What happened to Madison?

Wow a lot of non answers in this thread 

There's a lot that goes into it but it really boils down to them sticking to their old identity for way too long (made them come across as outdated and uncool) and an administration who doesn't really seem to care to make the proper changes 

Phantom is going through a similar thing 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, queenanne_1536 said:

You're right - talent is absolutely part of the problem. They are a feeder corps now. People go there to get a year or two under their belt in World Class then move on, unfortunately. 

You’re correct. Madison is not a destination corps. No one recruits Wisconsin for talent and Madison is not drinking from the same pool of talent as they did 20 years ago. I heard Madison doesn’t even rehearse in Wisconsin. Maybe last season heartbeat show told us all they’re on life support waiting for the plug to be pulled. Such a shame too. 

17 minutes ago, Stu said:

Nope, not held hostage. Just a delay in the name of competitive equibility and fairness; sort of like the necessary rule of transfering from playing for number 16 Texas A&M to playing for number 1 Clemson.

it's a dog eat dog world, and Madison's last 15 years have basically had them wearing milk bone underwear

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, MikeD said:

I totally disagree with forced retention since it is the members who pay to march. If corps A does not provide a person an experience so that the person wants to stay, I see nothing wrong with that person leaving after the season to try out for corps B. It is incumbent on each corps to provide their members with an experience so that the bulk of the members want to stay.

Also, in the modern DCI world, current members are not always guaranteed a spot for the next year. They have to audition all over again. Your proposed forced membership rule makes no sense, since if a member gets cut from corps A they'd have to sit out a year before they can audition for corps B.

so per Stu, if a kid has a bad experience and wants to go elsewhere, he has to stay or sit out a year? Horse ####

• Thanks 4

9 minutes ago, Stu said:

Nope, not held hostage. Just a delay in the name of competitive equibility and fairness; sort of like the necessary rule of transfering from playing for number 16 Texas A&M to playing for number 1 Clemson.

Your proposal provides neither of these for the members or the corps. It is a phony way to punish paying members who desire to move between corps for whatever reasons they have. 

BTW, only high profile sports have those transfer rules. For most sports kids can move as desired. Plus, a transferring athlete who sits out does not lose a year of eligibility; they are red-shirted. Your rule may cause members to actually miss out on some of their available marching time.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Stu said:

Since this is a competitive environment I have no issues with Open Class being utilized as a feeder system. However, since this is a competitive environment I have a huge issue with World Class corps being used as feeders. That is why I am for some sort of a World Class to World Class red-shirt type system.

Academic sports won't allow NCAA Div I players to direct transfer year to year without a penilty, and major league sports have a waiting period before free agency is allowed.

Perform one year with (open class corps) then go to Blue Devils; fine. Perform one year with Madison and desire to go to Blue Devils, do the next year with (open class corps) or sit out a year, then go to Blue Devils.

While there's little doubt of your passion for this activity (like the passion of anyone reading or posting on DCP), it isn't even realistic to think about.

Apart from the fact that such rule creation would be challenged in any court (Members PAY. That allows them certain rights and latitude including any governance), it pragmatically creates headaches, and perhaps important is having a bit of perspective.

Drum Corps is at best an esoteric diversion directed to a target audience of ex-members, current members, future members, music educators, and allied trades. It isn't big enough outside that universe to have people care who is going where. 

No one in that universe is willing to deal with potential legal issues associated with competitive advantage. Heck the universe is still reeling from legal issues associated with very real member problems.

The best way to retain members is to create high perceived value. Whether that value is being competitive, being inventive, being renown for a particular caption, or something else - value attractiveness will get and keep players - NOT rules.

Now back to my original post - What is going on with Madison?...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

What's going on with Madison? I'm so d**n sick of this s**t. Numerous corps have gone through rough stretches; some resulting in folding, unfortunately. Madison should be so lucky that they are fielding a full Div I corps. If you want to know about rough and tough times, there's a corps an hour and half up I-90 that went through two decades of "down years" while living in the shadow and expectations of the '70s. They persevered and now find themselves back in the middle of the Top 12. I can tell you quite a bit about those "down years." 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, corps8294 said:

If you want to know about rough and tough times, there's a corps an hour and half up I-90 that went through two decades of "down years" while living in the shadow and expectations of the '70s. They persevered and now find themselves back in the middle of the Top 12. I can tell you quite a bit about those "down years." 

What the Blue Stars had was a consistent director, Brad Furlano, who had a vision and kept moving towards it.

Madison has had too much leadership churn since SS left.

Edited by tedrick
churn instead of change
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, tedrick said:

What the Blue Stars had was a consistent director, Brad Furlano, who had a vision and kept moving towards it.

Madison has had too much leadership churn since SS left.

I just want to say how much Brad and the Furlano family have done for the Stars.  They bleed blue up there and its amazing.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1