2018 Uniforms!

3 hours ago, BRASSO said:

I loved just about everything about SCV last night, and was pleased they finally broke that BD win streak over them out there on the West Coast. I " get" that modern day DCI wants to go with " theme inspired " attire now. On the other hand, I fail to see how SCV 's show last nite would have been diminished in any way had they simply gone out in performance last nite with their classy and iconic attire and Aussies headgear. Do I think the SCV show was enhanced in any manner with the attire they did choose to wear last night ? No. Did the attire add anything to the theme ? If it did, i failed to see where it did. Did the attire look rich in quality, color, texture ? Sorry to say.. No. Was the attire an advancement over previously worn attire by SCV ? Only if we consider perhaps the better ability of the performer to perform in performance. But did the attire become an improvement in visual appeal to audiences ? Thats hard to say, as that becomes a matter of personal taste, I suppose. But for me, the SCV chosen attire for this season is a step down in attire both in attractiveness, in advancing the show theme in any substantive manner ( the main reason we've been told SCV has gone to "theme specific attire " ), and in use of color in the attire choice. The pants/ leggings looked rather substandard in quality for the lower torso  in material utilized too, imo. All this said, despite my criticism of the attire choice here, I enjoyed just about everything else last night regarding the SCV performance. They deserved their fine win with an outstanding performance for the 1st week of the 2018 season, and I really enjoy their 2018 show as well.

There is absolutely no way scv could perform that show with their old uniforms. Their horn has clearly been taking dance lessons and perhaps moved in more “non marching” ways than anyone we have seen before and not only would they not be able to move like that in their old uniforms but it would have also looked silly! 

Edited by DCI-86
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, BRASSO said:

I loved just about everything about SCV last night, and was pleased they finally broke that BD win streak over them out there on the West Coast. I " get" that modern day DCI wants to go with " theme inspired " attire now. On the other hand, I fail to see how SCV 's show last nite would have been diminished in any way had they simply gone out in performance last nite with their classy and iconic attire and Aussies headgear. Do I think the SCV show was enhanced in any manner with the attire they did choose to wear last night ? No. Did the attire add anything to the theme ? If it did, i failed to see where it did. Did the attire look rich in quality, color, texture ? Sorry to say.. No. Was the attire an advancement over previously worn attire by SCV ? Only if we consider perhaps the better ability of the performer to perform in performance. But did the attire become an improvement in visual appeal to audiences ? Thats hard to say, as that becomes a matter of personal taste, I suppose. But for me, the SCV chosen attire for this season is a step down in attire both in attractiveness, in advancing the show theme in any substantive manner ( the main reason we've been told SCV has gone to "theme specific attire " ), and in use of color in the attire choice. The pants/ leggings looked rather substandard in quality for the lower torso  in material utilized too, imo. All this said, despite my criticism of the attire choice here, I enjoyed just about everything else last night regarding the SCV performance. They deserved their fine win with an outstanding performance for the 1st week of the 2018 season, and I really enjoy their 2018 show as well.

Were you AT Stanford? I think the uniforms were an absolutely brilliant choice for their theme. Seeing them live really makes a difference, I think. I absolutely think old style uniforms would have greatly diminished this show. It is very modern, unique, and unlike anything they've done before or anyone else has done. This design team is full of geniuses. They looked so sharp from the stands, and every second of the show was compelling - musically and visually. I would have absolutely felt less thrilled by it were they in their 2016 uniforms. This is the new DCI. In my opinion - traditional uniforms are just not conducive to the body movements and visuals that corps are doing today. I always felt body movements in traditional uniforms looked ridiculous. Vanguard's would have in the old-style uniforms. In these uniforms, they are freaking cool and interesting.

Edited by queenanne_1536
  • Like 3

I’m guessing they preferred that they appeared more *male*. Now they truly are androgymous and that’s a problem. 

Why?

Edited by drummer5485

19 minutes ago, DCI-86 said:

There is absolutely no way scv could perform that show with their old uniforms. Their horn has clearly been taking dance lessons and perhaps moved in more “non marching” ways than anyone we have seen before  

Well, I suppose thats a matter of opinion if these dance steps could not be done in their previous worn attire. I've seen Cavaliers ( for just one example ) utilize their traditional attire while performing sophisticated body movement dance steps... heck even SCV before, in them too.

The notion that SCV would have " looked silly " had they done this show in their unis and shakos they've had for decades is a matter of opinion and personal taste  as well here. There are lots of attire out there worn  this season among the Corps that one could call both creative and brilliant, as well as " silly ". Whether the attire is more traditional in construct ( such as BD's 1st half use of the traditional shako and plume in their show ) or more modern in construct, is either " brilliant " or " silly " really is in the eye of the beholder. As such, you are entitled of course to your opinion that a more traditional attire and headgear for SCV would have looked " silly " this season in them..

Edited by BRASSO

13 hours ago, NakedEye said:

BD,Bloo,Crossmen all home runs.

Crossmen have their best look in DECADES.

Madison - oh dear. Too much ventricle for my taste.

And a few more....

Cadets are ok, though I think there is too much chocolate sauce on the pants.

Crown: I originally liked it, and I still think the colors work well and appreciate the detailing, but after seeing them in motion a few times now, I’m not so sure. All the drapey/gauzy stuff on the sleeves and pelvis makes me think of a roach in an evening gown. Might be a bit cleaner if they axed the sleeves?

Mandarins: AMAZING. It’s bold. It’s creepy. It has an Asian feel and the logo slashes being formed by open zippers is genius-level thinking. The hats are fantastic and its nice to see them bring back a bit of the fuchsia color that was their trademark for decades. The dark press photos didn’t show that everyone has the full-length skirt/drape in the back. Such a cool effect for the show.

SCV: I’m not sure about this one yet. I can’t decide if it looks like a fencing outfit or some baggy sweats they threw on to go to the laundromat. The MC Hammer/diaper butt pants seem to have been used by some indoor drum lines lately and I’m unclear on the thinking with them? Is it to provide a form-fitting leg while not being too revealing in certain other areas? My impression is it makes everyone look short, as the crotch is basically lowered to mid-thigh. Need more viewings to form a clear opinion.

3 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

Well, I suppose thats a matter of opinion if these dance steps could not be done in their previous worn attire. I've seen Cavaliers ( for just one example ) utilize their traditional attire while performing sophisticated body movement dance steps... heck even SCV before, in them too.

The notion that SCV would have " looked silly " had they done this show in their unis and shakos they've had for decades is a matter of opinion and personal taste  as well here. There are lots of attire out there worn  this season among the Corps that one could call both creative and brilliant, as well as " silly ". Whether the attire is more traditional in construct ( such as BD's 1st half use of the traditional shako and plume in their show ) or more modern in construct, is either " brilliant " or " silly " really is in the eye of the beholder. As such, you are entitled of course to your opinion that a more traditional attire and headgear for SCV would have looked " silly " this season in them..

Perhaps you are right that it's subject to opinion. But, the only opinion that really matters is that of the judges. I am in complete agreement that these uniforms greatly enhanced the body movements. They are taking that to a new level and I just don't believe it would have worked with traditional uniforms.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, queenanne_1536 said:

Perhaps you are right that it's subject to opinion. But, the only opinion that really matters is that of the judges. 

Well Yes and No. The judges domain is in scoring and in placements. They are free to go there and do so in an unfettered fashion apart from us fans. Since its in their domain, I don't try and go there on these things... well not anymore anyway.. lol. And as for what I like, or don't like, thats really in my domain. Your opinion on Drum Corps matters to me, or I would not be responding to what you have posted. The judges are not a party to our conversation, and the score sheets do not include us fans, which is fine. I don't include them in our conversation and in our mutual opinions on what we see and hear either. To that extent then, they " don't matter " in our mutual opinions on what we think either.

Edited by BRASSO

1 minute ago, BRASSO said:

Well Yes and No. The judges domain is in scoring and in placements. They are free to go there and do so in an unfettered fashion apart from us fans. Since its in their domain, I don't try and go there on these things... well not anymore anyway.. lol. And as for what I like, or don't like, thats really in my domain. Your opinion on Drum Corps matters to me, or I would not be responding to what you have posted. The judges are not a party to our conversation, and the score sheets do not include us, which is fine. I don't include them in our conversation and in our mutual opinions on what we see and hear either. To that extent then, they " don't matter " in our mutual opinions on what we think either.

Ok, I never meant to allude that your opinion does not matter to me. That couldn't be further from the truth. If that is what you thought I was saying than I truly apologize. In fact, when I see your name down the left when I'm scrolling, I read your posts. Always. Your opinion matters to me. What I was getting at is it is a competitive activity and in my opinion traditional uniforms will only have a negative impact from a judging perspective. The 2016 Bluecoats changed the way the activity thinks about uniforms for the drums and brass. Now, nearly every corps is going down that road and I don't think we will be going back. I'll admit when I was watching Vanguard on periscope Friday my first thought seeing the uniforms was WTF? Live I couldn't imagine any other uniforms. It just all works so well together.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, queenanne_1536 said:

Ok, I never meant to allude that your opinion does not matter to me. That couldn't be further from the truth. If that is what you thought I was saying than I truly apologize. In fact, when I see your name down the left when I'm scrolling, I read your posts. Always. Your opinion matters to me. What I was getting at is it is a competitive activity and in my opinion traditional uniforms will only have a negative impact from a judging perspective. The 2016 Bluecoats changed the way the activity thinks about uniforms for the drums and brass. Now, nearly every corps is going down that road and I don't think we will be going back. I'll admit when I was watching Vanguard on periscope Friday my first thought seeing the uniforms was WTF? Live I couldn't imagine any other uniforms. It just all works so well together.

Many people believed in the past that there was no number for what a corps wore. I argued the point that IF it is on the field it is judged ( and it is ) is it a negative to have something of the past ? maybe no,( nor should it ) does it add to a show if something new works better for the production ( physically as well as visually)? you bet it does.

• Like 1

Drum Corps  evokes feelings and images for me, but...New York Cheesecake with Raspberry Coulis and Dark Chocolate Ganache...is a first. I hope Madison doesn't make me nauseous... 

• Haha 1