YEA suspends operations of Cadets 2 and Lays off 9 Employees

7 hours ago, seen-it-all said:

Define "heavily." You've stated this often so I take it that you're "in the know" on just how heavily the Cadets have relied on C2 talent to fill their ranks in recent years. What kinds of numbers are we talking about exactly?

A fair question. I know a "few" but that's me being a blind man holding the trunk of the elephant. So there have been at least "some". I've never seen hard numbers bandied about. IIRC, a couple of years back, the MBI website listed names of recent performers who moved into various DCI WC and OC corps to perform. Never seen Cadets or C2 ever have a hard list like that. it doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

Just a thought here on that...

Just say... for argument's sake, 20-30 C2 members one year move up to any DCI WC corps. I'd think most of us would think to ourselves, "Wow! That's pretty daggone good!" and be impressed.

Potential students and their parents perhaps think... "That's only 1/4 to 1/3 of the corps. That's really bad odds!"

We know how hard it is now to be offered a contract with one of the top 12 WC now. Many of these prospects aren't quite as realistic. They're usually the star in their HS program. The problem is they're competing against every other special snowflake from other schools and kids from some elite programs and aren't ready for that realistic shock.

Perhaps that's why those numbers have been held close to the vest. I don't know.

11 hours ago, BigW said:

Perhaps that's why those numbers have been held close to the vest. I don't know.

I can see why the corps themselves might not feel the need to release such info, but this is an individual making the claims. I'm just curious how he defines that word "heavily" in terms of actual numbers.

I do know that as late as 2016, those numbers couldn't have been very high because the quality of talent in both the Cadets percussion and brass sections was still superb. After those staffs broke up and went elsewhere, the quality of talent at the Cadets dropped noticeably, so I can see how picking up more former C2 members may have been a necessity. How many kids, however, I don't know. Were there more C2 kids in the 2017 corps than in 2018? With the corps seemingly doing better from an overall performance standpoint, would that have meant more opportunities for former C2 members in the 2019 Cadets or less? After all, the more of a draw the Cadets are as a destination to march for more upper-shelf talent (like they were up through 2016), it becomes more difficult to land a spot for the inexperienced performer that typically marches C2. Just some food for thought.

Also, it should be noted that it wasn't unusual for Cadets members (whether they used to march C2 or not) to join C2 after DCI was over in order to fill out their ranks for the last push to DCA Finals. So an argument can be made that overall, from a competitive standpoint, C2 benefitted just as much (if not more) from an infusion of talent from the Cadets than the other way around. Then again, C2 wouldn't have existed in the first place without the Cadets so there's that. And any talk about putting the DCI corps on the shelf for a year in favor of keeping the DCA corps running is complete and utter lunacy in every imaginable way.

• Like 2

DCI members jumping to a DCA corps to fill ranks is not unusual and been going on since at least mid 80s that I saw. Jumping in before anyone thinks this is a Cadets thing only 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

DCI members jumping to a DCA corps to fill ranks is not unusual and been going on since at least mid 80s that I saw. Jumping in before anyone thinks this is a Cadets thing only 

Oh, I agree. Just saying that with C2 being in-house within the organization and even some staff members jumping over to help them out for the final push, it was more of a direct pipeline from one DCI corps than most other DCA corps would typically get.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Heh I forget what year a Cadet came in to perform with us-- Maybe '82? Nice guy, was good to be around, and we did have to work on him to get him to loosen up on the hits. :laugh:

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, BigW said:

A fair question. I know a "few" but that's me being a blind man holding the trunk of the elephant. So there have been at least "some". I've never seen hard numbers bandied about. IIRC, a couple of years back, the MBI website listed names of recent performers who moved into various DCI WC and OC corps to perform. Never seen Cadets or C2 ever have a hard list like that. it doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

Just a thought here on that...

Just say... for argument's sake, 20-30 C2 members one year move up to any DCI WC corps. I'd think most of us would think to ourselves, "Wow! That's pretty daggone good!" and be impressed.

Potential students and their parents perhaps think... "That's only 1/4 to 1/3 of the corps. That's really bad odds!"

We know how hard it is now to be offered a contract with one of the top 12 WC now. Many of these prospects aren't quite as realistic. They're usually the star in their HS program. The problem is they're competing against every other special snowflake from other schools and kids from some elite programs and aren't ready for that realistic shock.

I know some kids that moved up...and some that moved on...all for a plethora of reasons. The good news is kids DID move up, which helps. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, BigW said:

Heh I forget what year a Cadet came in to perform with us-- Maybe '82? Nice guy, was good to be around, and we did have to work on him to get him to loosen up on the hits. :laugh:

84 or 85 we had 2 sops . Guys were so wound they thought we would be upset that they didn’t know the music and all we wanted was a warm body instead of a hole in the drill. Later one was asked how did it feel to win(?) DCI and then not even make DCA finals. Lol

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, Fran Haring said:

Like the corps' song/motto says... "For Holy Name Shall Always Be." 

Not "For Holy Name2 Shall Always Be."  :laughing:

ouch!

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

We had a few over the years.

Two of them left after 1979 to join the Madison Scouts, 1980-81... one filled a spot for us down the stretch in '81, then stayed for another full season in '82 before moving to the Midwest.

Picked up another guy from BD during the '82 season.

Edited by Fran Haring