2018 Uniforms!

6 minutes ago, dcibrando said:

corps used to look mean... recognizable... standing together you knew who they were... they respected the uniform...they were the uniform... it was their identity... who they represent... people would buy tshirts that even looked like the uniforms or had the uniform on them in some cases... the hat, the plumes, everything was the corps identity....  now it is a mess (in my opinion) - it is just not the same.  You can change uniforms every year to fit your show theme sure... but while they believe to be adding something, in my opinion... they are losing a lot more or who they are and represent - the past, the present, and the future... not just the season 

There are corps like Cadets who have an iconic uniform ( loved by many including me ) BUT there was a time Holy Name lost that uniform, Were they any less Holy Name or the Cadets? NO, quite the opposite. The Cavaliers uniform of past years was not the uniform decades ago. They had satin shirts and shakos. I can go on, although you are right to a point, who and what a corps is, is not defined by fabric in my opinion. Retreat might be a better place to display the past ( Like Cavaliers)

Edited by GUARDLING

5 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

There are corps like Cadets who have an iconic uniform ( loved by many including me ) BUT there was a time Holy Name lost that uniform, Were they any less Holy Name or the Cadets? NO, quite the opposite. The Cavaliers uniform of past years was not the uniform decades ago. They had satin shirts and shakos. I can go on, although you are right to a point, who and what a corps is, is not defined by fabric in my opinion. Retreat might be a better place to display the past ( Like Cavaliers)

that is true and I get what you are saying... but when corps come onto the field and you have to ask "wait... who is this" its just not the same in my opinion

also, I prefer less spandex... it takes some the mean look out of it - in more places than I prefer to see honestly

4 minutes ago, dcibrando said:

that is true and I get what you are saying... but when corps come onto the field and you have to ask "wait... who is this" its just not the same in my opinion

also, I prefer less spandex... it takes some the mean look out of it - in more places than I prefer to see honestly

I get ya, but you can look at it 2 ways. It can be exciting to wonder who they are, what they are doing. The Mean thing  I think was just fake testosterone .. How mean can you look if you think about it with shiny buttons and feathers on your head..lol

Just another way to look at it I guess, especially it's not going to change. Not the same doesn't have to be bad I think. Doesn't mean better either just different

Edited by GUARDLING

Just now, GUARDLING said:

How mean can you look if you think about it with shiny buttons and feathers on your head..lol

probably moreso than wearing spandex? haha  just my opinion... I know it's not going to change but it's sad when we'll never see the cadets, or cavies, or phantom, or scv in their more recognizable uniform styles

4 minutes ago, dcibrando said:

thinkprobably moreso than wearing spandex? haha  just my opinion... I know it's not going to change but it's sad when we'll never see the cadets, or cavies, or phantom, or scv in their more recognizable uniform styles

Never say never, the fabric of the uniform, although not flattering on all, not that traditional ones were, work much better for movement and not just theme. I get ya with recognizable but all I can say is don't let it cloud your potential experience. JMO

I think you may see corps like Cadets and a few others flip-flopping from time to time, when it works for them

Edited by GUARDLING

25 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

Never say never, the fabric of the uniform, although not flattering on all, not that traditional ones were, work much better for movement and not just theme. I get ya with recognizable but all I can say is don't let it cloud your potential experience. JMO

I think you may see corps like Cadets and a few others flip-flopping from time to time, when it works for them

these modern productions need modern performance-wear - and frankly this generation of mm grew up wearing under-armour and not heavy cotton (or god-forbid WOOL)

I do really hope Cadets go to a 2 uniform platform - the traditional M&G that is used for finals retreat, parades, concert settings etc (aka Olympic Opening Ceremony) and then a performance version. The extra expense would be minimal as the traditional set would last for multiple seasons (6-10?) since it will only be used a couple times per year. Fittings would be doubled but otherwise (IMO) this is a no-brainer for a Cadets organization with an iconic uniform and history. 

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

Tthese modern productions need modern performance-wear - and frankly this generation of mm grew up wearing under-armour and not heavy cotton (or god-forbid WOOL)

I do really hope Cadets go to a 2 uniform platform - the traditional M&G that is used for finals retreat, parades, concert settings etc (aka Olympic Opening Ceremony) and then a performance version. The extra expense would be minimal as the traditional set would last for multiple seasons (6-10?) since it will only be used a couple times per year. Fittings would be doubled but otherwise (IMO) this is a no-brainer for a Cadets organization with an iconic uniform and history. 

you have proposed it for awhile. Perhaps this admin. will eventually have the time to consider this common sense suggestion.

To their credit, Cavaliers have had performance outfits whose sleeves detached and were substituted with new sleeves in Cavalier green for the occasions you cite. Plus they wear their Aussies. All around win.

Edited by xandandl
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, dcibrando said:

1 hour ago, GUARDLING said:

I get ya, but you can look at it 2 ways. It can be exciting to wonder who they are, what they are doing. The Mean thing  I think was just fake testosterone .. How mean can you look if you think about it with shiny buttons and feathers on your head..lol

Just another way to look at it I guess, especially it's not going to change. Not the same doesn't have to be bad I think. Doesn't mean better either just different

22 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

these modern productions need modern performance-wear - and frankly this generation of mm grew up wearing under-armour and not heavy cotton (or god-forbid WOOL)

Quotes selected to be representative and not specific to their content...with all of the effort / thought / etc put into the design of the shows (both visually and musically), wouldn't you think there would be some happy middle ground where the overarching "theme" of a given corps' uniform "identity" could be incorporated into today's performance-driven uniform designs w/o entirely abandoning the visual "identity"?  I mean, you don't even need to stick to the traditional colors if they don't fit the show theme (I personally like it better when they are, but I digress), but one would have to think there is SOME way to have a corps be recognizable and still meet the theme and performance demands...just a thought...

Funny to hear people complain about truly androgynous uniforms. These people are the ones who seem to be focusing on people's "bulges" and having issues with men wearing things that are not traditionally considered "manly." Yet they had no issues with women wearing things that weren't considered "womanly."  Makes you wonder why they're focusing so hard on young men's bulges. Kinda disturbing. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, gak27 said:

Quotes selected to be representative and not specific to their content...with all of the effort / thought / etc put into the design of the shows (both visually and musically), wouldn't you think there would be some happy middle ground where the overarching "theme" of a given corps' uniform "identity" could be incorporated into today's performance-driven uniform designs w/o entirely abandoning the visual "identity"?  I mean, you don't even need to stick to the traditional colors if they don't fit the show theme (I personally like it better when they are, but I digress), but one would have to think there is SOME way to have a corps be recognizable and still meet the theme and performance demands...just a thought...

Well, I think Cadets have to some degree, BD has. Question is WHY, Could it be done? maybe, actually probably but one should have the choice to do so but why does one have to? I guess the answer will never be 100% which just leaves those in charge to do what they think is best at the time