Why is Drum Corps the most predictable activity in all of sports?

Because the corps do the same show over and over again.

5 hours ago, Box5Opinion said:

I agree, the Blue Devils are having an amazing run, they have the most consistent and cohesive staff (some have been there for 30 plus years) and with that, they can be consistent in developing and execution of many amazing shows. 

Before every season begins they almost always have the most experienced marching members, who come to the organization with clear expectations of what they are going to do and be required to do. Crown, Bluecoats and perhaps Boston have similar advantages, their kids are locked and loaded on Day 1 of spring training.

Cadets for years just “reloaded”with college kids who had already learned all the skills from other corps. That’s a big reason why these corps can do what these corps do year after year.

The result are shows that are as challenging and innovative as one could design, and when they perform their first show, they are already doing a quality of show and level of performance that most of the corps couldn’t execute if they had another two months of spring training. With the exception of the top six, you could take most any other DCI show and Bd would likely perform it 10 points better than the corps that is performing it. Likewise, if a lower level corps had to do the Bluecoats or BD shows, they would be running into each other, be phasing all over the field, and have massive tears.

It most certainly is a self fulfilling prophecy. And of course all DCI judges know this, so scores reflect these realities from Show 1.

Finally, given how scoring is done, and you have seven weeks of shows, it is now functionally impossible to start the season at 10 and finish at 2 or 3. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Bluzes said:

Thanks but I didn't come here to be psycho analyzed. My question is why does the power of a napkin drawing (sketch at a restaurant) in October trump countless hours of practice, sweat, hard work when the outcome has been decided first time out of the box. Why aren't there any parallels to other sports or art forms. OK drum corps is not a sport today but will be tomorrow in other discussions Take 15 new paintings shuffle in different art critics what would the level of agreement be or 15 new music albums, movies  point to any other subjective activity that demonstrates such a hive mentality.

Instead of attacking me which is welcomed and part of the fun of posting things these days (troll alert). Explain what is it about a top show that towers it over the rest? Is one saying as fans being a boning intellectual is OK but don't drink the Kool Aid from over there. This reasoning comes from the same group of individuals that in the heat last week made some corps put more clothes on but kept the props which a huge dehydration factor in & of itself? If one think's that was a rational decision then I guess we deserve the rest of the reasoning.

I am sitting here clicking my heels saying three times "I believe in the power of the napkin" I think it's working. Thanks

You ( or  autocorrect) made  psychoanalysis 2 words ... made me a little nervous!

On 7/24/2018 at 9:45 AM, kkrepps said:

I disagree with that part. Griping is part of the satisfaction and enjoyment one gets from competitive activities. Without that, something is missing.

Yep otherwise it’s enjoy it or shut up and leave... which is said way too other here over the years 

15 hours ago, MikeRapp said:

Finally, I will close with what two Time college basketball coach of the year Eddie Fogler once said when asked if officials cheat:

”Every official knows who is supposed to win.”

DCI is not pro sports, or even college sports. It is not a level playing field, and likely never will be. I don’t care for it, but I also don’t have a solution.

This is so true and it can get pretty disheartening after a while, especially when you're marching with or teaching one of those corps on the bubble of moving from one competitive sandbox up to another. 

4 hours ago, MikeRapp said:

Before every season begins they almost always have the most experienced marching members, who come to the organization with clear expectations of what they are going to do and be required to do. Crown, Bluecoats and perhaps Boston have similar advantages, their kids are locked and loaded on Day 1 of spring training.

Cadets for years just “reloaded”with college kids who had already learned all the skills from other corps. That’s a big reason why these corps can do what these corps do year after year.

The result are shows that are as challenging and innovative as one could design, and when they perform their first show, they are already doing a quality of show and level of performance that most of the corps couldn’t execute if they had another two months of spring training. With the exception of the top six, you could take most any other DCI show and Bd would likely perform it 10 points better than the corps that is performing it. Likewise, if a lower level corps had to do the Bluecoats or BD shows, they would be running into each other, be phasing all over the field, and have massive tears.

It most certainly is a self fulfilling prophecy. And of course all DCI judges know this, so scores reflect these realities from Show 1.

Finally, given how scoring is done, and you have seven weeks of shows, it is now functionally impossible to start the season at 10 and finish at 2 or 3. 

Agree with everything about this! Right now, it seems, let me quote Scott Chandler, "the Blue Devils have an it factor and are able to pull kids from all over the country". I would put Crown and the Bluecoats in the same category!  

9 hours ago, whitedj2002 said:

You ( or  autocorrect) made  psychoanalysis 2 words ... made me a little nervous!

It was me sorry. Boy do I love the new spell check even corrects grammar, what a god send. Fake News though I did not pay attention in grammar school at all. Didn't learn a thing!!

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

the post wasnt specifically aimed at you, you can relax

Thanks I suspected that just having fun in my weird way. Your posts are most insightful