Babylon

6 hours ago, ccklinefelter said:

Here's a big question: do you mean legendary in the context of highly-loved, or game-changing?

Personally it seems like we have one TRULY game-changing show once every 13 years or so, starting with SCV '89, then Cavies '02, then Bloo '16. These shows really changed the course of the sport. (Also not to dis Star '93, that would definitely be an honorable mention on this list)

Then there's highly-loved, like E=mc^2 or Spartacus. Fantastic show, but it didn't really change DCI forever. This is where I think Babylon will fall.

Good question... either really.

..also I think Cavies 02 was an extension of and more of a work towards perfection of the formula they were already using in 00 and 01 for sure.  

I was being exclusionary with only including title winning shows from the last 10 years but there is probably substantial argument that Cadets 07 was as much of a game changer as Bloo 16.

Edited by ThePlanets

5 hours ago, tedrick said:

hot dog corps is a bit nicer

Doesn't it require missing 3 consecutive shows to get a hot dog?

to me a legendary show has to transform and transcend the activity.  Set a new standard and move the activity in a different direction not anticipated or seemingly possible at the time its initiated.    Dispite being very good,  not sure SCV reaches that threshold with this show.

Edited by brians
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, ccklinefelter said:

Here's a big question: do you mean legendary in the context of highly-loved, or game-changing?

Personally it seems like we have one TRULY game-changing show once every 13 years or so, starting with SCV '89, then Cavies '02, then Bloo '16. These shows really changed the course of the sport. (Also not to dis Star '93, that would definitely be an honorable mention on this list)

Then there's highly-loved, like E=mc^2 or Spartacus. Fantastic show, but it didn't really change DCI forever. This is where I think Babylon will fall.

You naming SCV 89 as a game changer makes me giggle. And then to cap it off you name 93 Star as an honorable mention :spitting:

• Like 1

17 hours ago, ccklinefelter said:

I would add early 80's Cadets to this list.  I can remember sitting in the stands watching the Cadets fast paced drill and z pull for the first time and thinking to myself I could not believe what I was seeing.  That type of drill, and fast paced  marching just blew me away.  I thought to myself no one was anywhere close to doing something like that at the time and just wow.  Hard to believe that when looking at the old tapes today and what corps are doing now, but at the time it was mind blowing.  It is really fun to be apart of seeing something like this.  When a show reaches the legendary level you will know it.... you will have a sense of jaw dropping awe you simply cannot explain unless you experience it.

18 hours ago, whitedj2002 said:

SCV has the highbrow show of '18. Perhaps not the most accessible but...the babel speaks to me...

what-you-did-there-i-see-it.thumbnail.jp

As a FMM and parent, I see Babylon as a game changer in the context that * it’s the Santa Clara Freaking (Cave)Guard * doing it— not Bloo, or BD, or Crown. These were the folks that were all about subtlety. They wore spiffy uniforms, with nice green hats. They were cruising along quite nicely until they forgot they were on the autobahn, then Crown and Bloo flew past them in the left lane at high triple digit speeds. Suddenly their ‘89 Bentley Turbo R wasn’t so fast anymore. (I raced NHRA for 17 years so going fast is second nature.) 

No more. They’ve ditched the look, and taken off the gloves. Last year was a start but this year is— at least in this alum’s view— an entirely different level of SCV being really angry on the field which, with all due respect, GR never really allowed us (his corps) to do. This restraint was continued in succeeding years. 

They have now fully embraced the model taught at the Michael Bay School of Show Design (“I want EXPLOSIONS! I want GIANT ROBOTS!! I want DINOSAURS!!! I want...EXPLODINGGIANTROBOTDINOSAURS!!!”, as he waves his arms expansively.) 

(Open neck shirt, gold chain wearing executive producer...) 

You want acrobat musicians? Give ‘em two!!

You want a loud hornline on pace for an Ott? Check!

You want Maynard Ferguson clones up front, on a mic?? Give ‘em three!

You say a Hip hop modern look is where it’s at?? YO!! 

Trombones??? Fuggedahboutit!!

You want Outdoor BLAST? Gotcha covered!!

Dance? We got ur dancers, oh yeah!!

In your face drumline? Are you kiddin’? Sheesh!! Where you been? 

Props? Yeah, we got those too! Just wait until my guys figure out how to make ‘em remote controlled like those robot vaccuum cleaners; it’ll be the wave of the future, baby!!

If SCV pulls this off come the last Saturday of the season the balance of power shifts West, and performers have another championship contender to choose from. And, they have a farm system that is thoroughly dominating the Open Class landscape from which to mine talent! Imagine SCV contending every single year...not every 10 or 20. That’s a game-changer right there. 

Edited by TRacer
Stupid autocorrekt!
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1