Why is Drum Corps the most predictable activity in all of sports?

4 minutes ago, Bluzes said:

Thank you for trying to strengthen my knowledge. Although life has thrown a few curves we have been to most dci finals and to a lesser extent DCA, Legion & VFW nationals. Was just thinking this morning back in the day I would not have been surprised that the VFW convention was in KC. Now all I get is traffic jams because of the prez attending..

Condescending lectures are what I'm best at. Glad I could help.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, queenanne_1536 said:

Whom do you think was unfairly placed?

It's not about that look at my favorite corps in my bio. It is about that there is little left to decide (already) and the 2an place corps all the way down to 44th is putting in the same effort and paid about the same for the experience. I have such respect for the MM that I think they all deserve a better shot at grabbing the brass ring even if it's just moving within their grouping. What are the groups of three all about if one can predict remotely only viewing about 33% action on a big screen and get the top 16 correct? It's not just about who wins but all corps getting a fair chance to improve their ranking.

2 minutes ago, Lance said:

this topic needs more salt. 

Don't you mean sand? It seems some pull their heads out of it to kill the messenger and then return. 

2 minutes ago, Bluzes said:

It's not about that look at my favorite corps in my bio. It is about that there is little left to decide (already) and the 2an place corps all the way down to 44th is putting in the same effort and paid about the same for the experience. I have such respect for the MM that I think they all deserve a better shot at grabbing the brass ring even if it's just moving within their grouping. What are the groups of three all about if one can predict remotely only viewing about 33% action on a big screen and get the top 16 correct? It's not just about who wins but all corps getting a fair chance to improve their ranking.

I think there is a fair chance to move up. Look at Boston. Look at Mandarins. Look at Spirit. I think it is very hard to move up. I agree that little will change between here and finals, but I don't know that I would disagree with the outcome if nothing changed. Back in the day, when corps like BD, Cadets or Vanguard were "off" a season, someone would sneak in and knock one or more of them out of the top 3. It's just so hard these days, especially when the top corps are stacked and have no weaknesses realitive to each other. They are all executing so well, so design is the difference.

"Why is drum corps scoring so predictable"?

Because the scoring mostly looks at things that do not change from night to night. The repertoire is 50% of the score on paper, but it's more than that in practice because it's a soft cap on the performance number (you will never see a DCI recap with something like repertoire 7.6 performance 9.1). There are other things that impact the score that also do not change: the age and experience of the players in your line, the experience and reputation of the staff that teaches them, the characteristic techniques that your group uses.

You get the idea.

If you mostly judge the stuff that doesn't change, then scores will go up over time but placements will mostly stay the same.

To see the opposite extreme, prior to 1984 DCI mostly judged individual performer errors, or "ticks". This changed a lot from night to night, or depending on which parts of the corps the judge sampled. Scores and placements, as you'd expect, were much more volatile in those days.

Neither way is "right". The DCI member corps collectively choose how they want to be adjudicated, and they seem pretty happy with the status quo.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, queenanne_1536 said:

They are all executing so well, so design is the difference.

Thanks maybe that is correct. From what I have seen from BD in SA on Saturday made me wonder whats left for them to do? Agree on little difference in the talent level of the MM's.  I just hate knowing the results from top to bottom all the time but still love being entertained and appreciate the expansion of my art and musical boundaries each year. I will always be a happy camper but sometimes need to be reminded why. 

Those who were following DCI in 2008 saw a rapidly closing Phantom Regiment from mid July to August. Once the Corps got to Championships, and saw how improved Phantom Regiment was in the Quarters, it become clear to many they had a legitimate shot at winning it all. Well, Drum Corps fans who have no dog in the hunt, are like most sports fans that have no dog in the hunt with the teams. They pull for the underdog. Phantom was great in the Semi's, and then just knocked it out of the park with their performance on Finals Night. Coupled with the fact that most audiences loved their show that season, the Finals audience in 08 waited breathlessly for the scores to be announced to see if there would be an upset by the underdog that many were hoping for. When it was announced that the Blue Devils were in 2nd, the stadium erupted in spontaneous and loud approval. We can still see the Finals audience reaction to the Finals scores on youtube. Its moments like this that we cherish so much in Drum Corps as they tend to be less frequent occurances than in many sports.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Bluzes said:

No mystery, intrigue, suspense or surprises, my biggest down side come finals week. Why can any NFL team beat any other team on any given night.  

NFL games have an element of chaos that not only makes them more exciting but also makes the outcome less predictable. A better comparison might  e to Major League Baseball.  Think about how the Yankees streak of World Series victories made the outcome seem predictable.  That didn't make those World Series match-ups any less exciting.  

Edited by bluesman
Quote mistake