Why is Drum Corps the most predictable activity in all of sports?

No mystery, intrigue, suspense or surprises, my biggest down side come finals week. Why can any NFL team beat any other team on any given night. Why can't this predictably extend to paramutual betting so I can get rich? Inquiring minds want to know?

Please don't insult one's common sense by pointing to the judges having more Gigabytes of brain power than most including ump's, ref's, Olympic judges and what nots? The peer level agreement is off the charts beyond any boardroom agreement level. Multibilion dollars are invested with 55% - 60% agreement, dci is in the over 95%, why? I am going to love it when SCV wins this year, it's not about them. It's about going to the World Series or Superbowl and knowing the outcome going in. Wish I could brain shred any knowlege of the season going into finals week. I really can't believe the staff or talent level of any given corps is consistanty far superior every night?

Was able to in front of the wife & friends the other night get the entire top 16 correct, there's no way I should have been able to do that. Wife knew I am not that smart but the friends, funny.

Edited by Bluzes

As long as the design of the show is considered in the score, we'll never have volatile scores from one night to another.

• Like 9

Imagine how things would change if DCI went to a bracketing system similar to the NFL?!  At some point, a top corps would get knocked out and have to head to repecharge.  I just had way too much fun creating one but could attach it via pc.

6 minutes ago, skevinp said:

I won't disagree because it looks like you could really use a "W"  

Fixed but thanks for watching over me, got it all wrong it was too much W (whiskey)

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, wilme861 said:

As long as the design of the show is considered in the score, we'll never have volatile scores from one night to another.

OK, I know nothing about show design. The closest I came was shaking GZ's hand one night in Denver commenting how well the Blue Knights were doing. Having design as the differentiator is saying that one show has a superior abstract advantage over their grouping, that the entire adjudication staff agrees on this one point. Why can't the average fan see this. Is pushing empty cages around the cats meow? Sell me on the MMs ability to consistently sell their show or their musical charts are through the roof but everyone all agreeing on an abstract advantage that is always present and always around at every show. I don't buy it.

• Like 1

Figure skating, gymnastics, ballroom dancing, cheer, routine skiing and snowboarding...

They all depend on a program comprising a bulk of the competitor's score.  Assuming that the planned program is achieved, we essentially always know the outcomes of these events as well.

If you are bored of it... Then you are watching too much or you need a diversion.

It's not a bad thing to see a couple of shows a year (maybe only one), NOT subscribe to Flow, avoid YouTube videos and forum discussions on the subject and stay away from winter 'marching' activities altogether.

On the other hand...

It's not bad to do all of those things to the absolute 'max'... if you so desire.  But I see little sense in griping about the effects of a diet of exposure that one chooses for oneself.

This sentiment essentially sums up my feelings on every comment concerning the lament of similarities between marching idioms.

You only notice the recycling of movie plots when you are watching way too many movies.

If you took a person from just a few years ago and had them rank the corps by what they 'know' about them... they would be WAY off.  At least this is better than the 90's where we ALMOST always knew that the top 4 would be Devils, Cadets, SCV, and Cavaliers... and the top 2 would nearly always be Cadets and Devils.

Things do change.  And in slightly larger increments of time, they are surprising and unpredictable... but not night to night... Not in a program based activity like this.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1