Lisle, IL - June 30, 2018

45 minutes ago, corps8294 said:

Blue Stars flag work is a hot mess. Shapiro writes crazy guarrd work with a lot of "stuff n' fluff;" but he absolutely refuses to edit, refine, and streamline which hinders cleaning, cohesion, and clutter. 

And Blue Stars attracts members to their guard because they are going to spin an insane book not because they are going to win or be the cleanest but because they are going to have fun and learn a lot. By seasons end the guard will be strong and as per usual, one of their strongest captions. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Slingerland said:

The sound mix for Cavaliers last night was embarrassingly bad. Like a 4 year old standing in front of a stereo and playing with the knobs. They finally have a hornline worth listening to - why the ___ would they want to mask them behind high school-level sound effects is beyond me.

Since the show Is about the artistic process, in part, they should embrace that good artists know that sometimes the best choice is not to add something to the work.

Agreed. I’m usually supportive of the use of sound effects and voice overs but listening to last night it was like the weird whispers were thrown over everything. Hopefully the staff realizes what a fail it was. On the recording I couldn’t even hear the drum line or brass in some spots they were so ineffective. Hopefully it was an experiment gone wrong, it does seem like the GE music judge really dinged them for it compared to other nights.

26 minutes ago, DCI-86 said:

And Blue Stars attracts members to their guard because they are going to spin an insane book not because they are going to win or be the cleanest but because they are going to have fun and learn a lot. By seasons end the guard will be strong and as per usual, one of their strongest captions. 

In other words, they are more of a stepping stone, training for the upper tier, guard than a destination. 

39 minutes ago, DCI-86 said:

I agree. Were I marching today, I'd want to march SCV,  but Blue Stars would be attractive because of the insanity. It sure would be fun to do something so demanding.

1 hour ago, corps8294 said:

In other words, they are more of a stepping stone, training for the upper tier, guard than a destination. 

Please don't put words in my mouth - that is definitely not what I am implying, members march BS guard because of the challenge - which few others guards will offer them, regardless of placement!

Michael Shapiro has a unique approach and philosophy, and that attracts AND retains members.

Edited by DCI-86

Blue stars guard: 72 in content, 62 in achievement. 

That's a hard book, they are definitely not a stepping stone when it comes to guard, they're the real deal.