DCI World Champs Semi Finals - Aug 10, 2018

11 minutes ago, dcsnare93 said:

Yeah, I believe they took 1st in Open Class in 2012 iirc.

Exactly.  They won Open Class in 2012 and then announced the move to World at the end of the season.  

I remember it all too well as my son marched OC both of those years!

Edited by luv4corps
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Jake W. said:

BDB was quite nice, but I see no reason why Crest & potentially even Music City should be behind them when scores come out.

I agree.  BDB was missing something.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, CrownBariDad said:

With the Coco movie just released, the Dia de los Muertos theme was BIG at the Mexican pavilion at EPCOT this year. 

I bet! It's quite a neat celebration to experience. I don't travel to Mexico a whole lot anymore but happened to be in Puerto Penasco during it one year.

• Like 1

Loved MCDC! What an entrance! Very cool Solis, then they were just a train wreck haha! Hallelujah was beautiful! 

PC was very good... enjoyed them 10fold more than last year. Nice sound!

BDB clearly the best performers so far and my Mom's favorite so far.

My personal preference

1. MCDC

2. OC

3. Genesis

I really think BDB missed out on a great opportunity to use Remember Me as their ballad this year! 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, DrumCorpsNutt said:

They weren't officially World Class that year....but they were allowed to perform with World Class.

From Oregon Crusaders website:  "In 2013 the corps was awarded the ability to perform with the elite DCI World Class before it officially became World Class in 2014."

Interesting. So in 2013 they were ... In-Between Class?

Is Music City not really World Class this year? Was Genesis not really World Class last year?

I'm wondering if this is a distinction without a difference.

Is it just that Oregon didn't get the financial advantages of being World Class in 2013?

Since they didn't compete in Open Class events in 2013, then I think for purposes of this conversation, about how they scored in their World Class debut, that we must use their 2013 results.

8 minutes ago, luv4corps said:

Exactly.  They won Open Class in 2012 and then announced the move to World at the end of the season.  

I remember it all too well as my son marched both of those years!

That's awesome. Dreaming In Color is easily one of my favorite OC shows.

Just now, dcsnare93 said:

That's awesome. Dreaming In Color is easily one of my favorite OC shows.

That was truly a special show... for me it was the Eric Whitacre 'Sleep' opener.  I melted into liquid every time I heard/saw that.

23 minutes ago, MusicalFrog said:

BDB is having a decent performance right now if anyone is interested. This show is not my cup of tea, but the performers are great, as usual.

I didn't care for it much at Avon Lake, but in Michigan City, I found I liked it a lot more. Yesterday looked and sounded sharp. I didn't have a chance to watch much of today's performance, but I saw some visual slips.

17 minutes ago, dcsnare93 said:

It's based on The Day of the Dead, a Mexican tradition  where the living honor and celebrate loved ones who have passed on.

The number of shows this year with variations on a general theme of 'Death' makes me wonder if last fall, at some secret undisclosed location Corps designers decided this years theme should involve 'Death'