Sign in to follow this  
garfield

Justice Dep't Reviewing Music Licensing Decrees

Recommended Posts

"The June 5 announcement by the DOJ’s antitrust division comes after the two groups—the American Society of Composers, Authors and Publishers (ASCAP) and Broadcast Music Inc. (BMI)—urged the department to create new rules that would allow them to secure fairer terms from broadcasters and other public venues."

https://news.bloomberglaw.com/mergers-and-antitrust/justice-department-to-review-music-rights-licensing-deal-renewal

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks sir for bringing this to our attention. It may be pivotal in many ways as an activity and personally.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Reading the article, this does not sound like good news.  😔

Mike

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm certainly no attorney or copyright authority, but this doesn't sound good to me either. Another money grab. There has to be some middle ground somewhere. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In theory a more open market would allow lower fees. The problem is there are only two groups. Not a lot of competition there.  It's basically more the effect that the drop in revenues has had on the music industry which ties to the downloading era, where they went from so much money they didn't know what to do with it all to next to nothing. They've been scrambling for years to try and get the money back, and to be truthful, though they wouldn't admit it- the time BITD where performance rights were overlooked/ignored was because they had so much money incoming and really didn't care.

 

A wait and see situation from the looks of it. Keep in mind if fees go beyond affordability, they get nothing. No one will purchase.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BigW said:

In theory a more open market would allow lower fees. The problem is there are only two groups. Not a lot of competition there.  It's basically more the effect that the drop in revenues has had on the music industry which ties to the downloading era, where they went from so much money they didn't know what to do with it all to next to nothing. They've been scrambling for years to try and get the money back, and to be truthful, though they wouldn't admit it- the time BITD where performance rights were overlooked/ignored was because they had so much money incoming and really didn't care.

 

A wait and see situation from the looks of it. Keep in mind if fees go beyond affordability, they get nothing. No one will purchase.

I have no doubts their lobbyists have made the right visits

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pretty sure this is only talking about the blanket license fees that venues like bars, restaurants, and other organizations pay to play music in their venues. When you go to sporting event and they are playing music on the PA system, or you go to a bar and their is music playing, or you go to the mall and hear music, or pretty much any public or private space and you hear music, then that venue has paid an annual fee (blanket license) to play that music. This is totally different than the Permission to Arrange and the Sync License copyright issues that DCI, BOA, and WGI have to contend with.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jeff Ream said:

I have no doubts their lobbyists have made the right visits

No argument there, for certain.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, combia1 said:

Pretty sure this is only talking about the blanket license fees that venues like bars, restaurants, and other organizations pay to play music in their venues. When you go to sporting event and they are playing music on the PA system, or you go to a bar and their is music playing, or you go to the mall and hear music, or pretty much any public or private space and you hear music, then that venue has paid an annual fee (blanket license) to play that music. This is totally different than the Permission to Arrange and the Sync License copyright issues that DCI, BOA, and WGI have to contend with.

Yes. Totally separate sides of the law.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.