Three New Indoor Venues This Month. Any input on how the sight & sound will be?

5 minutes ago, BlueStarsDad said:

Grant Field is still there ... but the logistics at that field are horrible.  I was a student the summer when world championships was held there in the 80's and it was a MESS.  There is no close in bus parking, no area for warm ups, etc.  And the field is now grass ... which is a another strike against it.

I remember walking back to the buses in 78 when it was a just a regular show there.  It felt like miles and we had to walk past the frat houses and the summer students were saying stuff to us.  lol

1 minute ago, Terri Schehr said:

I remember walking back to the buses in 78 when it was a just a regular show there.  It felt like miles and we had to walk past the frat houses and the summer students were saying stuff to us.  lol

In 84, the Cavaliers drum line was warming up outside our dorm and one of the students (understand - Georgia Tech is known for its "nerds") opens his window and says (do your best Revenge of the Nerds voice) "will you please stop that incessant noise" ... which did not get the response he had hoped for.  A few minutes later, my roommate opened the window and yelled, "Shut the f*&% up" ... that got a little more response from the drum line

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Bluzes said:

TCF Bank Stadium, The Dome at America's Center, & Mercedes-Benz Stadium. Will any of them match the acoustics of The Alamodome? I think the higher seating area along the back of the Alamodome does wonders for the sound.

Glad the old dome in Atlanta is gone. The red seats coming down that low to the field played havoic on my video rendering at home.

Also being there live or watching on FLO can make a particular venue can sound better or worse and can flip flop sounds better on FLO than live in some cases and the opposite for other venues although you can't really reproduce the sight & sound of being there..

I will not go to any shows that are in a dome...PERIOD.

• Like 1

Is there a decent stadium in Georgia between Macon and Kennesaw?  Would Athens (UGA) be an option?  

Lots of music enthusiasts from the Athens area how far away is it from Atlanta?

Suggest we develop a scale to rate venues.

Some stadium is considered ideal (I nominate Ames Field in Michigan City IN)  - so it gets the score of 100 Ames units

So, perhaps the Oil Can gets a rating of 94 Ames units (when weather is not a factor, outside Drum Corps is always better than inside a room (a big room, but still a room))

Edited by IllianaLancerContra
parenthetical grammar
  • Like 1

Yep thanks for last nights determination and photos, then Cadets or someone streamed their encore.

1 hour ago, BlueStarsDad said:

In 84, the Cavaliers drum line was warming up outside our dorm and one of the students (understand - Georgia Tech is known for its "nerds") opens his window and says (do your best Revenge of the Nerds voice) "will you please stop that incessant noise" ... which did not get the response he had hoped for.  A few minutes later, my roommate opened the window and yelled, "Shut the f*&% up" ... that got a little more response from the drum line

Wow... I was a student there that summer... found a date for the show, called in sick to my waiter’s job at the Ritz Carlton, and was in heaven. My poor nerd brethren didn’t know what they were missing! 

4 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Suggest we develop a scale to rate venues.

Some stadium is considered ideal (I nominate Ames Field in Michigan City IN)  - so it gets the score of 100 Ames units

So, perhaps the Oil Can gets a rating of 94 Ames units (when weather is not a factor, outside Drum Corps is always better than inside a room (a big room, but still a room))

This came up in a thread a year or two ago. Basically, money is no object, design the perfect marching arts venue.

• Artificial turf, or very low cut natural grass.
  • Covered, but not enclosed.
  • No track, but just enough room for pit equipment and other off-field stuff.
  • Flush loading at field level for the corps (easy ingress and egress on opposite sides).
  • Sound proof warm-up/tuning building immediately adjacent to ingress area.
  • First row of seats somewhat elevated above ground level, and then somewhat steeply pitched from there.
  • Dedicated staff viewing area, not among the paying customers (perhaps an orchestra-pit like area between field level and first row of stands).
  • Cantilevered second deck, with a dedicated judging/media center.
  • etc., etc.

The unit of measure should be an Ott (Ott), or Torchia (Tor), or some other drum corps related name.