DCI World Champs Semi Finals - Aug 10, 2018

Just now, BostonLUck said:

A rough run for Phantom, they sounded tired... or out of breath... intonation, articulation and dynamic issues throughout. We may see Mandarins make their move.

Crossmen were only .6 back last night. We could see two corps make their move.

• Like 2

I just can't get into this show. Also there's still glimmers of Phantom in the sound, agreed, but that visual package, and the guard especially, I don't even know if I'd call that Finals worthy. What's happened to this program? Rick was in charge in 08, right, so at least the guy at the top has stuck with it. Any insights? I'd love to see a competitive Phantom playing Phantom shows again.

Just now, BostonLUck said:

A rough run for Phantom, they sounded tired... or out of breath... intonation, articulation and dynamic issues throughout. We may see Mandarins make their move.

I agree. From the opening statement, I thought they sounded rougher than yesterday. I wouldn't be surprised to see Mandarins leap frog over them at least for tonight. Then tomorrow could be a whole other story if Phantom kicks it into gear again.

Phantom is th first corps I haven’t thought “wow they’ve cleaned up”. Felt dirty to me and the show seemed to go on forever. Not a good sign. I could see them falling to 11th or 12th place. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Cadevilina Crown said:

I'm gonna have to take a listen to that soundtrack. Don't remember hearing about its inclusion in the repertoire.

I don't think Angels in America was in their official announcement, but it's clear (at least to me) that it's the piece with a more New World melody.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, KVG_DC said:

There's a lot of neat things musically going on in this show.  They don't quite get to that classic Phantom sound long enough.  There's some glimmers of it in some of the hits that sound rich top to bottom with that low brass sound, but they don't sustain those moments 

I think the talent is there both visually and musically.  This show just does not have that sustained GE as you are picking up on...that is where Mandarins will pass them.  Phantom performs much stronger individually but the vehicle is just not there.

• Like 1