DCI Southwestern Regional - July 21, 2018

2 hours ago, Jim Schehr said:

I strongly disagree with that statement. SCV yes - BD seriously doubt it. 

I've been a fool doubting BD way too many times in the past. I'm not making that mistake again, although I would love to see Crown in 2nd and Bloo in 3rd.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MikeRapp said:

If you are fourth in percussion but by just half a point, it’s not relevant when you are owning GE. Last week it was, oh they might be eighth in percussion. Top four in percussion, with that show, could easily win Gold.

Yes, but not if your guard is also 4th. That's what I was saying. Good improvement for Bloo in percussion, but they were still 4th in Music last night. That is not good any way you slice it.

Edited by queenanne_1536
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, WaxDCIFan said:

Apparently drum corps people REALLY like hotel waffles.

Also the sight, sound & smell of old & new busses. Not inside a dci tour bus though, swear I would never experience that again. We just love the sight of a corps pulling up or passing one on the highway, exhilarating. Drum Corps will never get credit for being the first idiom to combine sight & sound into an art form, sad. It's just the past few decades that other idiom's caught on. Seen Bruce Springsteen many times in the seventies pull up with the East Street Band in a tour bus pulling a U-Haul, wella a great show. Recently we attended the recreation of his album "The River" that flowed out a single  U-Haul then. That now takes several buses/ RVs 17 tractor trailers and days to set up. It's not walls of speakers inside the trucks it's all for the visual.

44 minutes ago, queenanne_1536 said:

I've been a fool doubting BD way too many times in the past. I'm not making that mistake again, although I would love to see Crown in 2nd and Bloo in 3rd.

If it was about what I would like to see, I would love to see Blooo, SCV and BAC. But it’s obviously not about what I like. 

BD and Crown reputations are holding both up, but neither production are or is one of their top five best productions. I find it shockingly predictable where they continue to place considering the parity there is in talent in the top six. 

Edited by Jim Schehr

2 minutes ago, Jim Schehr said:

If it was about what I would like to see, I would love to see Blooo, SCV and BAC. But it’s obviously not about what I like. 

Checking with Madison to see if I can have my hearts delight but I would also like to see that!

20 minutes ago, Jim Schehr said:

BD and Crown reputations are holding both up, but neither production are or is one of their top five best productions. I find it shockingly predictable where they continue to place considering the parity there is in talent in the top six. 

In modern DCI, the difference at the top has always been attributed to the design teams rather than talent. Your favorite corps Boston is a prime example of this 

19 minutes ago, Jim Schehr said:

Or....BD and Crown might be performing superior shows at a higher level than those scoring below them.  

Conspiracy theory about "reputation" or trusting the evaluations even when they don't meet our expectations.

Hmm....let me think about that one.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, karuna said:

Or....BD and Crown might be performing superior shows at a higher level than those scoring below them.  

Conspiracy theory about "reputation" or trusting the evaluations even when they don't meet our expectations.

Hmm....let me think about that one.

Resorting to conspiracy theories about judges when your favorite shows aren’t doing as well as you want them to is the DCP way

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, queenanne_1536 said:

I would agree with this, but by the time finals approaches I think BD will be the only corps giving them fierce competition. If Bluecoats get 4th or lower in percussion and guard during the final week, that will take them out of contention for top 2 right there. I doubt both BD and SCV will finish lower than 3rd in a single subcaption come championships.

I think 99 is a stretch for anyone and I believe the judges learned a numbers management lesson in 2014.

The numbers management problem has its roots in 1984.  In 1983, the last year of ticks, Garfield Cadets won with a 94; in 1984, with no ticks, they scored a 98.

I am NOT suggesting we bring back ticks, but, if the judges in 1984 would have kept the build-up execution scores on par with the tick execution scores of the previous year there would be a lot more head-room to work with.

in 1984, the 'no tick score inflation', which raged nation-wide started early in the season.  But the can of worms was opened.  It's not like you could cut everyone's execution scores back 4 points in the middle of August.