“Failure to Protect”

25 minutes ago, karuna said:

NDA's?  You severely overestimate the sophistication of DCI and it's member corps.  Many staff members are *still* hired without a formal contract (although perhaps that has changed in the past few months).  

Focusing only on moving forward without rooting out the rot will results in lots of great sounding ideas and no real change.  It will take both.  

Your correct rooting out the rot is necessary as long as the focus is on moving forward. Look at the post above about the Seneca Optimists it took 40 years to resolve. Maybe we should have been calling for Don's head (Dan / Don what's the difference) the new boss, just like the old boss. But the length of time this dragged out can't become our legacy with cases just lingering forever. 

Edited by Bluzes
typo

1 hour ago, garfield said:

Did he?

Can you clarify, please? Is it your contention that DA was ignorant about GH, Crossmen, Genesis, OC and all the other myriad  scandals surrounding our cherished activity? I am not asking about what he did or did not do. I am asking did he know anything. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Bluzes said:

This is where I go wrong posting here, I am not a teacher or use dci as a livelihood. I realize bringing negative light on teachers is not a place to go here. I mean no harm I know 99 % of our teachers are great people. The Failure To Protect has worked me up by taking aim at dci when the problems emanated  from the school districts. That rings clear, why didn't the author site the Texas & Oregon School Districts or where ever instead of drum corps. Folks in Philly and the general public would be more enlightened by sexual misconduct in the school district than unknown drum corps, their kids go to school may not be in drum corps. Why is the author limiting her reach and missing the point so much, is her uncle up next to take over for Dan or something?

It's a new day it does not matter how different Band Originations are run they shouldn't  escape scrutiny. Fly under the radar when their schools are breading sexual predators? Dci has an issue that it can only put a band aid on at best. The problem is an influx of these individual who already ruined students lives in a school environment and the answer is dci needs to be run better fire everyone who got us to this point but don't go anywhere else here? What about the kids that were already affected, it's OK for that to go on just don't bring it to DCP? Or should I just duck my head in the sand and believe dci has a chance of fixing this on their own?

Bringing light on teachers is not a bad thing. It happens all the time, and it should continue. As I said in a different post, NJ just implemented a "Don't pass the trash" law to help stop the ability of teachers to move from district to district after  engaging in inappropriate behavior.

As for the articles, George Hopkins' behavior, that started these news articles, had nothing at all to do with schools. You are still somehow trying to tie drum corps and marching band together, which IMO is not valid. These articles started with Hopkins, and they have morphed in further drum corps examples. Nothing wrong with that. She writes for a PA news organization, and Hopkins worked in Allentown. 

Band circuits are just not remotely organized as you seem to think. The bands who compete in band competitions, be it BOA, USBands, etc, are not "their" bands, as DCI corps are "their" corps. The bands just sign up to compete at shows, or host a show. They are not integral to the operation of any particular circuit; they are not controlled by the circuits. The school districts bear all responsibility to monitor and control the people who work with children of all ages in their district. 

There are news stories all over the country about teachers and other staff being caught and punished for their behavior. they do not get a free ride when caught, and hopefully more will be caught and either prosecuted or at least removed from any contact with students....be it band, sports, clubs, or any school activity.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Fran Haring said:

We had to go to our school cafeteria which was on the basement level, and get under the tables.

Because hey.... the first place targeted by Soviet military planners would be a Catholic grammar school in the NJ suburbs. :laughing:

• Haha 2

15 hours ago, Tim K said:

If an allegation of sexual abuse of a minor was reported to DA directly, he would be considered a mandated reporter. He might be considered a mandated reporter in some states if a person spoke to someone at DCI hq. if he learns of an allegation  through the grapevine, he should make sure it has been reported, but legally whether that makes him a mandated reporter is unclear, civilly is a different matter, and interstate adds a whole new dimension. 

Unless a huge coverup from the top down is involved, the chances of DA being charged for failure to report abuse would be slim to none. Whether a lawyer could maneuver things in a civil lawsuit against him is a different matter.  

I'm not sure your definition of a "mandated reporter" is correct, hence my question about Dan. What makes a person a mandated reporter is defined in the laws...that vary by state. Some states define the categories of people who are mandated reporters...some do not specify job categories at all. Some states say that anyone can report abuse; these people are identified as "permissive reporters". Defining a person as a "mandated reporter" needs to be accurate, as the term has legal meaning. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

They made us do the same exact drill for tornadoes.  So I guess tornadoes = thermonuclear warfare in the Chicago suburbs of the ‘60’s.  Who knew?

My elementary school desk was so sturdy, big, and strong and nailed to the floor so tightly, that to this very day I believe a direct hit on my classroom by a Nuclear Blast gave me at least a 50-50 chance of making it out of there alive.

• Haha 3

Our memories are shaped by our experiences back then. Its like a friend of mine who said to us "  I recall the snow was much bigger back in our young kid days. The drifts of snow much bigger, taller back then "  Of course we had to remind him .... " thats because you were 3 feet 6, at the time, you dope ":biggrin:

• Haha 2

39 minutes ago, MikeD said:

Bringing light on teachers is not a bad thing. It happens all the time, and it should continue. As I said in a different post, NJ just implemented a "Don't pass the trash" law to help stop the ability of teachers to move from district to district after  engaging in inappropriate behavior.

As for the articles, George Hopkins' behavior, that started these news articles, had nothing at all to do with schools. You are still somehow trying to tie drum corps and marching band together, which IMO is not valid. These articles started with Hopkins, and they have morphed in further drum corps examples. Nothing wrong with that. She writes for a PA news organization, and Hopkins worked in Allentown. 

Band circuits are just not remotely organized as you seem to think. The bands who compete in band competitions, be it BOA, USBands, etc, are not "their" bands, as DCI corps are "their" corps. The bands just sign up to compete at shows, or host a show. They are not integral to the operation of any particular circuit; they are not controlled by the circuits. The school districts bear all responsibility to monitor and control the people who work with children of all ages in their district. 

There are news stories all over the country about teachers and other staff being caught and punished for their behavior. they do not get a free ride when caught, and hopefully more will be caught and either prosecuted or at least removed from any contact with students....be it band, sports, clubs, or any school activity.

public school teachers in 48 of the 50 states (when last i was trained) are mandatory reporters of abuse towards children.  

it's the law. 

abuse still happens, but there is a regulated and enforced system in place for reporting and acting on it for nearly all teachers and administrators in the country. 

the same isn't remotely true for DCI, which was kind of the point of the article, right?

i assume that's one of about 100 reasons why the PI didn't conflate a nonprofit youth activity with public education

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, MikeD said:

Thank You there is a lot being done, hopefully, it will make it easier for dci who is stuck in the crossfire and we stop having to post about negative news. 

54 minutes ago, MikeD said:

I'm not sure your definition of a "mandated reporter" is correct, hence my question about Dan. What makes a person a mandated reporter is defined in the laws...that vary by state. Some states define the categories of people who are mandated reporters...some do not specify job categories at all. Some states say that anyone can report abuse; these people are identified as "permissive reporters". Defining a person as a "mandated reporter" needs to be accurate, as the term has legal meaning. 

Correct , mandated reporter is defined by what your job is (teacher, child care worker possibly), not by actions (someone told you something) done to you.

For example after Sandusky, PA added more job titles to people who are mandated to report. 

Edited by JimF-LowBari