The Cavaliers 2019

This is one of the most subtle and mature designs Cavs have had in a good while. Very nice!

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Jake W. said:

B) THE BRASS THE BRASS THE BRASS. Full confession, Cavies have never been my favorite corps, and when playing drum corps shows to model to students beautiful brass ensemble sounds, they uh...well, have never been near the top of that pack for me. Power, yes; richness & tone quality, no.

Have you heard 2002-2009?  Quintessential characteristic brass sounds on the football field.  Tone, intonation, quality of sound were untouched then.  A concert brass ensemble on the field.

That said glad you liked the product, I'm excited to see where they go this year!

Edited by drummer5485
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Forevergreen said:

I saw the video. I very much liked what I saw.  Wish they used more of the field but the brass sounded great even on an uploaded video(which I assume  was from a phone).   The ballad is so good.

Using the whole field is a 2000s thing. Get with the decade :bigsmile:

Agree that the horn line sounds boss, and the whole show design is much more mature than in the last few years. They have some room to work in the top 3 here from a content standpoint.

Edited by Slingerland
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Jake W. said:

Full confession, Cavies have never been my favorite corps, and when playing drum corps shows to model to students beautiful brass ensemble sounds, they uh...well, have never been near the top of that pack for me. Power, yes; richness & tone quality, no. 

You must be very young. 

The entire activity has risen to a new level of brass standards because of what David Bertman did in the 2000's. 

• Like 5

34 minutes ago, Slingerland said:

Using the whole field is a 2000s thing. Get with the decade :bigsmile:

Agree that the horn line sounds boss, and the whole show design is much more mature than in the last few years. They have some room to work in the top 3 here from a content standpoint.

True about field use.  I guess there is a smaller area to be from the wrong side of the tracks these days. 😂  I am eager to see this live.

6 minutes ago, HolyNOLA said:

You must be very young. 

The entire activity has risen to a new level of brass standards because of what David Bertman did in the 2000's. 

I must admit that the original Sauce shows were before my time. My first live show was Quarterfinals in Bloomington in 2008. I've done my research on the old SCV, Phantom, Cadets, Star, etc shows over the years, but my distaste for Cavaliers' brass sounds during my tenure of following the activity has never encouraged me to familiarize myself with their early 00s masterpieces (I also admit I have a natural disdain for original music on the field). For what it's worth, I did have a number of students in the early 2010s get REALLY into Machine/Frameworks/Spin Cycle etc., in the way that high schoolers often do, as sort of a hero worship. So, it sounds like I heavily misspoke --- Cavaliers' brass sound of the last decade was what I should have referred to. 

Either way, last year's brass sound got me on board, and this year is just a giant step forward! I was in love with what I heard last night...through a cellphone recorded Youtube video!! Absolutely no questions as to why they beat BD in brass, a corps whose last few shows I do often pay as models for students of on-field brass blends (especially high brass). Couldn't be more excited for The Cavaliers this year, and apologies for the misspeak on brass sounds!