Pasadena, CA - Saturday, June 29, 2019

Edited by Den8uml
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, flammaster said:

BOA is for those people.

A lot of the same people design for both BOA and DCI.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, jasgre2000 said:

Sorry. That was rude on my part.

All good 🤠

18 minutes ago, oldbandguy said:

OK...Raise your hand if you think Bloo is currently in the lead.

1561737991_Everyone-Flopped-on-Climate-C

Can't resist sharing this trivia about that picture: movie star Elizabeth Taylor's seventh and final marriage was to construction worker Larry Fortensky (they met in rehab at the Betty Ford Center). The wedding took place in 1991 at Michael Jackson's Neverland Ranch. And who officiated the ceremony? The woman in light blue at the far left in your picture.

1 hour ago, MikeZ said:

I'm about as big a Vanguard fan as there is. My daughter is named after Gail Royer. I wear the 92 Vanguard tour shirt to finals every year.

That said....Vanguard does not march and play. At all. If bodies are moving on the field battery/pit/soloist/small ensembles are playing. It was bad last year, it's worse this year. They sound unbelievable. They should. They are standing still.

My enjoyment of the show is ruined, because I spend the whole time checking to see if anyone is moving and playing. I try to ignore it, but I'm a visual guy. That's what I do...I clean feet.

Z

Missing Pete Webber.

Last year the design was so aethetically pleasing that for me it overcame this problem.

Why no score for Impulse? Right now the recaps show Open Class corps at this show as:

1. 55.70 Gold

2. 52.65 Golden Empire

3. 49.75 Vessel

4. 46.95 Watchmen

6. 40.85 Incognito

So obviously Impulse was fifth, and yet they're missing.

I missed the score announcements? Were they announced as fifth?

9 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Surely it's not just one aesthetic over that period?

That's an intriguing question. 

Their design language changed pretty dramatically in 2008. The corps moved towards the use of simple white props, they started modifying their traditional uniforms, their approach to drill started to move towards staging rather than traditional marching, and I felt that even the corps sound and balance was different (and this sound is something that really attracted me to the corps). 

As the years passed it became very obvious that the corps had moved to a very different direction than what they had in the early to mid 2000's. They were staying true to their jazz roots but a certain formula was starting to emerge: a bright but balanced sound with screaming soloists, heavy use of white props, heavy use of the drum set in the pit, a big focus on transitions and staging, and a guard that was pushing boundaries in terms of equipment, choreography, and role in storytelling. 

I think the progression of this style culminated into the 2014 show that really brought forth the best of everything of their new style. In 2015, I think they began an evolution of the style started in 2008 rather than a complete transformation like we saw in 08. The props became more complex, they started experimenting with pop music, they started using more original music, they started to quote themselves and use these quotes as their "signature" so to speak, etc. 

So to answer your question, I would say that for the most part yes it has mostly been one aesthetic throughout those years, but it didn't happen all at once and there have been small evolutions to that aesthstic as time has gone on

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

[...]

So to answer your question, I would say that for the most part yes it has mostly been one aesthetic throughout those years, but it didn't happen all at once and there have been small evolutions to that aesthstic as time has gone on

Thanks for that very thoughtful answer.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

1 hour ago, MikeZ said:

I'm about as big a Vanguard fan as there is. My daughter is named after Gail Royer. I wear the 92 Vanguard tour shirt to finals every year.

That said....Vanguard does not march and play. At all. If bodies are moving on the field battery/pit/soloist/small ensembles are playing. It was bad last year, it's worse this year. They sound unbelievable. They should. They are standing still.

My enjoyment of the show is ruined, because I spend the whole time checking to see if anyone is moving and playing. I try to ignore it, but I'm a visual guy. That's what I do...I clean feet.

Z

Missing Pete Webber.

Last year the design was so aethetically pleasing that for me it overcame this problem.

Great point! Observing their show, there is more staging than march and play. I agree that the pleasing asthestic of the show last season over came that issue.

As a long time SCV supporter, I'm not a big fan of this year's show yet, I'm all for Avant Garde and outside the box type shows, that said, it's becoming a WGI drumline show with horns staging throughout with the color guard doing their thing.

I'm almost forced to hope this show doesn't win, so that other designers may not follow suit in the future.

Of course the irony is that the aforementioned statement is also forcing me to confront the fact that I may be a dinosaur. 🦖 (smh)

posted from the DrumScorps app

• Like 2

2 hours ago, bluesman said:

I've eaten many plates of crow over the years..... and no.... it doesn't taste like chicken.

Well since the gap between BD/SCV did not narrow or widen, i guess it's a tie for us lol. Until San Bernardino......

• Haha 3