regulations

I understand the structure Jeff... But optics trumps structure in this instance. No one will differentiate between the two and at this point the ostrich imitation is eroding whatever credibility DCI has.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, HockeyDad said:

I'm sure she would pick up a lot of intelligence sitting by me:  "I can't feel my butt".  "Do you smell something?  Someone needs deodorant."  "Could the emoting look any more forced?"  "Could they squeeze any more people in this row?"

I don’t think she’d want to sit by us at Indy.  Last year, a couple with baby was behind us at prelims.  He crapped his diaper not once, but twice.  The guy next to us stands up, turns around and says “who #### their pants?”

• Haha 6

8 minutes ago, Icer said:

No one should have to "Just put up with it".  The fact that prevailing attitudes in the 70's made it difficult for you to do otherwise certainly perpetuated the behavior.  In 2018, hopefully more women (and men in certain situations as well) feel empowered to emphatically say "No!" when a situation crosses the line.

Now I’d smack the #### out of him. 

Edited by Terri Schehr
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jeff Ream said:

I'm not saying he should or shouldnt do the interviews. I do feel from talking to the reporter, she actually does want to see the activity do well. Not all reporters just want a scoop and let everyone suffer however they may as long as they get the scoop.

Sorry..lol...don't buy it, why would she care. What person outside the activity ever cared much. You yourself have said this. I want to give her the benefit of the doubt for sure but time will tell and as I said several times now I'm very willing to change my mind.

• Like 1